Do we have the worst 4th line in the league?

Irish Leaf

Jul 11, 2012
Kildare
I think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Now in saying that i would much rather let Hamilton and Steckel there instead of 2 goons that cant do anything to contribute,staged fights never change a game.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
They might have been the worst but now that mcclement is back on the line they are way better. He's quite the player; probably is weirded out by the losing attitude around the team. Once brown is back that line will be great.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
The fourth line still has only 1 GA(saturday).If they only play 5 mins a game instead of most fourth lines at 8 mins each line plays 1 extra shift a game.If that extra shift is running the players down I think the team may need a new conditioning coach.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Of all the things wrong with this team, the 4th line is what gets some criticism here?

Come on - wake the hell up.

The fourth line is far and away the least of the problems this team has right now.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Check out the stats.
Phaneuf - 10 esga
Kostka- 9esga
Grabo's line - 9 esga
Kessels line- 6esga

It looks to me that the top players are the ones not doing their jobs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As of right now, we may have the worst team, let alone 4th line

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
4th lines don't win games but they shouldn't be a liability. Why are people having a hard time understanding this?

Something about the forest and the trees my son. And you're missing a very ugly scene in front of you!

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We have one of the best fourth lines. Their job isn't to score goals, it's to be physical and i don't think theres a more physical duo in the league than orr/brown.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Honestly don't get Browns appeal on these boards. I think he's an overrated scrub too. Our entire 4th line blows.

But then again the entire team sucks so what can you do. Organization depth is a problem for sure. Especially now with the injuries we got and sending Connolly down to the AHL.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Our biggest problems:

Phaneuf...can't play defense right now. Very inconsistent. 5 mins of PP time has 1 point...probably not even on the PP. Terrible positioning on the PK.

Kostka, terrible on the PP. For 600,000 though...the defense he's providing is great.

Franson/Liles, cant defend AT ALL. They get outplayed in our zone every game.

Fraser/Holzer ---> AHL.

4th line goons. It's good for games against the Bruins...but this is Carolina. We need gritty fourth line players, like the guys we thought we didn't need, TIM BRENT, JOEY CRABB, that guy with the broken nose because of the photography hole...can't remember his name :laugh:

3rd line is perfect.

2nd line...inconsistent.

1st line inconsistent.

That is a LOT of problems. Which is why, I am sure Nonis will blow this team to bits and start all over again.

Darryl Boyce?

Ya I'd rather have any of those 3 guys over Orr or Brown any day. Goons are overrated. Those 3 guys are gutsy, they can check, PK and can pot a goal here and there. Why we ever got rid of Brent is beyond me. He was awesome in last nights game.

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
I condemn this thead.

Colton Orr is your friend.

He would defend your home from nazi invasion...

...with nothing but a pitchfork

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
With a healthy line-up both of these seem like 4th lines I'd be comfortable with.

Brown - McClement - Komarov

or

McClement - Steckel - Komarov

I think McClement and Komarov make a good base for the 4th line. For the time being I'd rather watch a guy like Colton Orr or Frazer Mclaren in limited ice-time beat someone up than see Ryan Hamilton called up.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
With a healthy line-up both of these seem like 4th lines I'd be comfortable with.

or

McClement - Steckel - Komarov

I think McClement and Komarov make a good base for the 4th line. For the time being I'd rather watch a guy like Colton Orr or Frazer Mclaren in limited ice-time beat someone up than see Ryan Hamilton called up.

short season .......if u get 6 -8 points out of the playoff your toast ....not many easy games coming up ...arguing about 4th lines seems moot .....plauing AHL defeneceman on powerplays and with your no 1 pairing shows the depth burke left us .......the big trade better happen soon

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Or, do we have the worst 4 lines in the NHL? Maybe yes.

Do we have the worst D in the NHL? Yes for sure.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Or, do we have the worst 4 lines in the NHL? Maybe yes.

Do we have the worst D in the NHL? Yes for sure.

How about the worst 1st line in the NHL? Kessel can't get going, Bozak sucks and JvR is stuck on that line because Kessel is a puck hog right now looking for his first goal..

We need to take JvR out of that line so he can create some offense with Kadri.

Put Komarov with Kessel and Bozak, JvR with Kadri and Frattin.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
It's a problem. They get hemmed in their zone every game and are causing the loss of momentum while giving up serious scoring chances to the other team and even resulting in a few GAs. Can't have that happening especially when they only play a few minutes a game.

This. It absolutely is a glaring problem. We might not have gone down 1-0 to the B's had any other line been on the ice at that time.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
To answer the OP, yes. I'm looking at other team's fourth lines and I can't find a single team that has a worse fourth line than us.

MAYBE Buffalo

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Herb Derp, who else do we have in the system READY to play at the NHL level and can play the nasty on the forth line?? Players like that don't come by so often, so you know its like kind of hard to get them. Oh really now?? Most good teams roll 4 lines constantly? I suggest you check the stats for the forth line of the Devils, Rangers, Flyers and so on. It's roughly around ours, next time check your stats before making things up on the fly dude. Also Herb Derp, the Bruins comment was to the other guy who compared our forth line to the Bruins. Give them time, when Brown comes back will get some speed on that line again. Forth line is the least of our worries.

Reading comprehension is not this board's forte. It's not hard to acquire decent 4th liners. Nobody is putting a gun to Carlyle's head forcing him to dress two goons either. And when I said roll 4 lines constantly, I mean in the sense that each line still gets used respective to it's role. And comparing 4th lines with stats after 8-10 games is stupid. Unless you have the patience to delve into the advanced stats. Watch the games and you see the difference, so I'm not "making stuff up on the fly", dude. Even when Brown gets back, what's the timeline with him getting injured again? He misses at least 20-30 games a year.

So why are we crying about having a apparent terrible fourth line when general consensus is our first line is the worst in the league. I see who created the thread makes sense, your persistant loafofbread I'll give you that.

Can't stop LOLing at this post :laugh: I don't even have a reputation around here so I find it odd and amusing that you would even say that :laugh: And people have been whining about the first line since day one, it's been beaten to death. Anyway after reading your post and checking that it was by you I didn't feel even close to insulted. If anything it's flattering.

And to people who keep whining to me to "open my eyes" and see that our first line is bad, I'm well aware. I'm not going to repeat something that is said every second on this board.

ForSpareParts*

The 4th line is slightly better with Brown. They looked pretty sluggish last night though.

Hamilton is a better idea than having Orr and McLaren.

It would be nice to see some Marlies playing there:

Zigomanis
D'amigo
Deschamps
Acton
Scott

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
4th line will be fine after players recover.... As it stands

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Kadri - MacArthur

Its not Carlyles fault that everyones down, he needed someone to fill the void until the players start returning. No need to panic.

MapleLeafGardens*

The fourth line is not efficient, and there's no reason to play two goons in a game against Carolina of all teams...

Scroll to the Orr & Brown thread there you will read dozens of posts from our fellow knuckle dragging Leafs fans telling everyone why we need a bunch of goons on the 4th line yo fools!

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Seriously, I don't understand why it's like this. Now, the fourth line isn't crucial, but they still play an important role to bring energy and chippy play when needed.

Obviously with injuries, things are a little bit screwed up right now, but I don't see why the hell we need McLaren AND Orr out together. What will two goons accomplish, seriously?

In comparison, the Habs and Bruins both have good, dependable 4th lines (though 2.5 for Prust is a joke).

Why can't we just roll something like Brown-McClement-Hamilton? Dress Orr for games where we need a goon on the ice. Since Brown is injured right now, pick up a cheap 4th line option who's better than McLaren, or hell even call someone up that can bring more than he can.

The 4th line doesn't have to be amazing, but they can't be a liability either, and that's what they have been this year.

I wish we had kept Darryl Boyce. He was a perfect fourth liner.

Care to rethink this in light of tonight's game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad