C Ivan Ryabkin - MHK Dynamo Moscow, MHL (2025 Draft)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Sorry, but a lot of failed or VHL at least

Top MHL scorer 9 years ago for example :

I have the right to think that American hockey is of a much higher level ?

1 guy. Great.
Just like this dude....2014 USHL leading scorer, low level ECHL talent, out of hockey 4 years now.
Jake Randolph at eliteprospects.com

Contradicting yourself even more..

Sweden - 10.1 % of NHL players representing 9.3 % of NHL games played.

What does that say?

Sweden is disproportionately sending players to the NHL that are fighting out marginal roles (12th/13th forward, sent down and called back up from the AHL). This makes sense as there is a transfer agreement between SHL and NHL, and the money as a 13th forward/7th defensemen or even a 2-way AHL player is often favorable to what they could get in the SHL. So Swedes are more likely to be "in the system" and will grind it out, for years beyond their ELC and waiver-exempt years and stick around even without certain NHL prospects. From there, being "around" gives opportunity and gives some players a chance to break out into bigger roles in their prime years, etc.

For Russia, no transfer agreement between NHL and KHL, so they are not even in the same ecosystem. A player without an assured role is more likely to head back over to the KHL where they can make more money than a 13th forward or 2-way contract. A KHL contract is going to be competitive with bottom NHL spots and more favorable to AHL money, and then the cultural differences (Swedes speak very good english, Russians seldom do) make it pretty obvious for a Russian to go back to the KHL. From there, they hit their prime in Russia, the NHL team holds their rights indefinitely but is likely moved on to developing a new wave of prospects rather than trying to chase a KHL player (that they haven't seen for some time) back into the NHL to marginally improve their roster.

It's not particularly complicated. Russia and Sweden had pretty similar results at the U20 level (both on the podium a lot but snake bitten as far as Gold Medals go in recent years). The high-end theoretical rosters are pretty comparable. There is not some huge gap between Swedish Hockey and Russian Hockey, there are just other factors at play to explain why there would be more Swedes in the NHL.

This all inadvertently proves the "Russian factor" is real, which corresponds to lower number of drafted players in the MHL.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Certainly. And 4 major Swedish players injured (no Russians). The gap remains there.

Players with 30 points: Sweden 14, Russia 8

In any rematch, Sweden is ahead... the level of the centers makes the difference prohibitive.

No debate.

1 Canada
2 USA
3 Sweden
4 Russia
5 Finland
6 Czechia
There were injured Russians too, but ok. But it still doesn't address my arguments, particularly the demographic one - I mean, just count the same way the number of players born 1995 and later.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Sweden - 10.1 % of NHL players representing 9.3 % of NHL games played.

What does that say?

Sweden is disproportionately sending players to the NHL that are fighting out marginal roles (12th/13th forward, sent down and called back up from the AHL). This makes sense as there is a transfer agreement between SHL and NHL, and the money as a 13th forward/7th defensemen or even a 2-way AHL player is often favorable to what they could get in the SHL. So Swedes are more likely to be "in the system" and will grind it out, for years beyond their ELC and waiver-exempt years and stick around even without certain NHL prospects. From there, being "around" gives opportunity and gives some players a chance to break out into bigger roles in their prime years, etc. Americans and Canadians are of course even much more likely than Swedes for this (someone like Carter Verhaeghe going from 3rd round bust playing in the ECHL to 42 goal scorer in the NHL is the most extreme sort of example) as some Swedes will go home.

For Russia, no transfer agreement between NHL and KHL, so they are not even in the same ecosystem. A player without an assured role is more likely to head back over to the KHL where they can make more money than a 13th forward or 2-way contract. A KHL contract is going to be competitive with bottom NHL spots and more favorable to AHL money, and then the cultural differences (Swedes speak very good english, Russians seldom do) make it pretty obvious for a Russian to go back to the KHL. From there, they hit their prime in Russia, the NHL team holds their rights indefinitely but is likely moved on to developing a new wave of prospects rather than trying to chase a KHL player (that they haven't seen for some time) back into the NHL to marginally improve their roster.

It's not particularly complicated. Russia and Sweden had pretty similar results at the U20 level (both on the podium a lot but snake bitten as far as Gold Medals go in recent years). The high-end theoretical rosters are pretty comparable. There is not some huge gap between Swedish Hockey and Russian Hockey, there are just other factors at play to explain why there would be more Swedes in the NHL.
Gentleman found a bias to say that Russia is better than Sweden.

But where are the Russian centers? the dominant defenders? the wingmen who work ?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
1 guy. Great.
Just like this dude....2014 USHL leading scorer, low level ECHL talent, out of hockey 4 years now.
Jake Randolph at eliteprospects.com

Contradicting yourself even more..

This all inadvertently proves the "Russian factor" is real, which corresponds to lower number of drafted players in the MHL.

N°1 2020

N° 2019

And the following ones have the same profile. Jake Rudolph is succeeded by Kyle Connor. Nick Schmaltz and Brandon Montour top 10. It's another thing than Ilya Mikheyev.

There is a difference in the level of players on each list every year...

I don't want to waste my time counting the number of NHLers who have passed through USHL and compared to MHL but the ratio must be 6 to 1.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

N°1 2020

N° 2019

And the following ones have the same profile. Jake Rudolph is succeeded by Kyle Connor. Nick Schmaltz and Brandon Montour top 10. It's another thing than Ilya Mikheyev.

There is a difference in the level of players on each list every year...

I don't want to waste my time counting the number of NHLers who have passed through USHL and compared to MHL but the ratio must be 6 to 1.

I could do the same for a bunch of USHL leading scorers.
Point being 'nobodys' are outscoring future NHLers at USHL level. As has been pointed out to you, this is because player's potential and current strength are different things which can alter strength of junior league. But according to you draft picks are all that matter.

You're just making my point for me every time you post.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I could do the same for a bunch of USHL leading scorers.
Point being 'nobodys' are outscoring future NHLers at USHL level. As has been pointed out to you, this is because player's potential and current strength are different things which can alter strength of junior league. But according to you draft picks are all that matter.

You're just making my point for me every time you post.
Oh well, I admit it.

MHL is the best junior league in the world.

Continue to dream.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Elite Prospect stopped to update his statistics after 34 games. He's 24+31 after 40 games. Kucherov at the same age had 29+25 after 53 games.

Ryabkin is just 3 points behind the MHL lead scorer with 11 fewer games played. Of course he's 1 point behind Demidov who played 12 fewer games.

And he's 5 points ahead of Surin with the same games played, and Surin is rated pretty high for this draft.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Elite Prospect stopped to update his statistics after 34 games. He's 24+31 after 40 games. Kucherov at the same age had 29+25 after 53 games.

Ryabkin is just 3 points behind the MHL lead scorer with 11 fewer games played. Of course he's 1 point behind Demidov who played 12 fewer games.

And he's 5 points ahead of Surin with the same games played, and Surin is rated pretty high for this draft.
Very impressive for an '07. Will Dynamo Moscow give him a chance in the KHL next season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad