Do You Guys Expect More From Lou?

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I expected him to solve every problem from resigning Tavares to replacing the night janitors by July 2nd. Total disappointment. Fine, I will give him until next weekend since this is a holiday week.
As long as the night janitors are on a two way. . . .

Reactions: danteipp

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Well he's certainly acquired more slow 4th liners to long term commitments than I expected.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
As of right now, even with Trotz, we are a much worse team than we were when the season ended. Yes, I expect more from Lou. Hopefully we will see that in the next 2-3 months.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So Lou...about the game and rules moving towards speed and skill...

If he was true to his words when he said that, he would have been making signings like the Duclair ones and not the Johnston one

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Not sure how old you are, but this team hasn’t had an NHL level coach or GM in 26 years. We have 2 of the best. If all of your Isle’s fandom happened after Arbour/Torrey, I can understand your being scared. No need to be anymore. Lamoriello and Trotz are winners. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trotz got THIS ragtag bunch to the playoffs (he’s that good a coach). But I don’t believe Lamoriello is done. Relax, it’s July 2nd not Oct. 2nd.

Those who are saying we are back in 2008, puhlease. We didn’t have an 85 point 21 year old star center, we didn’t have a 40 goal scorer, we didn’t have a future 30+ goal scorer in Beauvillier. We didn’t even have a 25 goal scorer (Eberle). We didn’t have a 40+ point Dman (Leddy), we didn’t have a Pulock. This team can score, even without Captain Traitor. Stop with the dramatics, you guys need to go back and look at that 2007-08 team.

Getting better defensively is the key, I’m not just talking our defensemen, I’m talking team defense overall. Coaching and systems will play a key part in fixing that. And If Filpulla and Komarov can help our penalty kill, that’s a bonus. I think Lamoriello knows what Komarov brings to the table after 3 years. And Toronto fans seem to think quite highly of him. So let’s cool our jets on the hatred until we see how these guys fit in.
I go back to the early days. I remember the disaster that was 72-73 with former Rags Phil Goyette and Earl Ingarfield splitting the misery behind the bench that season. And then, Al Arbour. Goals against dropped 106 goals and team plus minus dropped over 300. We are looking at a retooling for toughness. I have a distinct recollection of a Caps player saying after a game near the end of the season that he had been surprised as to how much he had been given to operate. No such room anymore. That's the point. You want to enter our zone, you are going to be punished.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I find the approach quite interesting.....looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
I'm starting to feel perplexed by the disappointment in Lou thus far.

Let's start with an inalienable truth. John Tavares put the Islanders in a terrible hole with his selfish decision-making process. But, emotionally speaking, I've finally begun moving on from that and I think I'm personally seeing all of this a little clearer... and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

1) In a field of terrible goalies, he added the one with the most upside and the most to prove, and did so for less than half of what he was making the year before.

2) He had the best draft of any team in the NHL.

3) Forget character because I don't think it's fair for me to try and quantify that in guys like Komarov and Filppula... but staying fact-driven... they are defensive-minded, intelligent forwards who can make a play on offense every now and then. Isn't that precisely what you want in a bottom six forward? And isn't that even more precisely what a team needs from their forwards following a year where they gave up the most goals in a decade and had the worst penalty kill in the NHL? And for the Corsi crowd... yes I know their numbers were subpar there, but they began the majority of their face-offs in the defensive zone. So yeah, that'll happen.

4) He added Kovar. If Montreal, the Rangers, or the Leafs got them, it would've been regarded as a stroke of genius. He has far more upside than Jimmy Vesey had and that guy was treated like Royalty when the Rangers nabbed him. At the very least, he's capable of being a 4th line center and that's what we paid for.

5) Oh yeah... Barry Trotz.

Is it perfect? No. We need two things. A bonafide 2nd line center and 1st pair/strong second pair defenseman. Those don't just grow on trees, guys. Is there anyone on this board who would've felt comfortable giving up what St. Louis did for Ryan O'Reilly? Me neither. So... what do you want then?

We are still two months of away and there is still plenty of time to land a center and/or a defenseman. I feel like when Tavares bailed, every one of us (absolutely including myself) was in a state of shock and we've all desperately been clamoring for a star to come fill the hole that he left behind. We might land one and I don't think we're done yet. But if we are, then at the very least I'm thoroughly satisfied our patient General Manager didn't gamble away our future for Pacioretty or an O'Reilly.

If the right deal does come along, I trust he'll make it.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Clearly this is a decision to make the bottom forward lines tough and gritty. I’m also curious how this plays out, the top six of Barzal, Beau, Eberle, Lee, Bailey and now Kovar has a lot of skill. The bottom six needs to shake out though as for six spots there is Ladd, Nelson, Kuhnackel, Martin, cizikas, Clutterbuck, Komarov, Filpulla and Johnston all signed one way. Soundtigers also have been signing some good career minor leaguers to improve their roster so something has to give with trades I would think.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I refuse to believe he’s done. If a smart deal doesn’t emerge before the year, then it may during the season.

Last edited:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This team is dog turds and LL built it. We're going to go from having one of the best offenses in the game, to having a bottom 6 that can't skate, can't score and despite popular belief, can't play defense very well either.

I do not understand the point to what he's doing? He said a short few weeks ago how he wanted to build a fast team.

I'm amazed how fast I've gone from feeling such jubilation when he was hired, to utter disgust to the direction he has taken this club. And why is he saddling us with multi-year contracts for borderline NHL players. ugh

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Lamoriello and Trotz have proven to be highly intelligent and very successful managers in their storied hockey careers. Have they lost their minds and joined the Islanders as a result? Are we now seeing their newly developed absent-mindedness in action? Or is their perhaps a method to their madness? Which side of the fence are you on and why?

Why so many signings?
Perhaps they're stockpiling players to see which ones fall and which ones stick?
Maybe they want to shorten TOI to keep players fresh and healthy?
Maybe they're putting pieces in place ahead of a big upcoming trade or two?

Or are they just lunatics?
What do you think?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I just dont understand any of this. I am really just hoping there is some super secret next level plan here that will be reviled all at once, and we will all be amazed. But out of dozens of hockey analyists and talking heads, I still havent heard a single plausible idea of what the f*** LL could be doing here, none.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Yeah ive been trying to stay positive. This is a mess lol. I want to believe they going to be a tough team that focuses on defending, but i really dont have much faith in Lehner, well never win a single shootout with him, but unless Lou plans on dealing some nelsons or clutterbucks, or even a defender to throw in, to bring in another impact player. This could be a long season. We need Barzal to really be the real deal as a 1C or were pretty damn screwed for a few years.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just dont understand any of this. I am really just hoping there is some super secret next level plan here that will be reviled all at once, and we will all be amazed. But out of dozens of hockey analyists and talking heads, I still havent heard a single plausible idea of what the **** LL could be doing here, none.

He's tanking?

It sure looks like he has everything set up to do just that.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This team is dog turds and LL built it. We're going to go from having one of the best offenses in the game, to having a bottom 6 that can't skate, can't score and despite popular belief, can't play defense very well either.

I do not understand the point to what he's doing? He said a short few weeks ago how he wanted to build a fast team.

I'm amazed how fast I've gone from feeling such jubilation when he was hired, to utter disgust to the direction he has taken this club. And why is he saddling us with multi-year contracts for borderline NHL players. ugh
My sentiment as well.
Why four years to Leo?
Why do the Leafs any favors? At least get back a good prospect or drFt pick by taking on MM contract. Instead you give your former team cap relief and we get an overpaid benched fourth liner. You couldn't get a young goalie like Sparks or Pickard?
Plus we gave them a goalie they don't even need.
Filippula doesn't bother me as long as he traded at deadline.
Lehner is not the goalie with the most upside available IMO. He isn't that special at all.
Why not try to acquire a guy like Dansk from Vegas?
I would have preferred Mrazek.
No play for Grubs?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Lamoriello and Trotz have proven to be highly intelligent and very successful managers in their storied hockey careers. Have they lost their minds and joined the Islanders as a result? Are we now seeing their newly developed absent-mindedness in action? Or is their perhaps a method to their madness? Which side of the fence are you on and why?

Why so many signings?
Perhaps they're stockpiling players to see which ones fall and which ones stick?
Maybe they want to shorten TOI to keep players fresh and healthy?
Maybe they're putting pieces in place ahead of a big upcoming trade or two?

Or are they just lunatics?
What do you think?
Fine if they were one year deals.
Plus you delay the youngsters ice time and set the team back a year.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
As of right now, even with Trotz, we are a much worse team than we were when the season ended. Yes, I expect more from Lou. Hopefully we will see that in the next 2-3 months.

More like 2-3 years. I have to believe LL is well-aware there are many GMs and agents looking to capitalize on NYIs perceived “desperation”. Sitting back and loading up on grit/character (i.e. marketable) not the worst thing right now IMHO...

Reactions: The Lighthouse

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
I’m not sure what everyone was expecting. It’s not like teams are lining up to give Lou these great deals. Teams realize the pressure on him to make a move after we were embarrassed in front of the entire hockey world with Tavares jumping ship. The same people who are clamoring for him to make a move will be the same people to rip him if he moves a prospect like ho sang for some defenseman that improves our defense, but weakens the organization.

Now obviously we have a super crowded bottom 6 right now, which either he makes some trades or Bridgeport is that much better off. I still think he makes a few middling moves (my guess is Nelson for a dman and probably clutterbuck for like a fifth or something).

Honestly, I truly think Lou is smart enough to make a move if one becomes available or he’ll make due with what he can get. I’d right him look to upgrade the team in the now with an eye towards the future as well, rather than upgrading at any cost.

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
I'm starting to feel perplexed by the disappointment in Lou thus far.

Let's start with an inalienable truth. John Tavares put the Islanders in a terrible hole with his selfish decision-making process. But, emotionally speaking, I've finally begun moving on from that and I think I'm personally seeing all of this a little clearer... and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

1) In a field of terrible goalies, he added the one with the most upside and the most to prove, and did so for less than half of what he was making the year before.

2) He had the best draft of any team in the NHL.

3) Forget character because I don't think it's fair for me to try and quantify that in guys like Komarov and Filppula... but staying fact-driven... they are defensive-minded, intelligent forwards who can make a play on offense every now and then. Isn't that precisely what you want in a bottom six forward? And isn't that even more precisely what a team needs from their forwards following a year where they gave up the most goals in a decade and had the worst penalty kill in the NHL? And for the Corsi crowd... yes I know their numbers were subpar there, but they began the majority of their face-offs in the defensive zone. So yeah, that'll happen.

4) He added Kovar. If Montreal, the Rangers, or the Leafs got them, it would've been regarded as a stroke of genius. He has far more upside than Jimmy Vesey had and that guy was treated like Royalty when the Rangers nabbed him. At the very least, he's capable of being a 4th line center and that's what we paid for.

5) Oh yeah... Barry Trotz.

Is it perfect? No. We need two things. A bonafide 2nd line center and 1st pair/strong second pair defenseman. Those don't just grow on trees, guys. Is there anyone on this board who would've felt comfortable giving up what St. Louis did for Ryan O'Reilly? Me neither. So... what do you want then?

We are still two months of away and there is still plenty of time to land a center and/or a defenseman. I feel like when Tavares bailed, every one of us (absolutely including myself) was in a state of shock and we've all desperately been clamoring for a star to come fill the hole that he left behind. We might land one and I don't think we're done yet. But if we are, then at the very least I'm thoroughly satisfied our patient General Manager didn't gamble away our future for Pacioretty or an O'Reilly.

If the right deal does come along, I trust he'll make it.
this is the most logical, precise, clear picture of what is truly going on here. Bravo 100% agree

Reactions: Islander Class

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
I think we have to look at it from this lens and please think about it for a moment.

In almost every interview Lou has spoken in, he has brought up the management in Vegas and the stroke of brilliance they've accomplished this past season.

In a peculiar way, the Vegas build could be compared to the isles build

1. The new Vegas players had something to prove because every team they were on gave up on them.

Isles players have to prove something after Judas leaves them out to dry.

2. Mangement in Vegas had to prove what they could do with a clean slate, literally.
McPhee as a GM and Gallant as a freshly fired coach.

LL and Barry Trotz have been given a clean slate and LL in particular has to prove mostly to himself that hes still got it.

3. Culture was big on Vegas as a sticking point for their players. Each player accepted their role on the team and blended together almost like magic.

Isles players have a good bond and with new players LL seems to think can demonstrate the culture chance he wants have been put in place to suceed.

At the end of the day everything has changed since Vegas made the cup. It's not about having the team with the most skill anymore to win, it's about having the right set of players together in the right set of circumstances.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
3) Forget character because I don't think it's fair for me to try and quantify that in guys like Komarov and Filppula... but staying fact-driven... they are defensive-minded, intelligent forwards who can make a play on offense every now and then.
Just saying, Komarov was one of the worst if not THE worst offensive forwards this year, there's no point in trying to rationalize it

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad