Do the Oilers make the Playoffs in the 2018-19 season? MOD-Please Re-Vote, Poll is Now Public!

Do they make the playoffs in 2018-19?

• Total voters

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Losing that Toronto game was huge.. that was a for sure loss in many peoples eyes.. I would have liked to see a much better effort in that game there.. its not the fact that they loss its how they lost that concerned me when it comes to their playoff chances.

Example: We play San Jose second last game of the season... so what if that's the game that decides whether we make the playoffs or not? We could and most likely will need those 2 points... maybe San Jose is resting stars maybe they aren't.. Either way, during this last 13 game journey we are going to have to get some wins that we normally wouldn't get... we are going to have to rise to that challenge and so far Toronto was a fail.

Oilers 5 points out of wild card with game in hand.

Our next 9 games are for the most part very winnable, at least no guaranteed losses like the Toronto game:

I put a W beside all the games that should be auto wins for us

New Jersey W
Arizona MUST WIN
Vegas
St Louis
Columbus
Ottawa W
Kings W
Dallas MUST WIN
Anaheim W

So that's 4 out of the next 9 games that we should be easy wins for us. (No win seems easy for the Oilers haha)

Lets be honest.. ideally we need to win all 9 games.

We can add some MUST WINS to the list because if we lose any of those games its pretty much game over so might as well count those as wins too in any situation in which we make the playoffs..

So.. that's 6 out of the 9 games.. leaving the toughest stretch that will define whether we make the playoffs or not being the games against Vegas + St Louis + Columbus... maybe allow for one loss in there.... so we go 8-1 in the next 9 games.

If you look at what a normal record would be for this stretch of 9 games I think its pretty easy to say we would most likely leave this stretch with a winning record... prob go like 6-3-0 and if you break that down... there is 4 auto wins in there so in the last 5 games where wins aren't certain we went 2-3. So all we are really asking the Oilers to do here.. is to find a way to win 2 more games then they normally would.

Its do-able.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We will know better after the next 2 games. We win both, I will actually believe. Lose to the Coyotes and its curtains on the playoffs.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Losing that Toronto game was huge.. that was a for sure loss in many peoples eyes.. I would have liked to see a much better effort in that game there.. its not the fact that they loss its how they lost that concerned me when it comes to their playoff chances.

Example: We play San Jose second last game of the season... so what if that's the game that decides whether we make the playoffs or not? We could and most likely will need those 2 points... maybe San Jose is resting stars maybe they aren't.. Either way, during this last 13 game journey we are going to have to get some wins that we normally wouldn't get... we are going to have to rise to that challenge and so far Toronto was a fail.

Oilers 5 points out of wild card with game in hand.

Our next 9 games are for the most part very winnable, at least no guaranteed losses like the Toronto game:

I put a W beside all the games that should be auto wins for us

New Jersey W
Arizona MUST WIN
Vegas
St Louis
Columbus
Ottawa W
Kings W
Dallas MUST WIN
Anaheim W

So that's 4 out of the next 9 games that we should be easy wins for us. (No win seems easy for the Oilers haha)

Lets be honest.. ideally we need to win all 9 games.

We can add some MUST WINS to the list because if we lose any of those games its pretty much game over so might as well count those as wins too in any situation in which we make the playoffs..

So.. that's 6 out of the 9 games.. leaving the toughest stretch that will define whether we make the playoffs or not being the games against Vegas + St Louis + Columbus... maybe allow for one loss in there.... so we go 8-1 in the next 9 games.

If you look at what a normal record would be for this stretch of 9 games I think its pretty easy to say we would most likely leave this stretch with a winning record... prob go like 6-3-0 and if you break that down... there is 4 auto wins in there so in the last 5 games where wins aren't certain we went 2-3. So all we are really asking the Oilers to do here.. is to find a way to win 2 more games then they normally would.

Its do-able.

They do probably need to go 8-1-0 or 7-0-2 over the next 9 games. The last 4 games in April are tough and they probably have to go 3-1-0 in those games too against tough teams in Vegas, Colorado and Calgary on the road and San Jose at home. So you're looking at having to go 11-2-0 or something to make it to 91 points which is what they would need to get into the playoffs if Minnesota goes 8-4-0 and Arizona goes 8-4-1 to close out the season with 90 points each.

Now the wild card here is Dallas who have a tough schedule to close out the year but they could still just go 8-6-0 and finish with 91 points. However if they struggle and there's two spots available it gets more interesting. Colorado is still in it especially given that they have 5 games left against the teams they're fighting for a playoff spot with but they've been sliding and I'm not sure they'll keep pace with Landeskog out. Then there's Chicago who currently has 69 points as well and their schedule is similar difficulty wise to the Oilers and they've been hot recently. Lots of competition and very little room for error so the Oilers just need to keep winning.

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
They do probably need to go 8-1-0 or 7-0-2 over the next 9 games. The last 4 games in April are tough and they probably have to go 3-1-0 in those games too against tough teams in Vegas, Colorado and Calgary on the road and San Jose at home. So you're looking at having to go 11-2-0 or something to make it to 91 points which is what they would need to get into the playoffs if Minnesota goes 8-4-0 and Arizona goes 8-4-1 to close out the season with 90 points each.

Now the wild card here is Dallas who have a tough schedule to close out the year but they could still just go 8-6-0 and finish with 91 points. However if they struggle and there's two spots available it gets more interesting. Colorado is still in it especially given that they have 5 games left against the teams they're fighting for a playoff spot with but they've been sliding and I'm not sure they'll keep pace with Landeskog out. Then there's Chicago who currently has 69 points as well and their schedule is similar difficulty wise to the Oilers and they've been hot recently. Lots of competition and very little room for error so the Oilers just need to keep winning.

You got it partner... one game at a time!!! But this can all look a lot better when we play Arizona... as if they lose to St Louis tonight and beat Anaheim and then lose to us... while we just beat New Jersey and then beat them.. we will be tied with them in points with a game in hand. CHEAH!! 1 thing at a time!

Chicago plays Toronto next and we play NJ.... good chance we can pace with them ahead 2 points if we can just win the next game lol

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Yeah it says 5% but when actually looking at the big picture and breaking everything down I think our chances are actually a little higher then that.. we have 4 auto wins in our next 9 games.. we can be tied in points with Arizona (with a game in hand) if we beat New Jersey and then beat them and they lose to St Louis tonight... 1 thing at a time and I think that site.. the percentage points will start jumping up rapidly

Hongolia

Jul 1, 2006
Yeah it says 5% but when actually looking at the big picture and breaking everything down I think our chances are actually a little higher then that.. we have 4 auto wins in our next 9 games.. we can be tied in points with Arizona (with a game in hand) if we beat New Jersey and then beat them and they lose to St Louis tonight... 1 thing at a time and I think that site.. the percentage points will start jumping up rapidly
These are the Edmonton Oilers. There are no auto-wins!

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
These are the Edmonton Oilers. There are no auto-wins!

The way they are playing right now Im comfortable that they are going to win those games... they are on fire right now. Beating Toronto would have changed the tune around here.. its okay they learned their lesson... they are gonna have to win some tough games to make it... that's a fact. They need our support. If they keep winning we should support them... no reason to think they cant win those 4 games against teams completely out of the playoff race.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A mere 5 points out seems insurmountable at this time of year. If they were 5 points out seven games ago giving them 20 games to play, I'd be a little more hopeful.

I'm not giving up hope, it's faint but doable. They need so many things to go right from here on out-all they as a team can do and we as fans can do is take it one period at a time, one game at a time. But, they're playing meaningful games!

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
A mere 5 points out seems insurmountable at this time of year. If they were 5 points out seven games ago giving them 20 games to play, I'd be a little more hopeful.

I'm not giving up hope, it's faint but doable. They need so many things to go right from here on out-all they as a team can do and we as fans can do is take it one period at a time, one game at a time. But, they're playing meaningful games!

If we beat the Devils it's actually 3 or 4 points out depending on what happens with the Coyotes' next game. Minny has played an extra game.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Its all so confusing as to what the cut will be. Late last week it looked like it was going to be 90 or 91 points minimum, but a couple positive OOT results, makes 89 a reasonable option to make the playoffs (provided they win the games against the teams they are chasing).

We're still at 5%, but say Arizona loses tonight to StL, and Edmonton beats NJ. Both are very plausible with STL playing better and Arizona on a back to back for the first game and New Jersey is injured and will also be on a back to back. Then if Edmonton beats Arizona, I suspect the odds jump up remarkably.

The numbers can swing wildly now that they are within 5. Lose both the next two games, Edmonton is likely eliminated. Win both, they are likely at greater than 20% odds. Heck if everything lined up, they could be 1 point out by the time we are drinking green beer on Sunday.

Reactions: McDrai and 9GWG9

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
If the Oil win tomorrow and Arz and Minny both lose their next games, Saturday vs Arz will be of incredible importance. First Saturday game in a while that will really, truly mean something!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If we beat the Devils it's actually 3 or 4 points out depending on what happens with the Coyotes' next game. Minny has played an extra game.

A quote from one of, if not my favorite sports movie:

images

Reactions: Aerrol and ujju2

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If the Oil win tomorrow and Arz and Minny both lose their next games, Saturday vs Arz will be of incredible importance. First Saturday game in a while that will really, truly mean something!

Another fun scenario that exists. Say the Oiler and Coyote games go the way we want through Saturday, and Vegas loses to Dallas. We would the be able to get to 6 points back of Vegas with a win and still one more head to head matchup to go against them.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
The New Jersey game is also our game in hand on Colorado.. so we will be 1 point back of them with a win tomorrow night officially. Then we play Arizona and Vegas on a back to back..

The Arizona game (if they lose to st. louis tonight) if we win.. will put us tied with them with a game in hand... then it is imperative we beat Vegas the next day. This will be a defining moment in making the playoffs or not. This weekend.

Colorado plays Anaheim and New Jersey.. so they will prob win both of those games. We need to pace with them and stay 1 point behind.

As Minny plays Dallas.. NYR and NYI in the same time frame and could easily drop two of those games putting us 1 point out of the wild card spot (Colorado and Minny tied for WC) and we are tied with Arizona.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The New Jersey game is also our game in hand on Colorado.. so we will be 1 point back of them with a win tomorrow night officially. Then we play Arizona and Vegas on a back to back..

The Arizona game (if they lose to st. louis tonight) if we win.. will put us tied with them with a game in hand... then it is imperative we beat Vegas the next day. This will be a defining moment in making the playoffs or not. This weekend.

Colorado plays Anaheim and New Jersey.. so they will prob win both of those games. We need to pace with them and stay 1 point behind.

As Minny plays Dallas.. NYR and NYI in the same time frame and could easily drop two of those games putting us 1 point out of the wild card spot (Colorado and Minny tied for WC) and we are tied with Arizona.

There's a good chance the Oilers get Subban too as Vegas plays San Jose the next night. They might want Fleury for that game.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I don't see enough wins in the final games. But would love to be surprised.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
There's a good chance the Oilers get Subban too as Vegas plays San Jose the next night. They might want Fleury for that game.

That and one thing we will have going for us going into that Vegas game.. is if they just won the night before against Arizona in a huge game like that.. mentally.. I would say all the players will have bought in with that win and they will all believe that they can do this.. they can make the playoffs. They are gonna be so fired up for that Vegas game we might just take them by surprise! I'm talking like a run away game here 4-0 for the Oilers after the first period!

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As some one who has been among the most bitterly cynical this year, I gotta say that I'm enjoying that there's even a chance the team makes the playoffs at this point in the year. Hopefully we don't become the first team since Tampa in 2012-13 to miss the playoffs with two players in the top-5 for points.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not a great night with Dallas and Arizona winning. Arizona pulls into a playoff spot, Oilers have to win tomorrow to stay within 4. If Arizona beats Anaheim on Thursday, Oilers will have to win in Arizona just to keep pace with the Coyotes. Need a miracle from the Ducks.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers won't make it. Too many teams ahead play each other to not lose points. Best we can do is dream as long as the team has a chance. Better than having no chance at this time of year.

One line 2 forward team with weak defense and average goal tending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->