Do You Guys Expect More From Lou?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
And if Hunter does come aboard, I'll be really curious to see in what position. Lou wasn't hired as GM but took that position on (in addition to President) after banishing Snow. I would not be shocked to see Hunter come in as GM and Lou go back to being solely overseer.
Back when Lou took over the GM gig after moving Snow out, John Shannon said on a podcast I listen to that Lou covets the GM title.

It means he gets to go to the meetings that influence the game and he’s the guy to deal with. I don’t see him giving Hunter the GM job as long as he’s here.

I could see him offering Hunter an Associate GM role and telling Hunter he’s the guy when he does decide to quit, but I think Lou wants the day-to-day control for the time being.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Ladd was brought here in a panic because he was a recognizable name, after losing Franz and Okposo. That is all.
panic? i don't think so. the option was Ladd or Prince. i will take Ladd everyday over Prince.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Signing Komarov to 4yrs really killed whatever hope I had in him. I'm still baffled.

It's like walking barefoot into Wal-Mart and insisting on paying 100 bucks for a pair of $5 flip flops because you really need them.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Back when Lou took over the GM gig after moving Snow out, John Shannon said on a podcast I listen to that Lou covets the GM title.

It means he gets to go to the meetings that influence the game and he’s the guy to deal with. I don’t see him giving Hunter the GM job as long as he’s here.

I could see him offering Hunter an Associate GM role and telling Hunter he’s the guy when he does decide to quit, but I think Lou wants the day-to-day control for the time being.
That's a pretty likely scenario.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Signing Komarov to 4yrs really killed whatever hope I had in him. I'm still baffled.

It's like walking barefoot into Wal-Mart and insisting on paying 100 bucks for a pair of $5 flip flops because you really need them.
People are assuming that Komarov was getting 1-2 year, $2 million offers and then Lou crazily offered him 4 years at $3 million per. But I think I recall Lou saying something like, "yeah, it's a crazy salary, but they all are crazy salaries and that's what it took to get him". So maybe Komarov got a close offer elsewhere in the NHL (maybe that salary for 3 years) or in the KHL.

I think the veteran signings have to be viewed through the prism of some of the ELCs the Isles will have over the next several years. Maybe Lou got authority to spend up to the cap to make the team better, and he decided to go with youth (cheap) and bring in some overpaid vets to mentor them.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

we had money to burn, Komarov is a good soldier for the rebuild

also we were caught with our pants down, the team spent too much time trying to convince JT to stay that when he left the dust had already settled

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
People are assuming that Komarov was getting 1-2 year, $2 million offers and then Lou crazily offered him 4 years at $3 million per. But I think I recall Lou saying something like, "yeah, it's a crazy salary, but they all are crazy salaries and that's what it took to get him". So maybe Komarov got a close offer elsewhere in the NHL (maybe that salary for 3 years) or in the KHL.

I think the veteran signings have to be viewed through the prism of some of the ELCs the Isles will have over the next several years. Maybe Lou got authority to spend up to the cap to make the team better, and he decided to go with youth (cheap) and bring in some overpaid vets to mentor them.
Shoulda let him go to the KHL then. He's a dime a dozen player.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
we had money to burn, Komarov is a good soldier for the rebuild

also we were caught with our pants down, the team spent too much time trying to convince JT to stay that when he left the dust had already settled

Agree with this. And what is proven again and again
until they start winning, the Isles will have to overpay for UFAs and even then they may not get them.

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I was also a bit baffled by the years.

But Lou also worked with the guy in Toronto and I'm willing to wait a bit to see what he knows on the inside.

I do know that the guy is respected in the hockey community for his glue-guy attitude and intangibles.

He certainly wasn't given that contract because of any scoring attributes.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
until they start winning, the Isles will have to overpay for UFAs and even then they may not get them.

Absolutely correct. We're the Islanders and we've been a mediocre team at best for 25 years now...we have to overpay for quality players.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
Absolutely correct. We're the Islanders and we've been a mediocre team at best for 25 years now...we have to overpay for quality players.

I don't think people understand this fact. It costs us more to get anyone in here, which is why trades are our best avenue for the time being. It's why, if you want to win this damn thing, you're gonna need to part with some of these prospects when there's still a future upside to be priced in.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I don't think people understand this fact. It costs us more to get anyone in here, which is why trades are our best avenue for the time being. It's why, if you want to win this damn thing, you're gonna need to part with some of these prospects when there's still a future upside to be priced in.

Trades and draft with emphasis on draft. Do not trade high draft picks

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016

This is just another one of these extremely unfair things said about LL. He knows a little bit more than you and I about building a winning team.

For some fans, there is only one thing that matters, points. Im sorry, but it takes a heck of a lot more than that. it takes guts character, etc. LL knows that you need people like LK to win championships. I am embarrassed that most Isles fans don't seem to know this.

If you know that you need this kind of player to win championships, then you must do whatever you can to get this type of player. So LL had to be the best option for the player, who was wanted by several teams for the exact reason LL did. Please Isles fans, wake up. He had to offer Komorov a good deal, otherwise he goes somewhere else, and then we lose the things he brings to the table, nothing to do with points

Reactions: Islander Class

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Lou has been the GM for about 60 days. It is way to pre mature to judge him
Extremely well said. I have been shocked at the lack of respect and faith in a guy who has been as successful as he has. Maybe the Isles fanbase is so young, and youth tend to disrespect older people who have been successful, the exact opposite of what should be

Reactions: Islander Class

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
This is just another one of these extremely unfair things said about LL. He knows a little bit more than you and I about building a winning team.

For some fans, there is only one thing that matters, points. Im sorry, but it takes a heck of a lot more than that. it takes guts character, etc. LL knows that you need people like LK to win championships. I am embarrassed that most Isles fans don't seem to know this.

If you know that you need this kind of player to win championships, then you must do whatever you can to get this type of player. So LL had to be the best option for the player, who was wanted by several teams for the exact reason LL did. Please Isles fans, wake up. He had to offer Komorov a good deal, otherwise he goes somewhere else, and then we lose the things he brings to the table, nothing to do with points
Yea he's so important the leafs made him a healthy scratch in the playoffs and decided to let him walk in free agency. Such an important piece. Real Championship material.

Buddy do yourself a favor and stop making it sound like he just signed Mark Messier. He didnt. Snap out of it.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

Which is why you shouldn't waste 3million on a 4th liner. He's the type of player you get outbid and you say bye and move on. It's the same issue everyone had with Snow's signing of Clutter and Cizikas, we don't have to like everything Lou did just could he replaced snow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou has to stay the course guys and gals. You cannot mortgage the future by trading the Isles best young prospects for short term results. Not unless the trades are young player for young player. Right now he will do well by making hockey trades of say a Ladd, or one of Eberle or Lee, for other veteran players. To shake up chemistry. Lots of cap space too thanks to Judas. Give an example at the deadline. Eberle and retention of salary would fetch a lot from a contender close to the cap. This is something he can exploit. Get creative. Right now the Isles future is Barzal, Bellows, Puluck, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde, Beauvillier. And maybe a surprise turnaround say a Hosang. Keep adding to these players.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Yea he's so important the leafs made him a healthy scratch in the playoffs and decided to let him walk in free agency. Such an important piece. Real Championship material.

Buddy do yourself a favor and stop making it sound like he just signed Mark Messier. He didnt. Snap out of it.
1. leafs scratching him in playoffs doesn't prove your point that you claim, which is that he is useless. Again shortsighted on your part. He could have had a minor injury or something. Assuming makes you look like an ass.
2. Leafs got eliminated in the first round, which means that whatever babcock did, didn't work, did it?
3. I never said we got a mark m guy. I said, that the intangibles he brings are necessary to win championships. People like you think that the only thing that matters is points.
4. You do not know that the leafs let him walk in free agency. The only thing we know is that he signed with us. Maybe in order to get the guy LL knew we needed here, he had to outbid the Leafs, probably the reason it was 4 years instead of 2. None of this proves the leafs thought he was useless.
5. A good example of intangibles being important is Matt Martin. He is not a big scorer, but the Isles didnt make the playoffs in the 2 seasons he wasn't here. The atmosphere, the confidence, the guts, the intangibles are the things we were missing. Also we were missing defensive forwards. LL goes out and gets the type of players that we exactly needed, and short sighted disrespectful people like you bash him. He just filled the team with exactly the tpye of players we need, to the best of his ability, and you bash him? Thats stupid.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Which is why you shouldn't waste 3million on a 4th liner. He's the type of player you get outbid and you say bye and move on. It's the same issue everyone had with Snow's signing of Clutter and Cizikas, we don't have to like everything Lou did just could he replaced snow.
again, you must be another one of these people that thinks that the only thing that matters is goals assists and points. Well not true. Sorry! To win a championship, you need intangibles that people like Leo Komorov brings to the table. Sorry you people cant see this. Plus the arrogance of people thinking they know more about winning Stanley cups than LL does. Are you serious? Anyone that thinks this is really full of themselves

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
People were bashing him on the Devils, and he kept winning CUPS. He just quickly built a leafs team, with point guys AND intangible guys. You have zero experience winning a stanley cup as a GM or player, that means you cannot possibly have the insight LL has in this area.

LL deserves the benefit of the doubt because of his experience and knowledge. Anyone that cannot give him the benefit of the doubt simply has zero respect.

I've also heard stuff like "its what have you done for me lately" etc... Um no. A man that has been in the NHL as long as LL has, and won as he has, knows a lot. And the more years he is there, the more he learns. Some people seem to think that he somehow "lost it" and now in todays NHL he can't win. That is typical disrespectful immature nonsense. You don't get dumber with years, you get more wise.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
It's not possible right now to instantly bring in star players or flashy players. In the meantime, the team needs to play next season, so it looks like while we're not going to be instantly be going gangbusters, Lou is trying to bring in some character guys. The hope is that these aren't guys that are just along for the ride, but will be a positive influence in the locker room and change the losing culture the Islanders have had. Changing culture takes time and persistence. In the past we've had Dollar Bill Guerin and Dead Weight - not real leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->