Speculation: Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well

To follow in my great mentor( Cloned) foot steps Do we add a 3C in the off season ?

• Total voters

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Next year will be more of an indication of where his offense will be.

I mean, the entire 2nd round of 2018 has 2 goals in 104 games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Mcleod's looked good, but too early to tell if he'll slot in for sure in 3C. I do think he's likely found himself a roster spot for next year though. Tippett seems to like him.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The 3C has been identified as a real need to push the team up a notch or two. Generally speaking, we have to be thinking about what it takes to beat Vegas or Tampa, rather than just upgrading a position. As such, bring in the 3C talent and see how the candidates play out. Much less risk for the club, especially if the 3C is called upon to play up the lineup.
From what we've seen of Macleod so far, he's smart enough and skilled enough to fit somewhere in the top 9 for sure.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As @OfCorsiDid mentioned above, Dylan Holloway factors in to this discussion.

Does the Oilers braintrust intend on developing him as a centre or top 6 winger?...I’m assuming the latter but he was drafted as a C.
There's a few potential options. Right now set in stone imo is 1C McDavid and 3C McLeod going forward and he's been groomed perfectly for the position. Long-term Holloway's position likely depends on what he develops into. If he can carry a 2nd line it gives you the option of playing Drai on wing with McDavid, if he can't his game is still very well suited for the wing.

It certainly doesn't hurt having 4 guys in your top 9 who can play centre (5 if you include Nuge), and 3 of those guys (Drai, McLeod, Holloway) with the potential to be good on faceoffs. McDavid's improving in that area as well. Gives you a lot of versatility.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Between McLeod and Holloway I don't think we should be looking for a 3C.

I wouldn't "waste" Holloway's talents on the 3rd line next season unless he proves to be too good for the AHL and not good enough for the top 6 here.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't "waste" Holloway's talents on the 3rd line next season unless he proves to be too good for the AHL and not good enough for the top 6 here.
As a rookie I don't think you're really wasting either of Holloway or McLeod there. I think they would create a massive reshaping of our bottom 6 and turn us into a 3 or even 4 line team.

We'll see how he looks in camp, but I think he's NHL ready. He'll be 20 with 2 years NCAA experience, so not exactly young or inexperienced.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
If Nuge doesn't extend, he could even be a 2C much sooner than expected, and Holland can shop for a bottom 6 center and save some coin as opposed to paying Nuge 6M+

I don't why, but McSmiles kind of reminds of a young Ryan Smyth. The way he skates, works along the boards, and the natural grit embedded into his game.
He has the right attitude, mindset, and the confidence to go with it. Would love to see his version of Horcoff, in Tyler Benson, get a call up too. Too late to happen this season, but it's time for both of those prospects to play in the NHL going forward

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oilers could sign a scoring winger I think that is a better place to spend the money. Someone like Tatar who can play both sides gives you a lot of flexibility.

Draisaitl McDavid Puljujarvi
Holloway Nuge Tatar
Benson McLeod Yamamoto
Archibald Khaira Kassian

or

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Nuge Draisaitl Yamamoto
Holloway McLeod Archibald
Arcibald Hass Kassian

or

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
Holloway Draisaitl Yamamoto
McLeod Nuge Archibald
Benson Kahira Kassian

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Pretty simple . Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well or do they still go after say Haula ?
I think they are better using the cap space else where . Maybe even a good 3rd line RW if Kassian doesn't wake up .
He hasn't looked out of place and has stepped in very well. That said he has no points and has only played a handful of games. Sooner or later "looking good" means nothing. Produce or gtfo. lol

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Actually develop our own 3rd and 4th liners instead of signing or trading for veteran jags? What kind of sorcery is this?
:)

FINALLY!

This is what Vancouver needs to do now (BAD signings and paying the bottoms 6 tons of cash is too hit & miss to deliver good value year-over-year)

space321

May 11, 2011
It never hurts to have more quality NHL centres on the team. They can be moved to wing (like RNH) if necessary. So yes, a Haula level player (15g 20a solid defensively) would be very welcome.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If RNH re-signs, I would not add a 3C.

RNH/X-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH/X-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway-McLeod-Kassian
Benson/Shore-Khaira-Archibald

I would just target another top 6 LW to play alongside McDavid/Draisaitl. Wouldn't JT Miller be a good candidate? He can play both the wing and center position for the Oilers (around 50% on faceoffs). Therefore, if injuries happen, he can slide into a center role on the team.

RNH has looked better the last few games . I don't want to over pay him but for the right price bring him back

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Between McLeod and Holloway I don't think we should be looking for a 3C.

While I agree we also want to be careful about forcing them into a position they aren't ready for . I do think we need to add a real good winger for the 3rd line to help McLeod . We know the DRY line works . I think a 3rd line of Holloway McLeod and Puljujarvi would destroy other teams bottom 6 but we would need to find 2 Mcwingers

XXX McDavid XXX
DRY
HMP
Archibald Haas/Khaira Kassian

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
3rd line W or C in NHL for Holloway would not be 'waste' but could very well be his ceiling.
Playing 3W or 3C for first few years of his NHL career would be good enough.
Ideally he compliments McD on top line but that can wait..

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
lets see...
On Mcleod's line in Bakersfield while Mcleod was responsible for most of the center duties Benson did alot of the playmaking from the Left side.
Hopefully they start Holloway after two or three games in the AHL to get knowledge and experience and maturity there for 40 -45 games minimum--mid Januaryish?
Tatar at this point hasn't been signed but is likely a expansion UFA? Maybe Lehkonen and probably Armia( with Anderson and Gallagher being top guys now) will squirt loose. Armia is very good two ways these days and could do a 2nd/3rd line thing with Yamo.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
What we are seeing with Mcleod is basically what happened in Detroit for so many years. Holland has always let his prospects overripe in the minors. The next few years are going to be amazing, buckle up, its going to be fun.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
RNH has looked better the last few games . I don't want to over pay him but for the right price bring him back

I agree, RNH has looked good the last two games and his line with Kahun and Yamo has been buzzing.

The only thing I can't tell is, are they looking good? or is Vancouver just looking really bad

Reactions: CravenMH

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Oilers need to avoid the trap of signing/re-signing aging players to fill a current hole that may be quickly filled by an entry level internal option. Signing Barrie, a UFA 3C, a vet top 4 left shot D, etc are all things that will handicap them cap wise when these players become redundant.

The team is good enough now that they can still win while test driving these options, then pick up rentals if they need an upgrade. Going term on any of these players would be idiotic.

In my mind a legit top 6 left wing and a younger goalie with long term potential are the only things they need to shop for this off season. They have enough forward prospects to fill the third line gap and D prospects to fill the left shot gap.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
While I agree we also want to be careful about forcing them into a position they aren't ready for . I do think we need to add a real good winger for the 3rd line to help McLeod . We know the DRY line works . I think a 3rd line of Holloway McLeod and Puljujarvi would destroy other teams bottom 6 but we would need to find 2 Mcwingers

XXX McDavid XXX
DRY
HMP
Archibald Haas/Khaira Kassian
No way im moving JP off McDavid's wing, but yeah we could use a decent 3rd line winger. I think Kahun could get a chance there but bring in another guy or 2 to compete with him and Benson for the spot.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I agree, RNH has looked good the last two games and his line with Kahun and Yamo has been buzzing.

The only thing I can't tell is, are they looking good? or is Vancouver just looking really bad

Yes this is true ( Vancouver wise ) but Vancouver still has pride and don't want to be embarrassed . They are still playing hard with 1/2 a team but some of these rookies are ready for the NHL .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad