Do the Oilers make the Playoffs in the 2018-19 season? MOD-Please Re-Vote, Poll is Now Public!

Do they make the playoffs in 2018-19?

• Total voters

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I would imagine the Oilers have to go something like 13-3 to make it. Maybe you could sprinkle an OT loss in there and go 12-3-1.

It's going to be insanely hard. And if I'm looking at the schedule right, it seems like they only play teams they are chasing 3 times. That is not good.

It's a long shot, but it's possible. I'd put them at a 30 to 1 dog to make it. I ain't betting on that. However, with it being a long shot, could take a lot of stress off the team and they could find themselves winning 7 or 8 of their next 10 and being right in the thick of things.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oilers were 7 points back prior to Sekera coming back...they've gone 5-1-2 since his return and are still 7 points back

not in the cards this year

it is , however, nice to be playing "meaningful" games in March

Reactions: BertMcDrai

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Oilers were 7 points back prior to Sekera coming back...they've gone 5-1-2 since his return and are still 7 points back

I guess I feel that is a little misleading. You are correct in that they have not moved any closer to the last wild card spot but that is just because minnesota has had a similar run. They have jumped vancouver and Chicago as well as making up ground on the first wild card spot. If you look at the two spots being available for edmonton arizona Colorado dallas and minnesota they have made up ground on 3 of those 4 teams. It's still a long shot and was 2 weeks ago but they have made a dent and if they continue to have similar results they could be in the conversation the last week. I'm not putting money on it but at least it's something.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

They have a game in hand.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I think the Oilers could pull off the 13-3 record. Their schedule is weak and the team is playing reasonably well.

The issue is that there are other teams ahead of them and it just takes one of them being reasonably hot as well to prevent the Oilers from getting in. Do any of the following seem about to collapse? Looks like Minnesota has the toughest schedule.

Dallas - 6 games against playoff teams; 10 against non-playoff teams
Colorado - 8 games against playoff teams; 7 against non-playoff teams (including 2 against Dallas, one each against Edm and Ari)
Minnesota - 11 games against playoff teams; 4 against non-playoff teams
Arizona - 7 games against playoff teams; 9 against non-playoff teams
Edmonton - 7 games against playoff teams; 9 against non-playoff team (one each against Dallas, Colorado and Arizona)

If the Oilers can win 4 of their next 5 - including beating Arizona in regulation, the end of the season is going to be extremely interesting.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I gotta say, I've stopped looking at the league standings so much and now are just obsessing over the wildcard standings. As much as I want a good draft pick this year, I want to make the playoff more. That said, getting neither would suck...

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It really comes down to this home stand. Have to win all three against the weaker teams. If they lose two they're done. Win all 4 and they might be 2-3 back when they go out on the road.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I admire the optimism of some of you, but the playoff hope for the Oilers ended about five weeks ago.

At this point, the only thing left to enjoy is seeing if McDavid can hit a career-high in points, and seeing how many goals Draisaitl gets.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Any chance we catch Vegas??

If they lose to flames, and we win tomorrow, 10 pts back, 2 games in hand and we play them twice.

Not to mention they have a tough schedule to finish.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Lol reaching for the stars hey? If the Oilers go 16-0 then maybe.

That is actually interesting though. It'd be huge if we beat them both times. Let's say we beat them both times, there'll be a six point difference with two games in hand. Unlikely, but still possible.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers aren't making the playoffs, it's been over for a while. It's nice that they are playing better but they're too far behind, too many teams to climb and stay ahead of, not enough games left and they, quite simply, aren't good enough.

As nice as it would be to see them close the season strong, my one worry (which is increasing with every win) is that a strong finish will give Nicholson the false impression that this team doesn't need much change and we'll wind up seeing minimal roster change and perhaps even worse, see this management group kept intact. I'm rooting for wins but I can't shake this feeling that some late season wins will result in minimal change.

Reactions: MikeYEG

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Normally I am an optimistic guy and will always be one...but I cannot see it happen...I believe that we can go for a run but I cannot see that all the other teams surrounding us will lose and no one is going on a small run.

I am looking for some Drai Goals and McDavid points and some sweet hits/fights from all the Kassians and Lucics going forward.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Any chance we catch Vegas??

If they lose to flames, and we win tomorrow, 10 pts back, 2 games in hand and we play them twice.

Not to mention they have a tough schedule to finish.

Haha.. nice.. had me checking in on this. We are now 14 points back with 2 games in hand and play them twice... which is an 8 point swing. So in best case scenario we are only 6 points back of Vegas.. which IMO is worth noting considering we are currently 7 points out of a wild card with a game in hand (5 points)

Tonight is a very important game against Vancouver. We can pretty much bury their playoff hopes tonight.. and unfortunately they can do the same to us.

Colorado plays Dallas tonight... so we need Dallas to win that one.
Minny is playing Tampa.. so we just need tampa to take that one.
and Arizona is playing Calgary... so we just gotta hope Calgary does us a favor tonight!

Everyone ahead of us (except for Dallas) and threatening us (Vancouver) can take L's tonight while the Oilers secure the W and end up 5 points out of the wild card with a game in hand.

HUGE NIGHT TONIGHT!

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Haha.. nice.. had me checking in on this. We are now 14 points back with 2 games in hand and play them twice... which is an 8 point swing. So in best case scenario we are only 6 points back of Vegas.. which IMO is worth noting considering we are currently 7 points out of a wild card with a game in hand (5 points)

Tonight is a very important game against Vancouver. We can pretty much bury their playoff hopes tonight.. and unfortunately they can do the same to us.

Colorado plays Dallas tonight... so we need Dallas to win that one.
Minny is playing Tampa.. so we just need tampa to take that one.
and Arizona is playing Calgary... so we just gotta hope Calgary does us a favor tonight!

Everyone ahead of us (except for Dallas) and threatening us (Vancouver) can take L's tonight while the Oilers secure the W and end up 5 points out of the wild card with a game in hand.

HUGE NIGHT TONIGHT!
The Avs/Stars game would be fine either way.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
The Avs/Stars game would be fine either way.

I think our best case scenario is let Dallas take the W as we only need one wild card spot we don't even have to target Dallas.. We do however have to take Colorado.

Good chance Minny loses tonight... not sure why you would want Colorado to have 2 more points?

One thing though when looking at the goal differentials... it tells me Colorado should prob in the playoffs... so there will only be one team with a negative goal diff that will make it... using that theory.. I could cheer for a Colorado win here

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
No expectations by now. Just having fun appreciating the honest effort and look forward to the future (if the OBC disappears).

Pretty much me, and i'm sure many oiler fans are in this boat. It's nice to see them actually work hard for once. The biggest thing that can come out of this season is the OBC getting fired, and maybe humiliated publicly, I wouldn't feel bad.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I voted yes??

giphy.gif

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Lol reaching for the stars hey? If the Oilers go 16-0 then maybe.

Haha no kidding, I get we’ve played better lately but come on, our wins have been against weaker teams, I think we miss by about 5 points. Also don’t think I’d want to get in and face Calgary, they would stomp us with ease, and that’s to long of a summer hearing that

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Haha no kidding, I get we’ve played better lately but come on, our wins have been against weaker teams, I think we miss by about 5 points. Also don’t think I’d want to get in and face Calgary, they would stomp us with ease, and that’s to long of a summer hearing that

Yeah I'd rather miss by a mile than lose to Calgary.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yeah not happening lol
Most likely not next year either

Even if we get into the playoffs we'll be nothing more than a first round stepping stone for an actually good team and get swept under the rug.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
so both wild card teams won last night... that sucks.. I didn't even consider that a possibility I was so sure that minny was an auto loss to tampa bay.. lol.. damn

Now I agree with other poster and wish Dallas lost.. :help:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah that was a terrible night. Need Minny to lose against Florida, but I don't think that's very likely. Oilers now have to win the next 4 to stay in it. If Minny had lost last night I think they could have afforded the likely loss to Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad