Speculation: Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well

To follow in my great mentor( Cloned) foot steps Do we add a 3C in the off season ?

• Total voters

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pretty simple . Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well or do they still go after say Haula ?
I think they are better using the cap space else where . Maybe even a good 3rd line RW if Kassian doesn't wake up .

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like to see him tried at wing in the top 6 first . He is a smart player and may be able to read McDavid . We also Have Holloway who is a C/winger
That's fair, I think he's so good at the center responsibility already, I would rather see him there and Holloway getting a longer look on the wing, either way what a delightful problem to have. All this drafted talent needing places to play.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
I like to see him tried at wing in the top 6 first . He is a smart player and may be able to read McDavid . We also Have Holloway who is a C/winger

I’d be looking at something like this for next year.

ufa-McDavid-Pulju
RNH-Drai-Yam
Holloway/McLeod-McLeod/Holloway-kassian
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal/Chiasson

nurse-barrie(dream is Hamilton)
Trade/Klefbom-Larson
Lagesson-Bouchard
Krussel/whoever

xxx
Smith

Trade chips:
Picks
Bear
Benson
Marody

I don’t know if we’ll have to buy koskinen out or attach a sweetener to get him out of here if he’ll waive the NMC, but I think this is the year to look for that long term goalie. Can have smith try to teach the new guy some of his pick movement skills which I think are critical for this team.

Another option I haven’t looked at from a salary cap POV:
edm:
2021 first
2023 first
2022 second
Benson

ana:
Rakell
Gibson

i also like the debrusk for bear possibility

Debrusk-McDavid-Pulju
RNH-Drai-Rakell
Holloway/McLeod-McLeod/Holloway-yam
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal/Chiasson

nurse-barrie
Kulikov-Larson
Lagesson-Bouchard
Krussel/whoever

gibson
Smith

lose Jones in expansion here and trade kassian to nyr

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
With Holloway on the horizon at LW and Benson as insurance, I think we can safely leave McLoed penciled in at 3C for next year. I personally don’t care for Marody, but he’s having a hell of a season to boot. Things may look distinctly different if Nuge decides $6.5 for 5 is the line in the sand, in which case I would walk him.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Would really like for him to put up some points but he's creating some chances and looks very good defensively out there. I'd be fine if we entered the season with him as 3C but Nuge would need to be back for sure or we would need someone else who could fill in for 2C.

Reactions: McSuper

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’d rather have McLeod earn it during TC. I doubt Haas is back so we’ll have an open spot. I wouldn’t mind signing a veteran UFA to a 1 year deal that could fill that spot.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
McLeod has played 6 games and is 0’s across the board.

I haven’t seen enough to pencil him in full time yet. He seems smart out there. Good skater. But certainly not a lock for that 3C spot or any spot for that matter.

He also doesn't have the best line mates . Our bottom 6 has been a blackhole ( also Dotti works ) for years .

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think he's shown enough to be penciled in as 3c. Great that he can skate and it looks like he'll be an NHLer, but pump the breaks until he shows some offence.

I think he makes Haas redundant though. He's as good as Haas with way more room to develop.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Pretty simple . Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well or do they still go after say Haula ?
I think they are better using the cap space else where . Maybe even a good 3rd line RW if Kassian doesn't wake up .
It's too early to say? McLeod has played 3-4 games that's it...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He also doesn't have the best line mates . Our bottom 6 has been a blackhole ( also Dotti works ) for years .
And through 6 games he’s yet to contribute to changing that fact.

He doesn’t look like a threat out there right now. Which is fine. And I’m not saying he can’t be the 3C next year. But there should be competition for the spot.

Reactions: Cypress

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It's too early to say? McLeod has played 3-4 games that's it...

I rather start young C at wing . A little more sheltering .
Maybe he works at wing with McDavid . Same with Holloway .

Holloway McDavid Puljujarvi
McLeod Draisaitl Yamamoto

This is if RNH walks . Have to bring in a solid #3C . Not a hope to rebound player

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
McLeod has played 6 games and is 0’s across the board.

I haven’t seen enough to pencil him in full time yet. He seems smart out there. Good skater. But certainly not a lock for that 3C spot or any spot for that matter.
He's zeros across the board but has looked good and dangerous the entire time. Remember that at draft time, he was pegged as a probable third line centre. He wasn't really expected to be top six. HE has all of the tools to be a good NHL player, but his offense just might not be there. Which is fine if he brings what he has brought so far. I'm not worried about him needing some time to figure out how to finish.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They definitely need a right handed centre whether of the really good 4th liner variety or still 3rd liner. Optimally, you pair a good one with McLeod and they can split faceoff duties and allow us to have one for PKs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I rather start young C at wing . A little more sheltering .
Maybe he works at wing with McDavid . Same with Holloway .

Holloway McDavid Puljujarvi
McLeod Draisaitl Yamamoto

This is if RNH walks . Have to bring in a solid #3C . Not a hope to rebound player
In that scenario we have plenty of money for a 3C because we have two ELC's in our top six. I'd prefer to plan more conservatively

FA or Trade (Rakell?) - McDavid - Pulujarvi
Holloway/FA - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Holloway/Benson/Kahun - McLeod - Archibald
Benson/Kahun/new big body - Khaira - Kassian

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I say no, hes it. Anyway, we shouldnt be spending money there. Let Khaira have the job until hes ready.
This. I'm fine heading into next season with McDavid, Draisaitl, McLeod, Khaira, and hopefully Nugent-Hopkins (on a reasonable deal) as our centres. And possibly Haas, but he's likely press box fodder to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a firm believe you can have more than 4c's in your lineup. Gives you flexibility if guys are having down games or injuries hit you.

It's like top 4 d-men, you never hear of a team saying they have too many good options for center. Sure some guys might be better centers than they are wingers, but I hate to be in the position where you don't have a viable option at center.

Still think they'll look for a right hand shot that can play that 3C role with PK duties, regardless of how McLeod finishes the year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This. I'm fine heading into next season with McDavid, Draisaitl, McLeod, Khaira, and hopefully Nugent-Hopkins (on a reasonable deal) as our centres. And possibly Haas, but he's likely press box fodder to me.

Unfortunately those are all left handed shots. We need at least one right handed centreman that we can trust.

Haas while an okay utility player is ultimately filling the role where the best he's going to be in any given game is a non-factor. Fortunately he does that often, but we need someone that can sometimes help win the game as well and win the lions share of faceoffs from the right side. He's not hurting us, but he isn't really helping much either.

Reactions: joestevens29

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'd bring back the trio of Kharia-McLeod-Haas as my 3-4-5 centers. With Holloway around too it's better to try and develop that player internally. A right handed shot who's an upgrade on Haas and can play 3C would be great but I'm not sure that's a player easily or cheaply added. I think the Oilers would be wise to rely on cheaper vets while the young kids take over. If they can get a star player go for it but with the young talent on the team and coming I think it's likely better longterm for these players to get the opportunity to grow into the jobs. McLeod should be penciled in as 4C, he certainly hasn't outplayed Kharia, and if he can do more he'll prove it.

Reactions: majormajor

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unfortunately those are all left handed shots. We need at least one right handed centreman that we can trust.

Haas while an okay utility player is ultimately filling the role where the best he's going to be in any given game is a non-factor. Fortunately he does that often, but we need someone that can sometimes help win the game as well and win the lions share of faceoffs from the right side. He's not hurting us, but he isn't really helping much either.
This really is going to be the key going forward for this team. Holland's goal was first to get this team to be any every year playoff team. Seems like we are there, but to be more competitive in the playoffs we are going to have to have more and more guys that are helping us not just breaking even. Granted a 3c could be one of those positions you just try get at the deadline, but I still think you have to slowly start upgrading on positions.

The real tell is going to be where our weaknesses show in the playoffs. If center is fine then maybe they don't focus on it as much.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Too soon to tell right now, but it's conceivable he could get there before this year is out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad