Do you believe this team on paper is capable of winning the stanley cup?

Do you honestly believe on paper this team is a cup winning team?

• Yes

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 127 58.8%
  • One...maybeeee two tweaks and then yes

Votes: 36 16.7%
  • I always knew this team was a dumpster fire

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think management’s plan and expectations is to win a round, keep their jobs and re-tool after the cap goes up. That certainly would be a successful season if they can accomplish that.

Losing in round one or missing the playoffs means changes at the management level and someone else will manage the re-tool.
If that is true then their plan lacks ambition. What pro sports team creates a team only to be medium successful?

Reactions: binop7

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If that is true then their plan lacks ambition. What pro sports team creates a team only to be medium successful?
I think the realize they don’t have the resources to fix all the needs so they’ve decided to buy time and hope they can win a round, get their contracts renewed and then use the extended cap to complete the rebuild.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think the realize they don’t have the resources to fix all the needs so they’ve decided to buy time and hope they can win a round, get their contracts renewed and then use the extended cap to complete the rebuild.
Thank goodness Presidents, General Managers, and Head Coaches don't get decade long opportunities to finally win. The people above Shanny are filthy rich, but not that dumb. Zero playoff series wins as a capped out/prospect draft pick empty team should tell them that this management group is unsuccessful at their goal.

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Thank goodness Presidents, General Managers, and Head Coaches don't get decade long opportunities to finally win. The people above Shanny are filthy rich, but not that dumb. Zero playoff series wins as a capped out/prospect draft pick empty team should tell them that this management group is unsuccessful at their goal.
I would have made the change after last season, but the board was sold on being close to breaking through.

Keep your eye on the vibe surrounding the team and the atmosphere in the building on game days and if seats are empty and merch isn’t being sold the board will take notice, other than that, they don’t appear to be too concerned.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would have made the change after last season, but the board was sold on being close to breaking through.

Keep your eye on the vibe surrounding the team and the atmosphere in the building on game days and if seats are empty and merch isn’t being sold the board will take notice, other than that, they don’t appear to be too concerned.

Dummies made the decision to keep all 3 prior to the playoffs. Losing 6th first rounder did not move the needle and promotions reigned this summer with the goalie coach and a couple of others being turfed. The fact that Kyle was not extended does raise some eyebrows.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dummies made the decision to keep all 3 prior to the playoffs. Losing 6th first rounder did not move the needle and promotions reigned this summer with the goalie coach and a couple of others being turfed. The fact that Kyle was not extended does raise some eyebrows.
That’s why he’s managing to win a round. If they get to game 7 of round 2 they’ve had a great year.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I think pretty much any team that finishes the year with 115 points is close to being where you need to be to win a cup. Get a hot goalie and you just never know.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
We are pretty close.
Two little tweaks like say, adding a Makar and a Shesterkin would probably be enough to put us over the top.
Get to work Dubas!
I think we still need an overhaul of the bottom 6 on top of that. But it would definitely be a good start.

Holl
Kerfoot
Niemela
1st

Would that do it?. Seems a popular offer.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
On paper they should be able to be a serious contender, but like any SC winner, would need some bounces.

With the current playing style and attitude? I don't see it happening, as they are too easy to defend against.
Bingo. Nothings changed in that regard over the last 5 years. When push comes to shove their opponents know how to shut them down in crucial games by clogging up the middle of the ice, blocking shots and playing harder all over the ice. The team as constructed cannot win those type of games. Even the Coyotes knew that would work against them. Offensive talent alone won’t win championships.

Reactions: binop7 and egd27

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
They’re too soft and which have to change first, but it would be an absolute fluke if they did.

Their backend would have to improve significantly.
Samsonov Murray

Brodie - Keep him he’s good

Rielly - be nice if he was a 3d

Sandin
Liljegren
Giordano
Holl
Mete
Benn
Exactly we would need a huge step from lily and a good jump from sandin lily more cause our right side is the weak side on defence

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Simple for me. A broken franchise should have a management team in place that can right the ship in 3 years and make them reasonably competitive in 5 years. I think that's been accomplished. Then it's maintaining the competitive team for as many years as possible. The rest is pure NHL PO chance/luck/good and bad fortune. Once the competitive team is built, it's all random bullshit.

I know all the experts here on HF and out there in the media pretend otherwise but you observe the game long enough and you see the Minnesota North Stars make the finals in '91, you see the Habs fluke their way to a cup in '93 etc. One thing that will increase the odds of forever not winning the cup is constantly swapping out your management team even if they actually put together a top 6 in the league team. So HF experts keep following Noodles/Kipper/ODog/Hayes advice

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Look at those results. No wonder this place sucks so hard these days. This isn't a fandom forum, its a depression support group.

I guess thats why most of the best posters and discussions we had have been chased away

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I don't know how or why some on here are so led by the Toronto media in the last few years to actually believe the Leafs have had a legitimate chance of going all the way.
It boggles the mind how so many are so easily convinced of the impossible.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I would just like to point out this poll I created was made before Nick Robertson was on the team...

tenor (49).gif

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Everyone mentions the defence and goaltending but this forward core is one of the most overrated in the league.. pure paper tigers that wilt in big games and can't break through a trap executed by a team of fourth liners like Arizona.. or Columbus.. or Montreal..

I don't blame Dubas, you HAVE to build around Marner, Matthews and Nylander. But they've proven that they can't get it done and early this season already look the same losers as they did in those awful awful playoff runs.

Reactions: Al14 and ShaneFalco

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
lord ppl call me negative ......... its been 5 games ... ffs

just wait till the puck luck turns on this team . They are to p5 in shot diff and scoring chance diff and yet are scoring bottom 5 i the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad