Do you believe this team on paper is capable of winning the stanley cup?

Do you honestly believe on paper this team is a cup winning team?

• Yes

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 127 58.8%
  • One...maybeeee two tweaks and then yes

Votes: 36 16.7%
  • I always knew this team was a dumpster fire

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Yes, but the core 4 would all need to be playing peak hockey during the playoffs. Also, one of the goalies would need to get white hot.

Feels very unlikely to have 5 players all playing at their peak every night but I can hope.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
One option was:

One...maybeeee two tweaks and then yes

Tweaks are not necessarily players, but could be.

So a tweak could be line change, system change, coaching change, a player at the deadline ...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What has changed between the beginning of training camp to now, that would change anyone’s mind into thinking they should be considered a contender?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Unfortunately no chance, especially if Muzzin is basically finished. Our backend is too weak.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One option was:

One...maybeeee two tweaks and then yes

Tweaks are not necessarily players, but could be.

So a tweak could be line change, system change, coaching change, a player at the deadline ...
I think there are still 5 unknowns that may need tweaked. 6 if you want to include the coaching. Do they have the capital to fix them?
Valid points/questions IMO.

Team is good enough on paper but consistently underachieves in the playoffs. Could be that the team just doesn't have what it takes to win in the playoffs, or maybe it's just one of those things and will be different this season. Their play against TB in the playoffs was encouraging so maybe this season will be different, we'll see. And as always, goaltending is critical and how ours shakes out is still a big question.

I like our chances against anyone but COL. So the way to win is to make the finals and hope someone else has somehow taken out COL for us. :)

What's wrong with comparing MLB and NHL? Both are both pro sports where upsets happen.

Yes, the Phillies made the playoffs.
I like going to games in Clearwater, even though they always have large crowds, it’s worse if they’re good. If they’re still playing, I hope they lose soon.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
On paper they should be able to be a serious contender, but like any SC winner, would need some bounces.

With the current playing style and attitude? I don't see it happening, as they are too easy to defend against.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think there are still 5 unknowns that may need tweaked. 6 if you want to include the coaching. Do they have the capital to fix them?

If we're talking unknows, there are a heck of a lot more than 6 ...

How many Stanley Cup winners on their team?
How many Stanley Cup winners on their team still capable of playing to their Cup standard?

Yeah, so probably about 18 players who are unknowns, and a coach, and a GM.

So I think you are being too kind. :thumbu:

But for tweaks, we need the 1st. line to be better then any first line they face.
First line and Nylander have seemingly always lead the scoring, but not in any elevated manner.
Maybe the first line doesn't have another gear?
Bottom 6 contributing might indicate the tweak that has occurred there was positive.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I've learned if we upgraded our goaltenders and trade everyone on the third line, and replace them with Clifford - Douglas - Simmonds, we will win, nice, not far off.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes, luck is absolutely a factor in the NHL playoffs. I still believe we are the strongest team in the Atlantic and 2nd strongest in the East just behind Carolina. If a couple players on the opposing teams get hurt that's all we would need. Say we somehow made the finals, Makar gets hurt, or Mackinnon, that's all it would take.

NHL has a lot of luck or good fortune whatever you wanna call it

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I think they could but it really comes down to Matthews, Marner and Tavares. Matthews and Marner are game changers and need to play that way all playoffs. The defence is ok. Not great in my opinion but stable when healthy. They really lacked quality goaltending as well so if samsonov and Murray and play that way they should be fine in net.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Even if Samsonov becomes one of the league's best goalies and Matthews scores 70 goals I wouldn't select them to be a cup champ.

It hurts me to say it, but they are not built to go deep. Not even close. Too many things working against them: lack of toughness, poor coaching, not a very good defense, lack of size, lack of character, etc.

Last edited:

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
I look at the line-up and see holes in the forward depth as well as the goaltending and think no, but I do think our elite players can be so dominate in possession that there might be a chance. I think a lot would have to break our way and there are other teams with less holes that are in a better position.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The timing is the most difficult part. There's a player or two on the team that I can't see going without a Cup for their career. That said, winning even one round in the playoffs has proven to be elusive thus far.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I said yes with a couple of tweaks. We need to improve our defense. I think the forwards are good enough, and have been for two seasons... they need to find a way to get it done. Any maybe they are incapable, but on paper, as the OP asks, yes, they are.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes on paper they can win the Cup. But on the ice, they have not shown that they can win 4 games in a 7 games series.
Funny how Phil, Bozak, And Kadri all won a Cup. While Barrie, Ceci, and Hyman went to the Conf. Finals.
You can include Gunnarsson in the first group and Komarov (twice) in the second, and I'm sure there are more.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Rielly needs a stay at home right shot defencemen mayfield Comes to my mind someone in that mold wish we didn’t pay him 7.5 we could have built a more safe defensive core
Mayfield would be a good partner for Rielly. Big body, hits, solid defensively, and a cap hit of under $1.5M. Just turned 30, and a UFA after this year. Islanders have D but need scoring.

Reactions: geo25 and arso40

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NO

"Good teams are built from the goalie out, through strong defense and strength down the middle" because "Defense win Championships".

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even if Samsonov becomes one of the league's best goalies and Matthews scores 70 goals I wouldn't select them to be a cup champ.

It hurts me to say it, but they are not built to go deep. Not even close. Too many things working against them: lack of toughness, poor coaching, not a very good defense, lack of size, lack of character, etc.
I think management’s plan and expectations is to win a round, keep their jobs and re-tool after the cap goes up. That certainly would be a successful season if they can accomplish that.

Losing in round one or missing the playoffs means changes at the management level and someone else will manage the re-tool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad