Do the Oilers make the Playoffs in the 2018-19 season? MOD-Please Re-Vote, Poll is Now Public!

Do they make the playoffs in 2018-19?

• Total voters

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think the Oilers make the playoffs.

Believe that Puljujarvi proves that he belongs on McDavid's RW. Looch gets better and is passable on the second line.

Upshall-Brodziak-Rattie proves to be an effective fourth line.

A reasonable third pairing can be found out of Benning/Jerabek/Gravel/Bouchard

Koskinen can play 20ish games at a reasonable level which means that Talbot can bounce back.

Remind me when you make your next prediction. I know what to do.

Reactions: harpoon

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Not a great night with Dallas and Arizona winning. Arizona pulls into a playoff spot, Oilers have to win tomorrow to stay within 4. If Arizona beats Anaheim on Thursday, Oilers will have to win in Arizona just to keep pace with the Coyotes. Need a miracle from the Ducks.

Still not bad. Oilers have a game in hand on the Coyotes and play them once. Win both of those and it is only a 2 point difference.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Oilers won't make it. Too many teams ahead play each other to not lose points. Best we can do is dream as long as the team has a chance. Better than having no chance at this time of year.

One line 2 forward team with weak defense and average goal tending.

Teams ahead of them playing each other is a good thing, as long as they don’t turn out to be 3 point games. Minni has a brutal schedule, and were on a heater- they are coming back to earth now. Colorado just lost Landeskog. Arizona worries me, but they too are riding an incredibly hot goaltender playing way outside his historical self. Hopefully he comes crashing down as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Remind me when you make your next prediction. I know what to do.

oh jebus, that is unkind. I laughed a little. Man, everything in that prediction was wrong. Its kind of funny that Upshall is on a line as well. That was a no go from the start.

While we're doing this is I figured Drai would struggle this year due to Yamamoto Kryptonite but fortunately the Oilers canned that experiment (I thought they were going to be much more obstinant about it. I hated Upshall being here, every thought of it. Said he wouldn't even make the club.

I was pretty down on Koskinen. I too figured Talbot would rebound.

I expected Lucic to be crap, was still on holding pattern with Pulju, didn't like Jerabek and knew the Oilers would send Bouchard down.

I did think Nurse was going to have another great year.

looks like I picked no playoffs. I'm sticking to that.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Arizona winning last night is disappointing for sure.. looks like we are going to have to do this all ourselves and its not gonna be easy. Arizona most likely will not be losing to Anaheim guys.. anything can happen but im going to predict the W there. Lets focus on Chicago tonight.. they are playing Toronto and have a good chance of losing... we just need to do our thing and win against NJ.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
no way do the Oilers make the Playoffs...they were out of it since December/November....anyone who thinks otherwise is wishful thinking....the only thing this prevents is a good draft position in 2019

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Well... last nights loss to NJ pretty much sealed the deal in my mind. I'll be watching still... but honestly its prob time to think about tanking for a higher draft pick and then drafting ourselves a winger for the top six. Was fun but I think with our schedule.. if we are going to drop games to the New Jerseys of the world then I just cant see us having what it takes to make the playoffs this year.. we would have to prob go like 11 - 1 - 0... there is still a faint chance guys but last night really deflated my hopes. Maybe after the weekend if they win both those games ill re-look at things.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Here is a VISUAL of our playoff chances: (We need 2 of the 5 teams to have equivalent or worse records to end the year to make playoffs...)

I will update this post daily until the Oilers are reasonably eliminated from the playoffs.

PLAYOFF TRACKING FINAL 12 GAMES:

CURRENT RECORDS:

Edmonton 0-0-0

Dallas 0-0-0
Arizona 0-0-0
Minnesota 0-0-0
Colorado 0-0-0
Chicago 0-0-0

If the Oilers go 9-2-1 to finish the season;

We would need the teams ahead of us to have the following records at maximum for points:

Dallas 5-7-1
Arizona 6-5-1
Minnesota 7-5-0
Colorado 8-4-0
Chicago 8-4-1

If the Oilers go 10-1-1 to finish the season;

We would need the teams ahead of us to have the following records at maximum for points:

Dallas 6-6-1
Arizona 7-4-1
Minnesota 8-4-0
Colorado 9-3-0
Chicago 9-3-1

If the Oilers go 11-0-1 to finish the season;

Dallas 7-5-1
Arizona 8-3-1
Minnesota 9-3-0
Colorado 10-2-0
Chicago 10-2-1

If the Oilers go 12-0-0 to finish the season;

Dallas 8-5-0
Arizona 9-3-0
Minnesota 9-2-1
Colorado 10-1-1
Chicago 11-2-0

EDIT: I made this its own thread but If that doesn't work out ill just update here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quality McOil

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Here is a VISUAL of our playoff chances: (We need 2 of the 5 teams to have equivalent or worse records to end the year to make playoffs...)

It's really this simple --->

If the Oilers go 9-2-1 to finish the season;

Dallas 5-7-1
Arizona 6-5-1
Minnesota 7-5-0
Colorado 8-4-0
Chicago 8-4-1

If the Oilers go 10-1-1 to finish the season;

Dallas 6-6-1
Arizona 7-4-1
Minnesota 8-4-0
Colorado 9-3-0
Chicago 9-3-1

If the Oilers go 11-0-1 to finish the season;

Dallas 7-5-1
Arizona 8-3-1
Minnesota 9-3-0
Colorado 10-2-0
Chicago 10-2-1

If the Oilers go 12-0-0 to finish the season;

Dallas 8-5-0
Arizona 9-3-0
Minnesota 9-2-1
Colorado 10-1-1
Chicago 11-2-0

Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to lay it all out like this. I would expect the Oilers to lose at the very least to San Jose and and once to Vegas though given recent history and given the Oilers don't have the horses to hang with those teams. So Scenarios 3 and 4 aren't really realistic IMO, and a more realistic Scenario 2 would have the Oilers record as 10-2-0 or 9-1-2.

Regardless though, the likelihood of them making the playoffs is low, and even lower after last night. Even if they make the playoffs the best case scenario is they face the Flames in the first round and beat them (which would be awesome) and then likely lose in the second round to Vegas or San Jose because the Oilers don't match up well against those teams. Making the playoffs won't fix the weaknesses on the roster that limit this team from developing into a contender. Best way to address that is building through the draft, so my brain says, "Losing for a better draft pick is still sadly, years into this rebuild, better long term (assuming they can pick correctly)," while my heart says, "But if they can just win this next game, maybe..." Really it's like the problem gambler's mentality.

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to lay it all out like this. I would expect the Oilers to lose at the very least to San Jose and and once to Vegas though given recent history and given the Oilers don't have the horses to hang with those teams. So Scenarios 3 and 4 aren't really realistic IMO, and a more realistic Scenario 2 would have the Oilers record as 10-2-0 or 9-1-2.

Regardless though, the likelihood of them making the playoffs is low, and even lower after last night. Even if they make the playoffs the best case scenario is they face the Flames in the first round and beat them (which would be awesome) and then likely lose in the second round to Vegas or San Jose because the Oilers don't match up well against those teams. Making the playoffs won't fix the weaknesses on the roster that limit this team from developing into a contender. Best way to address that is building through the draft, so my brain says, "Losing for a better draft pick is still sadly, years into this rebuild, better long term (assuming they can pick correctly)," while my heart says, "But if they can just win this next game, maybe..." Really it's like the problem gambler's mentality.

Yeah definitely I should add those... :thumbu::thumbu:

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Oilers are probably going to go in the area of 6 - 6 the rest of the year. Not gonna make to the post season. Gonna miss by 6-8 points.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
SinfulReasonableHyracotherium-small.gif

I'll be happy if we win a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad