Do You Guys Expect More From Lou?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Ladd was also a veteran to teach youngsters, he was supposed to be a solid locker room guy, and he got multiple cups as opposed to Leo Komarov, who won – I don't know? – a Gagarin? Why we need Komarov 12/4 with modified NTC on top of Ladd?
Ladd was brought here in a panic because he was a recognizable name, after losing Franz and Okposo. That is all.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Everyone needs to cool down with their PTSD on this board. ******* leaving sucks but let's not be drama queens about this team. This is what we know so far.

GM - Lou who is a GIANT upgrade over Garth Snow
Coach - Trotz who is a GIANT upgrade over Doug Weight.
Forwards - 5 of 6 forwards that were in the top 6 are returning. Bottom six has been totally overhauled. Kovar is the wildcard.
Defense - Only loss is CDH. Jury is out until trade is made to bring in Top 4 dman
Goal - Lehner and Greiss will show big improvement over last year's mess due to A)Bottom six overhaul B)Revitalized coaching strategy as well as the eventual trade for a dman
Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Finally being managed in order to have a successful breeding ground for mid tier prospects. No longer will be a prospect graveyard.

What more do you people want?

What more do I want? A good team!

I find this "whatever, we lost Tavares, at least we have Trotz and Lou" talk so backwards. I didn't love Snow or Weight. I disliked Capuano even more. I really couldn't give a crap if the team had more talent. Jesus Christ "5 of the top 6 are returning." That one guy was John Tavares! I don't think the people despairing for the future of this team are the ones not reacting properly.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
You really believe Snow would have grabbed Dobson and Wahlstrom? I don't.
Yes, I do.

His record outside of top-5 is very good. In his last 5 drafts, he drafted at least 8 guys ready for NHL: Pulock (15), Ho-Sang (28), Sorokin (78), Toews (108), Barzal (16), Beauvillier (28), Bellows (19), Aho (139).

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I also speak English, Russian, and some Swedish (but not Finnish, unfortunately). And I can skate. So what?

He is ******* 3 million guy for 4 years with 7 team no trade clause. It's ridiculous.

Cool, so you can rant in several languages. ;)

Komarov is a hard worker who is here to help change the culture and transition a team that just lost its captain. Lou clearly wanted to bring in a couple players he is familiar with and trusted and did just that in Komarov and Martin.

If Komarov doesn't work out, he can be removed relatively easily or just be a healthy scratch and still probably be more helpful than a Prince or Fritz type. It is not like the Isles need the cap space right now, so it is a non-issue to me until it causes a cap problem or prevents them from adding a player. It isn't my money.

This was a team that has under-performed now for a couple years. Lou might not have trusted the Isles current leadership and wants to make sure that a couple of his guys are in the room, helping out and watching out for players like Barzal, Beauvillier, JHS, Bellows, Pulock, Wahlstrom, Dobson, etc.

Can't we at least see how the rest of the off season plays out and if the team dynamic changes a bit over the coming season before we go crazy?

JPIsles21

Jul 9, 2006

Snow and scouting staff usually chose consensus BPA at their drafts. Especially in the top 10. This draft was easy as both those guys were no-brainers at 11 and 12.

Furthermore, Snow's failure as a GM was due to him 1) hiring incompetent coaching, and not making changes when there was obvious coaching issues, 2) whiffing badly on 2010-2012 top 10 picks (Nino, Strome, Reinhart). Nino is a good player but very badly mishandled, and then sold at a rock bottom price. The other two turned into Eberle, Barzal, and Beuvillier.

Snow was not a good GM because he failed to put things together (coaching, culture, prospect development). However, he did real well converting on his draft mistakes (except for Nino). Unfortunately, it came too late. Guys like Barzal, Pulock, Beau only made an impact in JT's last year. Lots of wasted years prior to that.

Reactions: MJF

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Snow and scouting staff usually chose consensus BPA at their drafts. Especially in the top 10. This draft was easy as both those guys were no-brainers at 11 and 12.

Furthermore, Snow's failure as a GM was due to him 1) hiring incompetent coaching, and not making changes when there was obvious coaching issues, 2) whiffing badly on 2010-2012 top 10 picks (Nino, Strome, Reinhart). Nino is a good player but very badly mishandled, and then sold at a rock bottom price. The other two turned into Eberle, Barzal, and Beuvillier.

Snow was not a good GM because he failed to put things together (coaching, culture, prospect development). However, he did real well converting on his draft mistakes (except for Nino). Unfortunately, it came too late. Guys like Barzal, Pulock, Beau only made an impact in JT's last year. Lots of wasted years prior to that.

Besides Smyth, Snow also never did anything at the deadline.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
without knowing what's going on behind the scenes, i am happy with LL.

it's only been a few months, and he has changed the complexion of the team, more than Snow had in the past 5 years.

i still want to see a few big names added, and if it has to wait until next summer (much better UFA crop), for LL to make a smart, and i emphasize smart, move, then i am ok with it.

i think that this time next year, we will see a much improved roster.

gawd, i hope so.

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
My feeling with Lou is that he's here to institute an organizational philosophy designed for success. It's been a handful of weeks. Let's judge him 3 years down the road. It's not his fault JT is gone, and he hasn't given away any assets to date outside of Eamon McAdam (sp?). Additionally he's sold ownership on the importance of investment in the AHL team which should create a stronger culture of winning in the lower ranks. So when kids come to the AHL team for development they're in a competitive scenario - they can then carry that to the NHL team. And of course he got Trotz on board, which is the most important thing. I feel like we truly don't know what we have in this team as we haven't hired a coach w/ prior NHL experience since Teddy Nolan. I feel like next year could be a total wild card for this franchise.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

This one hurt the most because he acted smarter than the room on it. When the Isles turn came up and Cam Fowler was still on the board I couldn't believe he was going to be an Islander. Buttttttttttttt nope not with Garth making the call!

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
My feeling with Lou is that he's here to institute an organizational philosophy designed for success. It's been a handful of weeks. Let's judge him 3 years down the road. It's not his fault JT is gone, and he hasn't given away any assets to date outside of Eamon McAdam (sp?). Additionally he's sold ownership on the importance of investment in the AHL team which should create a stronger culture of winning in the lower ranks. So when kids come to the AHL team for development they're in a competitive scenario - they can then carry that to the NHL team. And of course he got Trotz on board, which is the most important thing. I feel like we truly don't know what we have in this team as we haven't hired a coach w/ prior NHL experience since Teddy Nolan. I feel like next year could be a total wild card for this franchise.

It's going to be an evaluation and transition year. A lot of things need to happen.

Barzal is the new tip of the sword and his adjustment into that role is the single most important factor for me. He should have plenty of protection at least with so much grit added to the team. Trotz will install his system and that's going to take time and adjustment from the entire squad. One thing I know will happen is that there will not be any passengers on this team, everyone is going to need to commit and skate their asses off. If they don't, they won't be here by the end of the season or definitely by 2019-2020.

The fact that Lou hasn't sent off any assets tells me he's aware of the alternative if this team flounders. If a sell off is required by the trade deadline, we're in good shape with some attractive rentals in Lee and Eberle to shop. That would net us more picks for the draft and also free up even more cap space and roster spots so Lou can go big game hunting next July 1st. He no longer has the Pajama cloud hanging over his head and he'll be prepared as he'll have all season to be ready for it instead of a month. Getting a shovel in the ground for Belmont sometime in the spring also ups his pitch. I think Lou mentioned somewhere that Belmont should be ready in 2 years once the process starts.

If Hunter is here to run the draft, I'd feel good about adding more high end talent to the pool and then the ascension begins in 2019-2020. I think you'll see the anticipated injection of youth into a rock solid system designed to maximize their abilities and being put in a situation to succeed.

Should be an interesting season. I personally think we're going the way of rebuilding, but the door is open for a miracle run at the playoffs.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
It's going to be an evaluation and transition year. A lot of things need to happen.

Barzal is the new tip of the sword and his adjustment into that role is the single most important factor for me. He should have plenty of protection at least with so much grit added to the team. Trotz will install his system and that's going to take time and adjustment from the entire squad. One thing I know will happen is that there will not be any passengers on this team, everyone is going to need to commit and skate their asses off. If they don't, they won't be here by the end of the season or definitely by 2019-2020.

The fact that Lou hasn't sent off any assets tells me he's aware of the alternative if this team flounders. If a sell off is required by the trade deadline, we're in good shape with some attractive rentals in Lee and Eberle to shop. That would net us more picks for the draft and also free up even more cap space and roster spots so Lou can go big game hunting next July 1st. He no longer has the Pajama cloud hanging over his head and he'll be prepared as he'll have all season to be ready for it instead of a month. Getting a shovel in the ground for Belmont sometime in the spring also ups his pitch. I think Lou mentioned somewhere that Belmont should be ready in 2 years once the process starts.

If Hunter is here to run the draft, I'd feel good about adding more high end talent to the pool and then the ascension begins in 2019-2020. I think you'll see the anticipated injection of youth into a rock solid system designed to maximize their abilities and being put in a situation to succeed.

Should be an interesting season. I personally think we're going the way of rebuilding, but the door is open for a miracle run at the playoffs.

Great post, I agree.

Reactions: Wanderson

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think GMs have anything to do with the draft. The scouting department runs the show.

Lou didn't even know the names of the players we drafted in his post draft interviews. Unless they changed their names to "the offensive guy" and "the defensive guy."

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017

I agree it's definitely an evaluation year and as we both stated the coaching change has a lot to do with that. Lou needs to figure out what he's actually working with here before he can begin to sculpt the team in his image moving forward. Will definitely be an interesting year. Additionally - we may be heading to a "rebuild," but it's important to note the stark difference in young talent we have now vs. the last time in 2008. Barzal, Beau, Pulock are already solid contributors on the NHL roster in top-half roles. I think it may be more "rebuild on the fly" or even just not selling off young talent for veterans and keeping the pipeline going. Bottom line - I'm not pessimistic moving forward.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

JPIsles21

Jul 9, 2006
This one hurt the most because he acted smarter than the room on it. When the Isles turn came up and Cam Fowler was still on the board I couldn't believe he was going to be an Islander. Buttttttttttttt nope not with Garth making the call!

I dislike Snow and the job he did. However, while I too wanted Fowler, Snow wasn't the only one that passed. Some of the players taken ahead of him: Gudbransson, Connolly, Burmistrov, McIlrath, Campbell. Fowler fell. Also, we drafted Nino. He's a very good player as of right now. Our mistake in that draft was poorly developing him. Nino is a legit top 6 forward. Fowler is a legit top 4 dman. Nino was not a reach there.

Strome in 2011 was not a reach either. Based on consensus BPA at that slot, you can make an argument that Couturier was it. But it was close with Strome. But again, development seems to be the issue there.

2012 hurt a lot. Reinhart was the worst player taken in the first round (only two skaters in that first round played less NHL games than he has in their career). However, there are lots of scouting services that thought he was the best available player at that slot. The consensus guy would have been Forsberg. But he too fell inexplicably to 12 and then traded for Erat. But Reinhart was pegged as a top 5 talent by a lot of people. Other dmen taken after him: Rielly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba. Snow then turned him into Barzal. Obviously a win there. Just one that cost time.

2013, Pulock at 15, again a consensus pick. Seems like an excellent pick now.

2014, again a huge whiff in MDC, but this again wasn't a reach. He was picked by many as a top 5 pick.

The notion of Garth thinking he's the smartest guy in the room is true with his resignings, coaching personnel decisions, not talking to the media, etc. His drafts have not been wild by any means. He has taken players that were at the time worthy of the spot they got picked. However, they had something go wrong afterwards. Not sure if its bad luck or poor development (probably a combination of both). In 2009 they gave up a ton of assets to trade up to get de Haan. That I suppose was questionable. In 2008 they kept trading down and got Josh Bailey, a move that clearly was a good one in hindsight.

Overall, Snow did a decent job collecting talent. His downfall was his inability to create an infrastructure/culture of accountability, development. Last year's team was a playoff team on paper, in my opinion. I truly believe that a coach like Trotz would've had that team in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Snow was more interested in giving these important jobs to his friends, instead of the best available people. If he did this with coaches, I bet he did this too with other parts of the organization. It's a shame, there were some things he did pretty well. Overall, he just lacked the courage to surround himself with people that challenged him. The culture of nepotism doomed his tenure.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hunter is supposedly free as of today. We've heard no rumors about him with other teams. I doubt we'd see something happen on a Sunday. Lousday maybe?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
And if Hunter does come aboard, I'll be really curious to see in what position. Lou wasn't hired as GM but took that position on (in addition to President) after banishing Snow. I would not be shocked to see Hunter come in as GM and Lou go back to being solely overseer.

Reactions: Wanderson

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Giving his history of picking consensus players high in the draft yes I do. I also believe the same scouts that picked under Lamerillo were the same scouts that would have picked under Snow

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Agreed, Snow always tried to look like a genius at the draft-usually by trading up or down frequently-and usually looked like an idiot with the end result.

He only did that 2 times to my knowledge. In 2008 when he traded down from 5 to 9 and picked Bailey seems like a good move. Moving up from 26 to 16 then to 12 for De Haan is a bit more questionable(they probably could have gotten an equally good player at 16 if De Haan wasn't on the board(and decent chance he would be there at 16) although the 26 to 16 was a good move)

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Developing was always more of the problem than drafting. Lou will fix that.

Scouts draft. The GM’s decisions affect development far more. He picks the approach, the coaches, the players put around the prospects, the timing of their call-ups, etc.

Look at how Holland does it in Detroit. They develop better than anyone, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad