Speculation: Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well

To follow in my great mentor( Cloned) foot steps Do we add a 3C in the off season ?

• Total voters

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If the Oilers could sign a scoring winger I think that is a better place to spend the money. Someone like Tatar who can play both sides gives you a lot of flexibility.

Draisaitl McDavid Puljujarvi
Holloway Nuge Tatar
Benson McLeod Yamamoto
Archibald Khaira Kassian

or

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Nuge Draisaitl Yamamoto
Holloway McLeod Archibald
Arcibald Hass Kassian

or

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Holloway Draisaitl Yamamoto
McLeod Nuge Archibald
Benson Kahira Kassian
Bob Stauffers burner account confirmed. Lol.
Hard pass on Tatar. He’s got 6 goals in 35 career playoff games. He’s small and getting old. He’s talented, and is the kind of guy that might help a team get to the playoffs. I’d like a bigger winger who can help win tougher games.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bob Stauffers burner account confirmed. Lol.
Hard pass on Tatar. He’s got 6 goals in 35 career playoff games. He’s small and getting old. He’s talented, and is the kind of guy that might help a team get to the playoffs. I’d like a bigger winger who can help win tougher games.
Yeah a hell no on Tatar please. Saad is an ideal target with the avs probably unable to re-sign him due to how many contracts they have coming up this season and next. But he’s going to cost around 5M with term id imagine.

Outside of that the Oilers need to just hold for like a month. Here’s the players got on bargain deals last offseason

AA
Haula
Hoffman
Duclair
Granlund

All those players combined barely went for under 10M on 1 year deals.

Outside of getting another Barrie type deal, if the Oilers hold passed day 3-4 with their cap space they could practically sign an entire new bottom 6 for cheap.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What every team strives for is a young player to take a role like 3C. Not only are they cost controlled, but very often they are the best. If we are signing a guy, we are likely signing their reputation from when they were younger.

Just leave that spot as McLeod's just for the chance that he turns into that great young player. Keep the other centers we have around such as Khaira and Haas, to take the 4C, play the wing, and to fill in at 3C if McLeod struggles.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
His offense isn't strong enough in the NHL to warrant 3C. He's a 4C... and this is coming from a guy who has watched 25+ games of his games in the AHL this season.

I love him as a player and he will put up points but we are in the midst of prime McDrai years.

I'd still sign a vet 3C for $4M/yr x 3 years. Like a Lowry or Backlund type.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
His offense isn't strong enough in the NHL to warrant 3C. He's a 4C... and this is coming from a guy who has watched 25+ games of his games in the AHL this season.

I love him as a player and he will put up points but we are in the midst of prime McDrai years.

$4M can be better used elsewhere IMO. McLeod has had super low PDO while all of his other stats are looking amazing (and the eye test agrees).

McLeod is likely going to be a 25-35 pt guy, great at face offs, speedy, heady, and good defensively. That’s good enough for 3C on a top heavy team.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You came to that conclusion after a handful of games?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What every team strives for is a young player to take a role like 3C. Not only are they cost controlled, but very often they are the best. If we are signing a guy, we are likely signing their reputation from when they were younger.

Just leave that spot as McLeod's just for the chance that he turns into that great young player. Keep the other centers we have around such as Khaira and Haas, to take the 4C, play the wing, and to fill in at 3C if McLeod struggles.

Yeah agreed on Khaira and Haas. A lot of people is complaining on Haas ’oh noooes no offence”. But if he does not get scored on, prevent goals from happening, there you have your righthanded C. boom?

Now go out Holland and find some forecheckers for possesion strong winges for young McLeod.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
He hasn’t shown me that he’s a significantly better player than khaira or Haas at this point.

Without breaking the bank, I feel like the 3c position should still be improved upon.

Don’t get me wrong, McLeod is doing well and I think the future is bright, but he’s still very green.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Don't think he should be penciled in as 3C next year. Realistically, our entire bottom 6 needs an overhaul. I'm hoping Holland isn't going to keep Shore and Kharia as every night guys. Kahun-McLeod-Archibald would be a great 4th line IMO. Also need to keep in mind: Tipp seems to favour grit types in the bottom 6, which isn't ideal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gotta keep in mind his linemates are offensive blackholes (and not good defensively) and hes still posting solid underlying numbers.

Given we have little cap space because of some poor Chia/Holland contracts, you have to make some gambles on young players filling spots next year. Hed be a guy I am ok gambling to be our 3c. The money should be used elsewhere, namely on better 3rd line wingers

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I think he will be our 3C of the future. He's good defensively, the question is when the offense will come. He's jumped in near the end of the season when teams are jockeying for position. A summer of training knowing what the NHL is, going through training camp, and starting the season with the team will do him good imo.

If we're playing it safe, sign a stop-gap 3C or a quality middle-6 winger.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was looking at some of our numbers this year, and I think our depth is actually a bit better than people expect.

I think the "gold standard" for depth would be a dozen players who can hit double-digits in goals over 82 games. Most teams that contend for the cup, or are lauded for their depth have that.

I think we're actually hovering around a dozen if everyone is healthy.

Even Devin Shore and Archie are pacing for over 10. Neal would've hit that. Kassian is having a rare career down-year a lot of us attribute to lack of fans.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Poor kid seems to get rocked game after game. I guess it's good that he's willing to pay the price , but I worry a bit about his health and wonder if he shouldn't add a little more mass and start returning the favor a bit?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Poor kid seems to get rocked game after game. I guess it's good that he's willing to pay the price , but I worry a bit about his health and wonder if he shouldn't add a little more mass and start returning the favor a bit?
Yeah I think he isn’t physical enough. With his speed and size he should really be grinding it out deep in the o-zone but seems to favor a light check and using his stick instead. The bottom 6 fwds on other teams have the physicality advantage - hope he can work on that because his matchup with Lowry will be a very important part of the series.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
So was McLeod physical in the AHL? Is he just a bit timid at this level atm? I never watch the Condors.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So was McLeod physical in the AHL? Is he just a bit timid at this level atm? I never watch the Condors.

Completely allergic to physical contact last season. Far more engaged this season. I’ve said to others he’s not gritty but isn’t shy of getting hit. He’s like a softer Nuge in that he doesn’t have the same man strength yet. The leap from last season to this season makes me think he can be more physical though.

Reactions: CravenMH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad