Do the Oilers make the Playoffs in the 2018-19 season? MOD-Please Re-Vote, Poll is Now Public!

Do they make the playoffs in 2018-19?

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But its a capped league. We have the Art Ross winner as a highly paid player, Drais as well. That's what, 21M of our payroll. As good as it is to have the two the cost is also considerable. That's always going to be in play unless the cap goes up pretty significantly.

The problem is not the 21 mill spent on those 2 players.

It's the nearly 20 million spent on Lucic, Sekera, Strome, and Russell.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The problem is not the 21 mill spent on those 2 players.

It's the 15.5 million spent on Lucic, Sekera, and Russell.

Its not like I disagree, heh, but theres no room in our cap structure for mistakes like that. Most clubs have them. But most still have wiggle room despite it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its not like I disagree, heh, but theres no room in our cap structure for mistakes like that. Most clubs have them. But most still have wiggle room despite it.

Was this team even in a playoff spot at any point last year past game 1?

If you have the best player in the world ... and this was a different situation, like Florida or New York, I would from the outside looking in at that also say "what a freaking gong show".

I don't really thinks its out of line for people looking from the outside in briefly at this team to say "man, something is really rotten with that team".

McDavid wasn't even earning 12.5 last year either, lol. So you can't really even use that as an excuse.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
^I'm the biggest Draisaitl fan on the board and I'm expecting major falloff from where he was even last season at 70pts. This being DUE to what kind of quality he will have to work with (not great) and that the player I expect is exhausted with expectation. For 3seasons now Drai has carried too much on his back, of course as well as McD. I think fall off for both might be due. Stars have off seasons.

Drai could finish as low as 55pts this season and the board would implode. I think he'll finish with 60something. I think he gets less time with McD this season and ends up having to drag whoever he is playing with.

Its hard for even top quality Centers (that are very young) to be able to hold up complete lines, if not the team in general. You can fill bottomsix easy enough. If you fill topsix with wingers it ends up looking like Rattie, Aberg, Rieder, Cammy, nothing great. You don't see how that's been such a limiting factor? The only guy that did fill was Maroon, the only one, and very hard to replace.

Can you imagine if this team again starts out poorly this season? This time out we would see more players pulling the plug and really, an outright team and org disaster.

I still don't know why the org has patience with the multiple players that simply pulled the plug on last season
At least one part of the Oilers exceeded your expectations. :)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am utterly amazed that there are more people that think they will make the playoffs. Based on what, exactly?

One of the worst goalies in the league. Bottom-5 defensive corps in the league. Worst winger scoring in the league.

We'll be closer to bottom-5, than top-16 this year.

I'll just leave this right here. The normal people, looking at you Senor Catface, said I was "thinking the worst of everything", when in reality I was just being realistic. We are currently 5 points out of the bottom 5, and 8 points out of the top 16.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At least one part of the Oilers exceeded your expectations. :)

At the time I thought the org was stupid enough to continue to forcefeed Yamamoto into the lineup and I thought, because I'm a pessimist, and that it always seems to happen to my favorite players, that it would fall on Draisaitl to rear the kid just like it fell on Gagner to look after Omark and Paajarvi. Never an ideal situation.

Then there was his rebirth on the PP and as a scoring machine. I always maintained he had the best shot on the club, but I didn't see 40 or 50 goals coming.

But aside from that I'm amazed how much Drai was able to retain positivity this season in the midst of chaos and constant team, and org disappointment. His resilience, surprised even me. He's really an incredible person, as well as an incredible player.

Its arguable that he has exhibited more resolve than even McD on this team. Who saw that coming?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'll just leave this right here. The normal people, looking at you Senor Catface, said I was "thinking the worst of everything", when in reality I was just being realistic. We are currently 5 points out of the bottom 5, and 8 points out of the top 16.
the reality is you do always think of the worst of everything.

Do you remember your trash posts about mcdavid?

Reactions: Del Preston

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
too many teams in front of us that are getting 5+ game winning streaks....we need to go on a 10 game streak or we wont make it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
4 things.

GK not posting when the oilers are good.
I was here plenty when the Oilers had their one good year. A small hot stretch doesn’t erase the two month stretch where they had a .250 winning percentage.

Good thing the Oilers won yesterday. Why aren’t they able to deliver more efforts like that?

Maybe the fifth thing is you whining about other posters.

Reactions: harpoon

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
the reality is you do always think of the worst of everything.

Do you remember your trash posts about mcdavid?

Yeah, I sure do. People make mistakes, and that was one of mine. I've actually been wrong on BOTH of our superstars. I thought McDavid would score as many points as he does, I wasn't wrong about that, but I had a lot of reservations about his goal scoring ability. Obviously that has been incorrect, and his shot (which was a weak spot) is now a weapon. With Drai I didn't see enough speed to make me think he would be dominant. Again, Drai worked hard on his skating and its now a plus for him IMO.

So no, I don't think the worst of everything, it's just that as Oilers fans over the past 2 decades, we've had an awful lot to think badly of.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
They've run out of runway.. Even if they go 13-4 with this schedule the rest of the way they're probably fighting for last spot. It's just too many points right now to make up.

If we sneak in we would play CGY which would be fun.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
They've run out of runway.. Even if they go 13-4 with this schedule the rest of the way they're probably fighting for last spot. It's just too many points right now to make up.

According to the website I checked, in order to have a 66% chance of getting in they need to go 13-3-1. So that's 3 regulation losses total to burn, even in a friendly scenario. Basically this only happens if they turn back into the team that was playing when Hitch showed up, and even that might not be enough. It's sad. :(

WIOiler

Apr 19, 2017
I hope they don't. I want to play good hockey the rest of the season, get a new GM, new coach, and start over for next year. I don't think McDavid likes playing for Hitch.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I voted yes but then Sekera, Klefbom and Russell missed massive amounts of the season with injury.
I voted yes thinking that Talbot would bounce back but instead his penchant for letting in the first shot of the game continued.
I voted yes thinking that our GM would add forward talent to the team instead of strip talent from the forwards for a players who would be healthy scratched or farmed out.
I voted yes thinking Lucic would find his game over the summer instead of over the Christmas break.
I voted yes thinking that Khaira, Brodziak, Reider, Rattie, Puljujuarvi and Lucic - half the forwards - would have more than the 20 goals they have between all of them.

I am an idiot.

Mind you:
No team is making the playoffs with 3 of their top 4 D down, getting below average goaltending, chasing most of their games, losing forward depth with no replacements, no production from their 3rd highest paid player in 80 games, and entirely half the forwards getting only 20 goals between them all.

Anyway as well as they are playing now the runway that they like to talk about so much is rapidly disappearing and there is a cliff at the end of it. We haven't gotten up to lift off speed yet.....

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
When I was lurking in October I would have said yes. But now I say no. The mathematics work against the oilers. We are 8 pts behind the wild with 17 games left. Meaning we need to win 4 more games then them just to catch them. The last ten games the wild have gone 5-4-1 while we have gone 4-4-2. So they have moved 1 pts further a head of us. But they are not the biggest issue we are facing. So in the last ten games we got 10 pts. Hawks also got 10 pts, Colorado Avalanche have gotten 13 pts in the last ten games, Arizona Coyotes have hit with 16, and the Dallas Stars have racked up 10 pts. So it is not just about catching the two teams in the wild card spots but also passing 3 other teams and I do not see that happening unless we go 14-3 the rest of the way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad