Speculation: Do the Oilers need a 3C with McLeod playing so well

To follow in my great mentor( Cloned) foot steps Do we add a 3C in the off season ?

• Total voters

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I hope Haas is back next year. He is useful. I don't see 3c as an absolute priority though. Would have been cool to have a guy like Ryan Strome there

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I’d rather have McLeod earn it during TC. I doubt Haas is back so we’ll have an open spot. I wouldn’t mind signing a veteran UFA to a 1 year deal that could fill that spot.

Something like this. I think its good to have depth, so adding a extra vet 3C, who can fill in at 2 - 4C role or wing at moments is what I would look for, meanwhile MacLeod etablish himself at C.

I dont know abou Haas. He has talent, but he seems to have a hard time in NHL. OfC if you have linemates as Neal, chiasson and Khaira at best, its not that easy to be a topscorer.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I also wouldn't mind seeing him with Pulju more. They haven't played too much together but the limited time they have played together I thought they looked dangerous flying all over the ice.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
This is a question that for better or for worse brings up a few other questions.

1. How does Dylan Holloway fit in next year?
2. How does Tyler Benson fit in next year?
3. Is there a better, similar priced option available in free agency?

We won't have the answers to the first two until next fall, but we can safely assume that there won't be a better option in free agency for a similar price, especially considering the Oilers need to add a 1/2 LW and a 2/3 LD in addition to re-signing UFAs and RFAs.

In terms of McLeod's lack of production thus far, I again would attribute it to our lack of skill on the bottom 6. Frequently, I see McLeod getting open or making passes to his wingers but either the winger misses McLeod (Ennis) or fluffs on the pass (Archibald). The underlying stats bear this out as well.

CF% : 51.64
xG%: 54.08
PDO: 0.999

Although its pretty comedic to look at Corsi and Expected Goals through a sample size of 6 GP and 68:31 TOI, I'd say any analytics department would be satisfied with his performance so far, despite his lack of boxcar stats. If he's able to maintain these stats, one would assume he would eventually produce, not unlike what a lot of us were saying about Puljujarvi a few weeks ago. Although I personally would love to see him get some time with McDavid at 1LW I doubt this happens since he's more valuable to Tippett's system at 3C as he has seemed to tire of the Kharia, Shore, Turris carousel at 3C.

If we compare him to similar players on similar teams we get a better sense of where to place the goal posts going forward:

Alex Kerfoot: 8-13-21 in 52 GP, 0.4 pts/GP
Nazem Kadri: 11-18-29 in 50 GP, 0.58 pts/GP
Adam Lowry: 8-12-20 in 47 GP, 0.43 pts/GP
Jesperi Kotkaniemi: 5-15-20 in 51 GP, 0.39 pts/GP

Now most of these guys, save for Kotkaniemi have significantly more NHL/Pro experience (I mean even Jesperi has more than McLeod too) so comparing him to them might be slightly unfair right now. However, going forward, if McLeod demonstrates the ability to score at a 0.4 pts/GP clip then he's definitely the solution at 3C. Time will tell, and I imagine since we have already clinched a spot McLeod is going to get a lot of runway to solidify himself as the 3C on this team.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Actually develop our own 3rd and 4th liners instead of signing or trading for veteran jags? What kind of sorcery is this?

Reactions: K1984

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think the Oilers are 2-3 good forwards short of competing atm.

I think you try to sign a top six forward and a couple of 2/3rd line tweener types and pencil Holloway/McLeod on the 4th line. If they pan out you have a great bottom six and if not you don't sacrifice the third line.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Stick with McLeod imo (assuming his good play continues into these playoffs). Safer bet than free agency, especially with Holloway also likely competing for an NHL spot. 3C money can be better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Leaning towards, no we dont need a centre. But it is a little early to tell. Like everyone else in here I wouldn't mind seeing him on Mcdavids wing.

He also lets us focus in on finding a goalie and top 6 fwd this offseason.

Id still go for another short-term, cheap centre as an insurance piece.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Absolutely this is found money. Especially considering he is good at faceoffs.

I would like to have McLeod, Haas and Holloway fight for 3C next year, and Khaira and Glendening fight for 4C.

Bottom six will include a combinations of Benson, McLeod, Holloway (less likely) , Archibald, Khaira, Glendening and Kassian. I would bring Chiasson back on a value contract too if we could.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
AHL or NHL. I think calling up Benson could benefit Mcleod. Their chemistry could do some damage on the 3rd line

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Something like this. I think its good to have depth, so adding a extra vet 3C, who can fill in at 2 - 4C role or wing at moments is what I would look for, meanwhile MacLeod etablish himself at C.

I dont know abou Haas. He has talent, but he seems to have a hard time in NHL. OfC if you have linemates as Neal, chiasson and Khaira at best, its not that easy to be a topscorer.

The thing with Haas when we try to comment that his lack of offense comes from his linemates, well then why do his linemates have more points than him. No forward who has played more than 8 games has less even strength goals than him, though Turris and Kassian are tied with him and every forawrd who has played more than 9 games has more assists than him. He even only has one more point that Koskinen or PRuss.

Don't hate the player as he seldom seems to make major mistakes, but he generates literally nothing.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
As @OfCorsiDid mentioned above, Dylan Holloway factors in to this discussion.

Does the Oilers braintrust intend on developing him as a centre or top 6 winger?...I’m assuming the latter but he was drafted as a C.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
IMO they dont and Holloway should slot in top 6 or 3rd line depending on his ability next year.

Move Khaira and Archibald to 4th line and we got a solid group.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's fine getting the buttery soft minutes, but they could still use a legitimate defensive option in the bottom six.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd wait until we can see what he can do offensively before penciling him in there next season. At worst he's a 4C. If he can gain some offensive confidence and be a little more physical on the opposition then he could be a decent 3C and hopefully really grow into that role.

Reactions: BudBundy

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If RNH re-signs, I would not add a 3C.

RNH/X-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH/X-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway-McLeod-Kassian
Benson/Shore-Khaira-Archibald

I would just target another top 6 LW to play alongside McDavid/Draisaitl. Wouldn't JT Miller be a good candidate? He can play both the wing and center position for the Oilers (around 50% on faceoffs). Therefore, if injuries happen, he can slide into a center role on the team.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad