Do we have the worst 4th line in the league?

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Orr and McClaren would probably take on all 5 guys that were on the ice during the scuffle tonite.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I was so wrong. When we're playing rivals. I want that 4th line all day every day.

Loved it. Felt so great, it almost felt like I was the one playing.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Tonight was the proper fourth line. McClement in the middle and two tough guys on either side. Orr should always be there and Brown and McClaren can alternate. I think this thread was started (and understandably so) during the time period where Steckel was centering the line and it sucked. McClement is a really great player, very dangerous and super responsible defensively; great center piece to a fourth line. Orr does truly suck as a hockey player so you will live and die by his presence and slowness/poor hockey skill.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
ORR is not slow at all....

and he is responsible in his own end..
The fourth line has been scored on a couple times this year and I thought Orr didn't look good on those plays but maybe it was the other guys. He does seem slow though. I could be mistaken there, are there time trial stats from training camp available? I think he's great but he's gonna get outworked pretty badly (moreso than McClement) by higher skill players if the lines match up wrong. Great game tonight and I think it would be good to see him in the lineup every night.

G51 K81*

Love our 4th line. They are defensively responsible as well. Also good at wearing down the oppositions defense.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I prefer them to Crabb and Mike Brown. It's not like either were generating any chances either. As long as they are defensively responsible, provide energy, and a physical presence when we need it. That's all you need. We already have 3 psuedo-scoring lines, so we need a line like that.

When we had Mike Brown and Crabb, it was just another filler line that didn't hit or scored. At least this one makes us a tougher team, which I'd argue is a necessity if we want to win in this league.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
Orr's hustle to the net leading to Holzer's goal was terrific.

The fights were a lot of fun, but the Habs are a small team who were only willing to drop the gloves tonight out of outrage and desperation. I want to see what the Orr/McClement/McLaren line can do for us when when our backs are up against a wall.

Still, huge improvement over the last stretch of games. Granted, the whole team looked brilliant tonight.

jakapono24

Oct 20, 2011
Toronto, ON
I am looking forward to when we get Lupul back and Komarov moves the 4th line. I know that people love Mclaren and Orr after tonight, but having just one of them is good enough. When this scenario (all thing being equal) occurs we might have one of the strongest (top 5 or 6) forward lineups in the nhl. A 4th line of Komarov - McClement - Orr is very gritty, surprisingly quick, and defensively responsible. I like the depth of this team, and the potential to - for the first time since the "old" lockout - run a legitimate 12 man forward lineup out there!

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Feed me crow. If it's for the good of the team, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong!

McClement needs to stay on that line though. Defensively, he's one of the best and he does a good job keeping that line stable.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
This line should be epic with the Flyers rolling into town. I've always loved Flyers-Leafs games when the Leafs have a team that isn't going to be pushed around.

ninetynine*

That line is great, has been since McClement moved in between the gladiators.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The height and weight of our first three lines seems to have increased with this current fourth line.

In the pregame interview with McClement, it was noted that Carlyle had said he wished the rest of the club had McClement's work ethic. He's a perfect player to wear that A on this team. And maybe, just maybe, the club's play for each other, newly talkative (When's the last time you've seen a Toronto team communicate like that?) cooperative team identity is in no small part to Carlyle certainly, but to McClement's example as well.

I think I have to go back to 2001 to remember feeling this good about a win.

Roll that fourth line on and on...

lampshade*

From day 1 Colton hasn't had to prove anything to his teammates. He's respected and liked by the team and hc. Fortunetly for him a lot of you gm's on here are now eating crow. He's been the best enforcer (not necessarily fighter) since brasheer. The sheriff plays hard, honest hockey and had his teammates backs. O yea he's got a decent right hand.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I can see the team doesn't mind putting in a couple of extra shifts to cover the fourth lines limited playing time.But,I think instead of 5 mins a game they should be playing 8 mins just to keep the opponents honest.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
my theory
colton orr is not enough
most teams need just one enforcer
we need 2 or 3 because we still have a lot of smaller and or soft players

kessel
kadri
mccarthur
bozak
liles
gardiner
grabovsky-kulemin need protection too

Last edited:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
when your 4th line is playing 5min a night who cares if its 2 goons? i also think mcclement is huge on that line but i think when were up in tight games he should take shifts on the wing too to get extra mins because he needs to play more but that 4th line is awesome. I remember when we had a 4th line of brown-mayers-orr and we played philly and they were so scared of getting hit every time we dumped the puck in it was great. 4th lines like this are great, especially if they like playing in games like yesterday and know there not going to play in tight games.... with 3 potential scoring lines 5min is all they need to play.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
when your 4th line is playing 5min a night who cares if its 2 goons? i also think mcclement is huge on that line but i think when were up in tight games he should take shifts on the wing too to get extra mins because he needs to play more but that 4th line is awesome. I remember when we had a 4th line of brown-mayers-orr and we played philly and they were so scared of getting hit every time we dumped the puck in it was great. 4th lines like this are great, especially if they like playing in games like yesterday and know there not going to play in tight games.... with 3 potential scoring lines 5min is all they need to play.

McCelement takes up tons of minutes on the PK and often goes against top lines in a line with grabo and kulie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00