Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
EJ isn’t returning an asset. His contract is definitely negative value. The injuries and unreliable presence on game night roster have made that so. He should be bought out. He can sign elsewhere to make up the difference. Avs ownership isn’t going to piss away $4mm just cause. Nor should they. This is a business. Not a charity. EJs made a lot of money. But he’s no longer worth the roster spot and cap space.

Doubtful they buyout EJ. His 6 million now hurts less than paying him 2 million to not be on the roster after MacKinnon's next raise.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Avs save $4mm pet for the next two years. The backend of that is when the cap is going up again.

I'm aware of that. It's the least sensible of all scenarios nevertheless. MacKinnon won't be the only one with a big pay increase. You also don't know how much the cap will go up.

More likely, they'll retain to trade him. The other more likely scenario is they'll agree to not trade him if he agrees to waive.

Even though he's not living up to 6 million dollars, there's a far more realistic chance he can be helpful to the team in the playoffs especially when compared to someone like Compher.

It's hard to justify buying out EJ when Compher remains on the roster. Thats like you're choosing Compher over EJ. If there's a candidate for a buyout, its Compher. He's the lesser player. His buyout would also hurt less beyond the summer of 2023.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm aware of that. It's the least sensible of all scenarios nevertheless. MacKinnon won't be the only one with a big pay increase. You also don't know how much the cap will go up.

More likely, they'll retain to trade him. The other more likely scenario is they'll agree to not trade him if he agrees to waive.

Even though he's not living up to 6 million dollars, there's a far more realistic chance he can be helpful to the team in the playoffs especially when compared to someone like Compher.

It's hard to justify buying out EJ when Compher remains on the roster. Thats like you're choosing Compher over EJ. If there's a candidate for a buyout, its Compher. He's the lesser player. His buyout would also hurt less beyond the summer of 2023.
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you write. LTIR is probably the best case scenario at this point. I don’t think EJ can be counted on ever again to slot into a top 4 role. You cannot go into a season with that sort of roster make-up. He’s made of glass and that is what it is.

so I don’t agree they should count on him for the next two years. I’m down to retain $2mm and trade him. That’s a solid idea. But I see zero teams taking on EJ right now. Even at $4mm aav, he’s still negative value due to the injury concerns. So I’m not sure your idea is viable.

the worst case scenario is he won’t waive. Because then he must be cut vs exposing important and vastly better players like Bura, Nuke, Jost or Kadri. All of which can be protected in a 7-3-1.

Avs cannot waste a protected slot on EJ. You do buy him out vs allow that to happen.

Reactions: klozge and LTC Pain

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you write. LTIR is probably the best case scenario at this point. I don’t think EJ can be counted on ever again to slot into a top 4 role. You cannot go into a season with that sort of roster make-up. He’s made of glass and that is what it is.

so I don’t agree they should count on him for the next two years. I’m down to retain $2mm and trade him. That’s a solid idea. But I see zero teams taking on EJ right now. Even at $4mm aav, he’s still negative value due to the injury concerns. So I’m not sure your idea is viable.

the worst case scenario is he won’t waive. Because then he must be cut vs exposing important and vastly better players like Bura, Nuke, Jost or Kadri. All of which can be protected in a 7-3-1.

Avs cannot waste a protected slot on EJ. You do buy him out vs allow that to happen.

I think the scenario of retaining would also require a sweetener. How much they’re willing to retain, would determine the sweetener. The sweetener will be necessary so the other GM doesn’t explain to people trading for a guy who is likely to miss significant time. It allows the GM to say, he “really likes this Bowers/Beaucage kid”.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
My hype level is back to where it was when I watched him in the world juniors 2018. His ability to find players and get them the puck although there doesn't seem to be a path at all is incredible. And defensively he has looked really strong (minus a rookie mistake or two) lately. Can't wait for Monday night to see how big a part of this recent rise has been quality of competition and how much is just because of increasing confidence and simply development.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
He has really stepped up his game in the wake of the Girard injury. Whether it’s that he likes being leaned on more, or he’s less nervous about being demoted if he makes a mistake since he is safely in the top six right now, he looks like a totally different player than he did early in the year. He’s been showing a lot more confidence and creativity with the puck

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He still turned in a pretty good game but there's always going to be limits to his game. Defensively he's still not great at securing the puck--he's limited in how physical he can be down low. Tried standing a Vegas player up (was it Roy?) behind the net and the guy basically leapt past him.

The other critique regards some of his unforced errors handling the puck in his own end. Just strange how he can whiff badly with the puck for no reason. He more or less accidentally forced Grubauer to make a save on him last night. I really hope he can clean that up a little better as time goes on.

But admittedly I'm being a bit nitpicky. Can he be a top-four guy? Well...he's not getting top four minutes yet but that's likely because he isn't trusted to kill penalties (frankly I think they should try him there) and doesn't really see any power play time. But he still logged 16 minutes last night and was stapled to Graves for most of the night so...yeah, I think he could be a middle pairing guy. Whether that's with the Avs...that remains to be seen.

Reactions: Balthazar

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He still turned in a pretty good game but there's always going to be limits to his game. Defensively he's still not great at securing the puck--he's limited in how physical he can be down low. Tried standing a Vegas player up (was it Roy?) behind the net and the guy basically leapt past him.

The other critique regards some of his unforced errors handling the puck in his own end. Just strange how he can whiff badly with the puck for no reason. He more or less accidentally forced Grubauer to make a save on him last night. I really hope he can clean that up a little better as time goes on.

But admittedly I'm being a bit nitpicky. Can he be a top-four guy? Well...he's not getting top four minutes yet but that's likely because he isn't trusted to kill penalties (frankly I think they should try him there) and doesn't really see any power play time. But he still logged 16 minutes last night and was stapled to Graves for most of the night so...yeah, I think he could be a middle pairing guy. Whether that's with the Avs...that remains to be seen.

I think the puck errors in the D zone, as well as some of the coverage mistakes, are a clear indicator that Timmins still isn't used to the pace in the NHL. It's not a skating issue it's just an awareness issue.

He hasn't been that bad, but he has struggled with this all year. When he has the puck, he knows Bednar wants him playing at a fast pace as a puck mover, so he tries to move his hands and feet quicker than he's processing the game. Which leads to mistakes.

He's started to process the game in the O zone a lot better though, so I think that's a sign the D zone play could start to improve soon too. That was likely going to come after the O zone improvements anyway.

Hopefully this is just a result of missing so much time and he'll be able to take another step next year, or maybe even in the playoffs. He might not ever be a true top 4 D on the Avs with all their defenseman, but he could get to that level of play. Especially if he's moved to another team somewhere down the line.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
he'll get there just needs more time its great that he's getting NHL games under his belt especially some playoff games, this off season will be huge for him. Once he gets more experience, stronger and works on his skating it should definitely help him with attackers down low. Our right side could be pretty good with Makar Timmins, Barron, and Helleson I'm still weary of him though. would be really nice to have two top 4ish types selected in the 2nd round hopefully this is a sign they can draft outside the first...

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
He still play very nervous game and like to roam way too much considering his lack of skating abillity. Also he doesnt look natural when try to be physical, probably still some PTSD left from concussion. Other than that, he is skilled, fantastic passer and pretty good shot.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If he could improve his skating just a tad more that would make a huge difference for him. It would give him just that extra time he needs to relax a bit more when making a play. You can see the IQ is there though. He can make really nice plays when he has a bit of time and even under pressure.

Reactions: LTC Pain

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
If he could improve his skating just a tad more that would make a huge difference for him. It would give him just that extra time he needs to relax a bit more when making a play. You can see the IQ is there though. He can make really nice plays when he has a bit of time and even under pressure.
Agree 100%

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

That will come in the off season. I like what the coaching staff has done with players like Timmins, Jost and Nuke.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I’ve loved his game lately. He’s not been perfect, but he’s doing all the things that made him such a good prospect. Activating in the rush, making the smart outlet pass, and using his stick well defensively. His skating is obviously limiting him in a few areas, especially defending the cycle in his own end, but he’ll adjust to the speed eventually.

He absolutely projects as a top-4 D in my eyes. He can slot in as a top-4 guy in the event of injury, and most importantly he’s a RHD which they need. He might never become that top-4 anchor in Colorado, but he’s a fine EJ replacement moving forward as the 5D.

Reactions: flyfysher

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

At least Compher is playing and is reliable. He may not be worth his contract but he still produces and plays a role.

EJ's contract is an albatross. Take that 4 mil savings and put it towards paying out guys their raises.

The best case scenario is if EJ retires.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
At least Compher is playing and is reliable. He may not be worth his contract but he still produces and plays a role.

EJ's contract is an albatross. Take that 4 mil savings and put it towards paying out guys their raises.

The best case scenario is if EJ retires.

Thats several days old. Interesting how you dig this up after Comphers best game. It makes it seem like you're dedicated and loyal to him.

EJ is supposed to be available in the playoffs. Let's see how that goes first. You might be singing a different tune. Same goes for me. Whoever can help win playoff games is where my preference lies.

But saying Compher suits up and does nothing for 98% of his games isn't much of an argument. Suiting up and doing nothing isn't really much more than what EJ has done.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Thats several days old. Interesting how you dig this up after Comphers best game. It makes it seem like you're dedicated and loyal to him.

EJ is supposed to be available in the playoffs. Let's see how that goes first. You might be singing a different tune. Same goes for me. Whoever can help win playoff games is where my preference lies.

But saying Compher suits up and does nothing for 98% of his games isn't much of an argument. Suiting up and doing nothing isn't really much more than what EJ has done.

Was this said?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Timmins becoming a regular NHLer would mean the Avs have drafted one useful NHL player outside of the top 10 since ROR.

That's sad.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Timmins becoming a regular NHLer would mean the Avs have drafted one useful NHL player outside of the top 10 since ROR.

That's sad.

Let's wait and see what happens with Newhook, Ranta, Barron, and Kaut.

Also as others have pointed out, they got Barrie too. That counts for something.

Reactions: flyfysher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad