Do the Oilers make the Playoffs in the 2018-19 season? MOD-Please Re-Vote, Poll is Now Public!

Do they make the playoffs in 2018-19?

• Total voters

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
According to the website I checked, in order to have a 66% chance of getting in they need to go 13-3-1. So that's 3 regulation losses total to burn, even in a friendly scenario. Basically this only happens if they turn back into the team that was playing when Hitch showed up, and even that might not be enough. It's sad. :(

does that website take in account the record of the other teams? If we played the teams we are chasing more then we might have a chance. But we do not

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
In 2014-15 Ottawa was 7 points back with 16 games left. Has anyone overcome a larger defecit this late in the season?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
In 2014-15 Ottawa was 7 points back with 16 games left. Has anyone overcome a larger defecit this late in the season?

Didn't that team go on some CRAZY run? I don't remember the record, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I seem to recall that they finished with a nut-balls record. That was the year of the hamburgler wasn't it? (did i get that nickname right?)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That was the year.

21-3-3 in the final two months; 12-2-2 over their final 16 games. They caught Boston and Chiarelli ended up getting fired.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
That was the year.

21-3-3 in the final two months; 12-2-2 over their final 16 games. They caught Boston and Chiarelli ended up getting fired.

With the Oilers schedule to the end of the year it's plausible they could have a similar run. Plus Chiarelli's already fired so that's half the equation right?

I think they can lose 3 regulation games or the equivalent with OTLs. Until they've lost more than that I'll be cheering for wins. After that, just lose baby!

Reactions: snag

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Don't think they will make it but if they do I could see them going deep with that momentum!

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019
Unfortunately, they've got no chance. The problem is not being 8 points back, the problem is having to jump over so many teams (Dallas or Minnesota plus all of Arizona, Colorado, Chicago and Vancouver) , which means having to do much better than all of them, which is pretty much impossible.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We're 6 points out and the 4 teams in front of us in the standings fighting for the wildcard spot aren't in the best of shape.
There's a chance we make it, but we've gotta stay healthy for sure to make it happen.
Absolutely cannot afford to have another game where 1/2 of the team plays like they don't care if they've got a job next year.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What's just gross is the wildcard spots are being held by a teams on pace for 88 points.

11-4-1 could get us in with 89.

hahaha

my god the west is turrible.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Im agreeing that making the playoffs is a long shot... but I don't think its as bad as it looks. Lets look at the 4 teams ahead of us and there last 10 games played records...

Dallas 5-5-0
Minny 5-3-2
Arizona 8-2-0
Colorado 6-3-1

If Edmonton wins 8 of the next 10 games played and the teams all continue their current paces.. they would catch (be tied with) Dallas and be 2 points behind Minny and be tied with Colorado. Arizona would hold the first wild card and we would be 4 points behind them. We only need to catch 3 of these teams not all four.

Would look like this:

WILD CARD

Arizona (EDM 4 points behind)
Minny (EDM 2 points behind)

Dallas (tied)
Edmonton (tied)
Colorado (tied)

AND WE WOULD HAVE A GAME AGAINST EACH DALLAS AND COLORADO TO GO WITH 6 GAMES LEFT!!

So basically what im saying is.. there is 16 games left in the season..

If the Oilers can put together a streak here and win 8 of their next 10 games and the other teams ahead of us stay consistent with their last 10 games played record...

We would be 2 points out of a playoff spot with 6 games left.

Lets take it 1 game at a time boys.. its time to start score board watching as well if we can keep winning games!

Its not over yet!!!

And we play Arizona on the 16th... and Dallas on the 28th.. and Colorado on the 2nd... so we play 3 of the 4 teams we are trying to catch once before the end of the season...

We ultimately need to play at a 80% win rate for the rest of the year... and if we did that.. I like our chances of making it.

Last edited:

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
We play both Dallas and Colorado within the final 6 games of the season.. it could ultimately come down to one of those games!

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Unfortunately, they've got no chance. The problem is not being 8 points back, the problem is having to jump over so many teams (Dallas or Minnesota plus all of Arizona, Colorado, Chicago and Vancouver) , which means having to do much better than all of them, which is pretty much impossible.
Cross out Chicago and Vancouver, Colorado's next, then Arizona.

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
The 2 teams that currently hold the wild card positions are barely holding on as it is... they are very much up for grabs... if Oilers can keep winning.. anything can happen! Its time to rally behind the team and give them HOPE!!!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
5-1-2 since sekera returned.

having a top 4 defender over a bottom 6-8 guy makes a world of difference

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Im agreeing that making the playoffs is a long shot... but I don't think its as bad as it looks. Lets look at the 4 teams ahead of us and there last 10 games played records...

Dallas 5-5-0
Minny 5-3-2
Arizona 8-2-0
Colorado 6-3-1

If Edmonton wins 8 of the next 10 games played and the teams all continue their current paces.. they would catch (be tied with) Dallas and be 2 points behind Minny and be tied with Colorado. Arizona would hold the first wild card and we would be 4 points behind them. We only need to catch 3 of these teams not all four.

Would look like this:

WILD CARD

Arizona (EDM 4 points behind)
Minny (EDM 2 points behind)

Dallas (tied)
Edmonton (tied)
Colorado (tied)

AND WE WOULD HAVE A GAME AGAINST EACH DALLAS AND COLORADO TO GO WITH 6 GAMES LEFT!!

So basically what im saying is.. there is 16 games left in the season..

If the Oilers can put together a streak here and win 8 of their next 10 games and the other teams ahead of us stay consistent with their last 10 games played record...

We would be 2 points out of a playoff spot with 6 games left.

Lets take it 1 game at a time boys.. its time to start score board watching as well if we can keep winning games!

Its not over yet!!!

And we play Arizona on the 16th... and Dallas on the 28th.. and Colorado on the 2nd... so we play 3 of the 4 teams we are trying to catch once before the end of the season...

We ultimately need to play at a 80% win rate for the rest of the year... and if we did that.. I like our chances of making it.

That some wild optimism. But it goes to show in the new NHL just how important points are. Go 8-2 in the next 10 and only make up 4 points? haha.

Reactions: Chabot84

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
telling you, Oilers will be 3 points back with 10 games to go from what I conclude looking at the upcoming schedule for all the wild card teams. Edmonton is going 4-1-1 in their next 6 to get to within 3. The Minnesota Wild are going to lose their next 2 games. All the Oilers need to do is go into game 7 mode just for the next 2 games to close the gap with the Wild, next up would be finding a way to close the gap with the Stars which is more difficult as the Stars have an easier schedule for the next 3 teams.

best case scenario this week 2 points back of the WILD

Worst case 5 points back of both

either scenario still leaves us wiggle room to make a run.

* but we have to win our 2 games **** integral

also Arizona is on a 6 game run winning all 6. Expect them to hit a bit of a slide, they will not continue winning out. Their run is about to end , They are not good enough to sustain a long streak

Last edited:

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
That some wild optimism. But it goes to show in the new NHL just how important points are. Go 8-2 in the next 10 and only make up 4 points? haha.

crazy right... im just saying if the boys keep on winning here then they deserve our support for the final push!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
7 pts, and with a game in hand, getting closer :thumbu:

Next couple of games probably won't change much though tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad