Do you approve of Rene Bourque?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It might seem like it, and I would think the same way, but then what do you make of Jay Feaster's comment that the deal was in the making for 2 months? Why would Feaster try to help Gauthier look "not depressed", specially since everyone says that no other GM's like Gauthier (bunch of speculative stuff again)...

Like I said speculating that he would have gotten more if he wanted, really isn't much of anything for me. For me if you get a first round pick for Cammy at the time, its a late pick 25-30, and probaly for that year, and for sure not a player like Bourque with it.

Now you can not like Bourque, and say he sucks, and that is your reason for not like the trade, but no team is trading you a a late first and a big body player that is coming of back to back 27 goals seasons, and was on pace for a little more than that.
It happened less than 24 hours after his comments. And Bourque was still under suspension. And we traded Cammy in the middle of a game with the Bruins.

That's what I'd make of it.

BTW, I don't mind Bourque at all. He is what he is. That's not what your asking me about though... and Calgary wanted to get rid of this guy, they wanted to dump him. They got a player they wanted and dumped one they didn't and as an added bonus got a player for five extra games becaues Bourque was suspended.

C'mon man, look at the circumstances here. You have to try really hard to believe that this went down for any other reason and that we couldn't have done better.

Last edited:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
It happened less than 24 hours after his comments. And Bourque was still under suspension. And we traded Cammy in the middle of a game with the Bruins.

That's what I'd make of it.

BTW, I don't mind Bourque at all. He is what he is. That's not what your asking me about though...

I could see how Cammy's comment would speed the process of the trade, but based on Feaster comment I believe it just happened out of the blue.

I remember Feaster saying the deal was in the works for 2 months, and when Bourque got suspend, he thought they would wait until the suspension was over but, then they decide to do it then.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
Finished 4th last year and would be top 5-6 if not missing 5-6 guys for most of the last 2 weeks. A lot of teams have guys that don't score 20 on their 2nd line let alone 25(pace).

Other than the 38 games here his 1st year he's been at or near a 25 goal pace every year since 08-09.

08-09 21 in 58 games (29.7)
09-10 27 in 73 games(30.3)
10-11 27 in 80 games(27.67)
11-12 13 in 38 before the trade(28)
12-13 7 in 27 games(21.3)
13-14 4 in 13 games(25.2)

Using pace for seasons of 38, 27 and 13 games is a bit of a joke, especially for a streaky player like Bourque. He has 3 20+ goals season, 2 of them where he scored 27. He is not a "usually" 25 goal scorer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Using pace for seasons of 38, 27 and 13 games is a bit of a joke, especially for a streaky player like Bourque. He has 3 20+ goals season, 2 of them where he scored 27. He is not a "usually" 25 goal scorer.
His pace over the past two years has not been 25 either. The guy's math is wrong.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I could see how Cammy's comment would speed the process of the trade, but based on Feaster comment I believe it just happened out of the blue.

I remember Feaster saying the deal was in the works for 2 months, and when Bourque got suspend, he thought they would wait until the suspension was over but, then they decide to do it then.
So why does it happen while Bourque is suspended? Why does it happen in the middle of a freaking game? Why does it happen less than 24 hours after the comments?

I have no doubt that Calgary was looking for somebody to take Bourque and Feaster was under pressure to make something happen. They probably contacted us earlier and we probalby weren't interested. No doubt though Feaster was under pressure to make the playoffs. We just should've used that pressure to our advantage or at least looked elsewhere. We didn't do that.

Seriously, what's the hurry to get a player who's under suspension?

Last edited:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
So why does it happen while Bourque is suspended? Why does it happen in the middle of a freaking game? Why does it happen less than 24 hours after the comments?

I have no doubt that Calgary was looking for somebody to take Bourque and Feaster was under pressure to make something happen. They probably contacted us earlier and we probalby weren't interested. No doubt though Feaster was under pressure to make the playoffs. We just should've used that pressure to our advantage or at least looked elsewhere. We didn't do that.

Seriously, what's the hurry to get a player who's under suspension?

I believe after the deal was done, he had 1 more game to serve, and we our next games were on back to back nights, you can argue that it was done so he would at least have it was done so he could in the lineup quicker, and have more time to skate with the team.

ALL is speculative, and I don't believe much of it, but just like I don't know for sure that the Flames where looking to get rid of Bourque, specially if they were looking to make a playoff push, would it make sense to keep bourque and just add Cammy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I believe after the deal was done, he had 1 more game to serve, and we our next games were on back to back nights, you can argue that it was done so he would at least have it was done so he could in the lineup quicker, and have more time to skate with the team.

ALL is speculative, and I don't believe much of it, but just like I don't know for sure that the Flames where looking to get rid of Bourque, specially if they were looking to make a playoff push, would it make sense to keep bourque and just add Cammy.
I don't know what else I can say to you here man...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I don't know what else I can say to you here man...

Really nothing, and I really respect your post and opinion, but for me I don't really put to much emphasis on speculative stuff **** because we never really know the truth, and I see how some, like you sometimes connect the dots like you have here, but then there is something that throws everything off base for someone like me with the comments like the ones Jay Feaster makes. Guess we'll agree to disagree on wtv we are discussion :5: lol

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Hes actually starting to become one of my favourite players. He does alot of things well he just isnt putting up a ton of points, but he is not grossly overpaid and at times it seems like he goes invisible because hes trying to play through an injury.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He's doing ok. He was soooo terrible the first year we acquired him, but he has been better since. I just hope there isn't another dead zone coming up at any point. We need his size on the wings, though, so we just have to ride out any of his lengthy slumps, and be glad to have him when he's contributing. So far so good. I gave him a positive approval vote.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Why bring it up?

1) Bourque is more valuable to the Habs than Cammalleri, who would fit in the same category as Desharnais and Briere if he were still with the team.
2) The trade brought in a second round pick (which in itself was worth more than Cammalleri) as well as Holland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad