Do the Canucks need a shakeup?

ZZZZZZZ

Jan 25, 2007
Paradise!
Reading all these posts makes me wonder what games you were watching cause ,you must have had rose colored glasses on.

Our D-men are the most porous DM in the league.........when's the last time anyone saw any of them go down to block a shot.

They sure don't help the goalie.

The only positive lately was that Bieksa wasn't playing cause he's been brutal all year.

This team will float into the playoffs and get creamed in the 1st round again.

My hope is that they totally implode so that they don't make it in the playoffs and they finally get rid of AV.............his style is getting old and tired.

rant.gif

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Reading all these posts makes me wonder what games you were watching cause ,you must have had rose colored glasses on.

Our D-men are the most porous DM in the league.........when's the last time anyone saw any of them go down to block a shot.

They sure don't help the goalie.

The only positive lately was that Bieksa wasn't playing cause he's been brutal all year.

This team will float into the playoffs and get creamed in the 1st round again.

My hope is that they totally implode so that they don't make it in the playoffs and they finally get rid of AV.............his style is getting old and tired.

rant.gif

Canucks will be fine.

I was actually surprised they were winning so much near the beginning of the season as normally they take 20-30 games to get going.

Based on previous years the Canucks should be hitting near full stride in a shortened 48 game season right as the playoffs hit.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Canucks will be fine.

I was actually surprised they were winning so much near the beginning of the season as normally they take 20-30 games to get going.

Based on previous years the Canucks should be hitting near full stride in a shortened 48 game season right as the playoffs hit.

Canucks will be fine, how? Fine enough to make the playoffs and get exposed? They sue aren't going on a deep playoff run the way they're playing. We have a good team, that's evident, but we're playing terrible for whatever reason. Looking at the standings doesn't do this team justice in our play, we've been worse then the show.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks will be fine, how? Fine enough to make the playoffs and get exposed? They sue aren't going on a deep playoff run the way they're playing. We have a good team, that's evident, but we're playing terrible for whatever reason. Looking at the standings doesn't do this team justice in our play, we've been worse then the show.

2010/2011 games 15-25:

2-0 Loss to Montreal
6-2 Win over Ottawa
5-3 Win over Toronto
4-3 OTL to Buffalo
3-1 Loss to Penguins
7-1 Loss to Chicago
3-2 Loss to Phoenix
4-2 Win over Colorado
6-1 Win over San Jose
7-2 Win over Calgary

2011/2012, games 15-25

3-2 Loss to St Louis
6-2 Win over Chicago
3-2 Win over LA
4-3 Loss to Anaheim
4-1 Win over NYI
5-1 Loss to Chicago
2-1 Win over Ottawa
3-0 Win over Colorado
5-0 Win over Phoenix
3-2 Win over San Jose
(This string started a bit earlier with a 5-1 loss to Minnesota)

You get the idea. The Canucks generally have pretty mediocre starts every year. In 2011 it was actually worse than last year and this year and they went to the cup final.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
2010/2011 games 15-25:

2-0 Loss to Montreal
6-2 Win over Ottawa
5-3 Win over Toronto
4-3 OTL to Buffalo
3-1 Loss to Penguins
7-1 Loss to Chicago
3-2 Loss to Phoenix
4-2 Win over Colorado
6-1 Win over San Jose
7-2 Win over Calgary

2011/2012, games 15-25

3-2 Loss to St Louis
6-2 Win over Chicago
3-2 Win over LA
4-3 Loss to Anaheim
4-1 Win over NYI
5-1 Loss to Chicago
2-1 Win over Ottawa
3-0 Win over Colorado
5-0 Win over Phoenix
3-2 Win over San Jose
(This string started a bit earlier with a 5-1 loss to Minnesota)

You get the idea. The Canucks generally have pretty mediocre starts every year. In 2011 it was actually worse than last year and this year and they went to the cup final.

I understand your reasoning, I believed we always started slow too, until I remembered we've played this way since Boston last year. Pretty sad, to me anyways, that the Canucks didn't even have a good response to the beating they took in Detroit.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Point was that the trend for this team is always poor play early in a season.

10-5-4 (record this year after 19 games)

9-7-3 (2010/11 record after 19 games)

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I understand your reasoning, I believed we always started slow too, until I remembered we've played this way since Boston last year. Pretty sad, to me anyways, that the Canucks didn't even have a good response to the beating they took in Detroit.

Same with the 2010/11 year against the Hawks where the Nucks got destroyed 7-1 right around the same time, then lost the next game to Phoenix in a similar manner. After that they won 14 of their next 16. *shrug*

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Point was that the trend for this team is always poor play early in a season.

10-5-4 (record this year after 19 games)

9-7-3 (2010/11 record after 19 games)

Same with the 2010/11 year against the Hawks where the Nucks got destroyed 7-1 right around the same time, then lost the next game to Phoenix in a similar manner. After that they won 14 of their next 16. *shrug*

I agree the Canucks start slow each season, the records in the first ~20 games shows it clearly. However, as I mentioned, the Canucks have played uninspired hockey since the win in Boston dating back to last year that saw us get steamrolled by LA. In fairness, LA steamrolled everyone, but we're suppose to be much better, and leading up to those playoffs, I'd be lying to you if I said I was confident.

I feel the same way so far this year - not very confident. We have the pieces and tools for another Cup run, but the system, effort, you name it, is so far off. Things can change, and I sure hope they do, but as it stands right now it's hard to have confidence.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Actually (for interest) ... let's look at the trend of the Canucks around games 48-71 (assuming average length to win a cup is 23 games or so in the playoffs)...

Games 48-71 last season, Nucks Record: 14-6-3
Games 48-71 10/11: 13-6-4

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I agree the Canucks start slow each season, the records in the first ~20 games shows it clearly. However, as I mentioned, the Canucks have played uninspired hockey since the win in Boston dating back to last year that saw us get steamrolled by LA. In fairness, LA steamrolled everyone, but we're suppose to be much better, and leading up to those playoffs, I'd be lying to you if I said I was confident.

I feel the same way so far this year - not very confident. We have the pieces and tools for another Cup run, but the system, effort, you name it, is so far off. Things can change, and I sure hope they do, but as it stands right now it's hard to have confidence.

Well last year my lack of confidence stemmed more from getting through the first round with an injury to Daniel.

LA was not a typical 8th seed.

Not that I disagree the Canucks need another scoring winger, i've been harping on that for some time.

I just don't think the season is ruined at game 19 when they still lead the division.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well last year my lack of confidence stemmed more from getting through the first round with an injury to Daniel.

LA was not a typical 8th seed.

Not that I disagree the Canucks need another scoring winger, i've been harping on that for some time.

I just don't think the season is ruined at game 19 when they still lead the division.

Is there ever an easy 8th seed anymore? Don't think so, far too much parity right now in the NHL. I don't think the season is ruined at game 19 either, it's the fact that they've played bad since the Boston game, and things don't seem to be getting better anytime soon. I hate to be so repetitive of reference to the Boston game, but it's been a year of playing like this. I'm just not buying the bad start to the season anymore, for this season anyways because of how we played in the second half of last years season, and so far this year.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
What's the last time there was a "typical 8th seed"? Every single year the fans say this.

Ottawa last year was a fairly typical 8th seed.

Chicago 2 years ago was a typical 8th seed (at the time).

Montreal and Colorado in 2010...

Montreal and Anaheim in 2009...

Boston and Nashville in 2008....

Rarely do you see a team full of depth and all-stars sitting in 8th at the end of a season.

Even in Colorado's 'bad' year with Kariya and Selanne on their 3rd line they finished in 4th in the West... (8th place spots that season were Nashville and NYI)

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I know a lot of people are saying we need a 2nd line player for Kesler, but that is just not going to happen this season. I think the defense needs to (and can) play better. Looking back at the LA series, yes, the team was pressed for secondary scoring, but the amount of quality chances and great saves Luongo/Schneider had to make was just awful to watch. We couldn't contain them at all. I guess this is on everyone, not just the D.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Is there ever an easy 8th seed anymore? Don't think so, far too much parity right now in the NHL. I don't think the season is ruined at game 19 either, it's the fact that they've played bad since the Boston game, and things don't seem to be getting better anytime soon. I hate to be so repetitive of reference to the Boston game, but it's been a year of playing like this. I'm just not buying the bad start to the season anymore, for this season anyways because of how we played in the second half of last years season, and so far this year.

Well since what LA did last year has never been done before I'd certainly say there wasn't an 8th seed anywhere near as good as them until last year...

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I can't elaborate right now but I spent some time on this in the AV thread. Canucks (generally) only allow the forwards to cycle down low rather than using the full zone which is something that guys like Raymond and Schroeder would be good at with their speed. The breakouts we use are also not conducive to creating offense off the rush.

The Canucks have very offensive dmen and they are often used very well. It's one of the reasons for their success over the years. I do agree that the Sedins have really left their imprint on the team in terms of cycling down low. Often, instead of trying deke by the dman, the Canucks will chip behind the net and try to cause the turnover. It's a Moneypuck play. More likely to get the puck deep and get possession than creating a fast break turnover.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I know a lot of people are saying we need a 2nd line player for Kesler, but that is just not going to happen this season. I think the defense needs to (and can) play better. Looking back at the LA series, yes, the team was pressed for secondary scoring, but the amount of quality chances and great saves Luongo/Schneider had to make was just awful to watch. We couldn't contain them at all. I guess this is on everyone, not just the D.

Canucks still need a second line winger if the defense plays good or bad, regardless.

Well since what LA did last year has never been done before I'd certainly say there wasn't an 8th seed anywhere near as good as them until last year...

Fair enough.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
What's the last time there was a "typical 8th seed"? Every single year the fans say this.

When was the last time a team played an 8th seed that was the Cup winner the year before (Hawks) and then played an 8th seed that went on to win the Cup (Kings)?

I don't know what my point is but it's a weird little blip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad