Do you approve of Rene Bourque?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Where does this Bourque is physical myth come from?

He's 14th on the team in hits, in 11 games he's laid 7 hits

I'd rather have AK46 (and yes I just threw up a little in my mouth saying that) but he was more productive and physical and we ran him out of town for being inconsistent

I still don't know why everyone brags about the trade, Cammy has outscored Bourque 2:1 and will probably fetch a 1st when they deal him at the deadline, yeah we got Fucale & Holland that MIGHT turn into something but so far Flames win that deal hands down IMO

If Bourque didn't contribute size why would Therrien put him on Desharnais' wing?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought the Bourque-Pleks-Gionta was a good line. Be an outstanding #3 line or a good #2 in some games. They should leave it be.

Bourque isn't the team's problem. Just a solid third line winger.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Where does this Bourque is physical myth come from?

He's 14th on the team in hits, in 11 games he's laid 7 hits

I'd rather have AK46 (and yes I just threw up a little in my mouth saying that) but he was more productive and physical and we ran him out of town for being inconsistent

I still don't know why everyone brags about the trade, Cammy has outscored Bourque 2:1 and will probably fetch a 1st when they deal him at the deadline, yeah we got Fucale & Holland that MIGHT turn into something but so far Flames win that deal hands down IMO

Fucale really good young goalie, Holland is NHLer too. Bourque been pretty steady here. Cammy was a big caphit with an attitude and was prone to bone head plays on the ice. Look at his +/- and Calgary's play since the trade? We didn't give up nothing for Cammy, got 1 good season out of him then added 3 pieces to team by trading him.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If Bourque didn't contribute size why would Therrien put him on Desharnais' wing?

Tough to guess as to what's goin on in MT's head cause DD should be in the press box but maybe it's more that Bournival has passed Bourque on the depth chart than coddling DD with a bigger guy

I think him and DD are the odd men out when everyone is healthy

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Rene Bourque was one of our best (top 3) forwards during the '13 playoffs....and that says a lot. He showed lots and lots of heart/grit/effort vs Ottawa.

I'm huge on playoff performers 'cause that's what it's all about (in the end). I would show more respect to Markov if he were a playoff performer (I like him in the regular season...when/if he's healthy).
You could be good in the regular season (ex: Markov) IF/WHEN you're healthy, but...in the end it's all about the playoffs.

Go Bourque Go!!

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
This thread is intended to be both a poll (we will measure Bourque's popularity on this board by having as many people vote yes, no, or unsure) and a discussion, on Bourque's current performance given his promise, his contract, the resources needed to acquire him, the ice-time opportunities awarded to him, etc.

Yes. Bourque is a pro, rarely gets hurt, and most importantly, he knows how to score a goal now and then.

Unlike ****ing DD. Cannot STAND top six players who cannot score if there is no pass option. Drives me nuts.

The fact that we also got Fucale and Holland out of the deal is very important.

Off topic but needs to be said: Bergy is living off of PG moves. He had better start making some good ones of his own. Because DD and Briere are a ****ing disaster.

This is your summer Bergy. Let's see what you do.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'd like to see Bournival-Plekanec-Bourque. Even though he's a left shot I like Bourque better at RW.

Interesting. That could be massive. Too bad having DD means we can't do that. :shakehead

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I am defending the few players who are actually worthwhile on the team. You take a look at stats and **** on everyone who isn't a superstar. Educate yourself and watch more hockey.

If you can't accept that a player who drives the net, works the boards and lays the body is important than there isn't much to say. He is being stuck with a useless tit like DD because of him being one of the few who actually grinds out plays.

Shame Cole is gone but that is what you get when your GM replaces hard working players with a bunch of ninnies that watch the play develop instead of making it happen.

This is one of the most true things I've ever read on these boards. Good hockey players force the play, invent the play. They act. They don't react. Very good post.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This is one of the most true things I've ever read on these boards. Good hockey players force the play, invent the play. They act. They don't react. Very good post.

Not just hockey players, but everything in life.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

while true in general, it's wrong when refering to Cole, that Cole is gone, he stopped being that player two years ago.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I said no 'cause he do show signs of this inconsistent Bourque we love and adore. Yet....he's far from being our most important problem.

Agreed. He isn't our biggest problem but the guys he plays with and ice time he gets he should be producing a little more

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Agreed. He isn't our biggest problem but the guys he plays with and ice time he gets he should be producing a little more

True. 4 points out of 11 games....that's pretty bad. But we have other problems to deal with.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I am defending the few players who are actually worthwhile on the team.
You are trying to defend Gauthier not Bourque. That's what this is about. Why? Don't know.
You take a look at stats and **** on everyone who isn't a superstar. Educate yourself and watch more hockey.
It's not the stats that bother me at all. It's the lack of effort.
If you can't accept that a player who drives the net, works the boards and lays the body is important than there isn't much to say.
You are describing Gallagher... not Bourque.
He is being stuck with a useless tit like DD because of him being one of the few who actually grinds out plays.

Shame Cole is gone but that is what you get when your GM replaces hard working players with a bunch of ninnies that watch the play develop instead of making it happen.
Bourque is kinda useless himself. He doesn't create anything dude. Sometimes he can finish what Plecs creates but usually he misses the net altogether. He's got no hockey sense and doesn't use his skills enough.

He's not particularly physical or creative. Like I said - he's just sort of there... I'm not angry with him but I also couldn't care less if he went away. Only thing he brings is size and he doesn't really use it. So like I said... not bad. But also not good. I'm happy if he can chip in the odd goal here and there. He's not a disaster and we have other problems to worry about. But he's disposable filler and in a few years from now when he's gone, I'll have forgotten that he was on the roster at all. Sometimes I forget he's on the roster even now.
True. 4 points out of 11 games....that's pretty bad. But we have other problems to deal with.
Bourque is the least of our problems right now. Briere and DD have ensured that the rest of our forwards are out of the spotlight for the forseeable future.

Last edited:

feds91

May 17, 2004
meanwhile mike cammalleri has 5 points in just 4 games. i hated his contract, but i would rather have him than briere, gionta, deshairnais, bourque.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How many players have produced in the gravitational suckitude caused by the black hole at centre, Desharnais?

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Three words: You are wrong.

How am I wrong? If you see him play every game he consistently misses on a good 4-5 scoring chances and sometimes puts one in. If he capitalized on those chances he would be one of our best forwards. He lacks the finish that would legitimize him as a top 6 forward IMO

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
How am I wrong? If you see him play every game he consistently misses on a good 4-5 scoring chances and sometimes puts one in. If he capitalized on those chances he would be one of our best forwards. He lacks the finish that would legitimize him as a top 6 forward IMO

you know what shooting percentage is right ?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Poor Rene Bourque. Being put on Desharnais' line means death sentence. In all fairness Bourque was producing with playing with Gionta and Plekanec, even with Eller but MT now has him with Desharnais because Desharnais cannot win battles in the corner so Bourque being 6'2" 210lbs has to do all the work. You will notice this during games when Desharnais just watches Bourque to give him the puck.

I would rather have a death sentence for Bourque on the third line with DD than to have a death sentence for Pleks playing with Bourque on the 1st/2nd line.

When Pleks plays with Bourque on his line, his offensive production drops significantly. That was my biggest complaint during the playoffs last season. Therrien moved Ryder down away from Pleks (the hottest scoring line for us) and replaced him with Bourque (which turned Pleks into a non-factor).

Bourque is a floater who plays when he wants to and watches games when he wants to. Better to have that attitude skating with DD than to screw up Pleks and Gionta.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I like Bourque. Seems to have at least one big chance every game. Good contract too.

The votes speak for themselves. He's a good player.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I thought the Bourque-Pleks-Gionta was a good line. Be an outstanding #3 line or a good #2 in some games. They should leave it be.

Bourque isn't the team's problem. Just a solid third line winger.

Pleks is not a third line center.

There is your problem with Bourque on Pleks' line.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
hes a complimentary forward that can play up and down our lu.. every teams needs these type of players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad