Do you believe this team on paper is capable of winning the stanley cup?

Do you honestly believe on paper this team is a cup winning team?

• Yes

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 127 58.8%
  • One...maybeeee two tweaks and then yes

Votes: 36 16.7%
  • I always knew this team was a dumpster fire

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Polls simple. I just would honestly like to know where everyone sits in regard to this question.

Even with Muzzin out I didn't see him as the deciding factor in us winning. I wish him all the health in the world for him and his family but there is still a chance it could be addition by subtraction depending on the replacement.

Having said that, I just honestly don't see this team being stronger than last years team, even when we inevitably string some wins together. I just don't see a deep enough team on the backend and in net especially, to get the job done.

Just wanted to see where Leaf Nation sat with this question.

Have a good one ladies and gents.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yes but due to incompetence we probably have to burn another 1st plus a popular prospect for whats missing. 16 wins in playoffs is grueling, the team as is right now can't but the foundation is there to make noise after a tweak

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yes on paper they can win the Cup. But on the ice, they have not shown that they can win 4 games in a 7 games series.
Funny how Phil, Bozak, And Kadri all won a Cup. While Barrie, Ceci, and Hyman went to the Conf. Finals.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Rielly needs a stay at home right shot defencemen mayfield Comes to my mind someone in that mold wish we didn’t pay him 7.5 we could have built a more safe defensive core

Reactions: Ports

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Sure. Why not?

These is no perfect team, and somebody has to win it.

The future is yet to be seen.

Let me ask you this: On paper, could the Phillies beat the Braves? The Padres beat the Dodgers? I guess so, because they did. That Dodgers team is one heck of a strong team, though.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
All it takes is getting hot at the right time.

Even Edmonton with their patchwork defense made the conference finals with McDavid/Drai getting hot at the right time. Same thing can happen with us with Matthews/Marner.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
They're too soft and too entitled. Mathews is a god but Marner will never match his game, he's like the little brother forever in the shadows. Jealous little guy. Trade Marner for a boatload of talent. Dump Tavares for grit. Stop giving away guys like Lube, get some new guys who can actually instill some fear in the opponents. Get rid of the PC leadership and find some goddamn grit.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’re too soft and which have to change first, but it would be an absolute fluke if they did.

Their backend would have to improve significantly.
Samsonov Murray

Brodie - Keep him he’s good

Rielly - be nice if he was a 3d

Sandin
Liljegren
Giordano
Holl
Mete
Benn

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sure. Why not?

These is no perfect team, and somebody has to win it.

The future is yet to be seen.

Let me ask you this: On paper, could the Phillies beat the Braves? The Padres beat the Dodgers? I guess so, because they did. That Dodgers team is one heck of a strong team, though.
Your comparing baseball to the grind of the SC playoffs?

The Phillies made the playoffs this year?

Reactions: BallardEra

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We have difference makers, so there is always a chance. But, we lack an identity , we’re soft as I’ve ever seen (and that’s sure saying something) and we seem to lack killer instinct. Hard to argue this team is actually better than last year?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We have difference makers, so there is always a chance. But, we lack an identity , we’re soft as I’ve ever seen (and that’s sure saying something) and we seem to lack killer instinct. Hard to argue this team is actually better than last year?
Valid points/questions IMO.

Team is good enough on paper but consistently underachieves in the playoffs. Could be that the team just doesn't have what it takes to win in the playoffs, or maybe it's just one of those things and will be different this season. Their play against TB in the playoffs was encouraging so maybe this season will be different, we'll see. And as always, goaltending is critical and how ours shakes out is still a big question.

I like our chances against anyone but COL. So the way to win is to make the finals and hope someone else has somehow taken out COL for us. :)

Your comparing baseball to the grind of the SC playoffs?

The Phillies made the playoffs this year?
What's wrong with comparing MLB and NHL? Both are both pro sports where upsets happen.

Yes, the Phillies made the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad