Do the Canucks need a shakeup?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
they're 6-2-2 in their last 10 games/february and just finished a tough road trip where they went 2-1-1, so no

elephant in the room is still luongo and the canucks could make a pretty good run with any assets acquired in a trade

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Shakeup? No. Upgrades? Yes. I still really want a legitimate top six winger. Don't think a big shakeup is necessary. Plus right now the Canucks just leave you wanting more, and just need a better overall effort before a shakeup.

Lundface*

This team lacks firepower upfront. We have good forwards but if we want a better chance to win this team needs another horse upfront. Outside of the Sedins I have little confidence in seeing even semi-consistent offence from anyone else

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Everytime we have a blowout loss (which happens maybe 1-2 times a season), stupid things like this poll get started.

Team is fine. Would be nice to get another RD RHS but they're pretty hard to find.

This. There was a time I considered the Canucks section on HFboards less reactionary than CDC...

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Well I kind of say yes and no. If this team cannot pick it up near the deadline then they have to make some moves. I would go for Vishnovsky and a strong game changing 2nd line winger.

Crows*

With this forward group, our offense will most likely dry up Agsin In the playoffs and wel have to win 2-1.

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
the team needs to trade a goalie and move forward. maybe that brings in a new regular to the roster this season and/or ships one out or maybe not but it needs to happen regardless. you have to see how the team looks once that happens to set up for the offseason and next year.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
II think we need someone else besides Kassian with some size, toughness and a bit of skill (Clowe type). I know those are hard to come by but it would benefit the team and develop Kassian, we put a lot on the shoulders of a 21 year old.

We badly need another right side dman, badly. I thought our pairings looks a lot better when Edler was back on his left side but once again back on the right side he looked average. Our offense requires our D to get the puck out and deliver on the fly.

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
No shakeups,we just need Booth and Kes at their full strenght and potential.That's the key for us.If that second line comes alive,we are a team to beat.D will be better as the time passes.Garrison is already playing better,our 3rd pairing looks good.With our great goalies and awesome depth - things look pretty good.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
We haven't even seen every look the Canucks can put on the ice. Vandermeer on the fourth line with Kassian on the top line, for example.

Shake-ups can go both ways. Malhotra's departure was a shake-up for the team. It upset the team. A major shake-up like a Luongo trade would have the possibility to wreck the team's make-up. Given that, small additions can be made seamlessly. If Vandermeer cannot function on our defense, then this should be known and another defenceman brought in. People would be upset, but it would be a hockey decision and understandable.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Things are gonna change in a big way anyway.

Luongo, Higgins, Raymond, Ballard and Alberts are almost definitely gone before the first of next season.

If AV does not go far in the playoffs this year, he is gone.

Booth could well be gone one way or another in favor of an upgrade.

For better or worse, the team will probably look much different at the first of next year. I think the degree it doesn't has to do directly with the successes or lack there of of the present core. AV has a good record this year, and has a good track record. He should not be gone unless he yet again fails to make it far into the playoffs with this group. Everything else is secondary to me at this point this whole regular season could be an exercise in team preparation and working out the kinks for the playoffs for all I care.

I highly doubt we lose both Higgins and Raymond. Frankly, it would be a mistake. Free agency this coming off season is abysmal outside Getzlaf and Perry. And neither is likely to sign here. We are not going to see some major overall. The goalie trade is the only thing that will have a definite impact.

As for a shake up, no. Unless AV learns to adapt or is replaced, no amount of trades is going to fix our predictable style.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Forwards and Goaltending both look fine. Defense is suspect, there is still time to evaluate but I think a Ballard+ deal for a right defenseman may be necessary. As happy as I have been with him this season we aren't going to move any of our other left D. If you can find a deal around Ballard and one of our "extra" scoring wingers such as Raymond, Higgins, Booth or even Hansen, I think you need to jump on it.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I think it's a bit premature to say they need a shake up. A wake up, maybe; but that hopefully has happened in the Detroit game.

This group has also been a bit manic in terms of what they bring to the ice from one game to another. But don't forget, it's also pretty much the same team that took us to game 7 of the finals.

We'll see. My opinion may change after this year depending on how the rest the season goes. I'm willing to be patient for now though and see what happens.

maxell91

B.O.B.
Feb 22, 2012
Delta, BC
I think the canucks definitely need to add a legit goal scorer. Higgins and Hansen are great grinders, but they shouldn't be top six forwards on a contending team. I'm sure most of us would be willing to part with ballard, booth and a goalie. Besides the obvious players I've mention I'm curious as to what fans would be willing to trade for an "impact player". Our first round pick? It's going to be a late pick because it's almost guaranteed the canucks will be third in the west. Tanev? He's an RFA at the end of the season and he might not fit into next year's cap. Jensen? Probably get a good return, he's the 'nucks only true blue chip prospect.

Outside99*

YES. A lot of teams need to do a major rebuild, they'll be starting soon. in other words, timing of a trade should be when the assets you need are available, you can call it a shake up if you want. Besides, with the cap going down, Canucks have contracts they need to move which might be parlayed into an asset the team needs (albeit with a longer term deal.). If GMMG waits until summer...

In terms of needs, RHD depth is a must. Next would be a playmaker for Kesler, and an experienced center to play with Hansen and Kassian (move one to off-side). I think Kassian has a lot of upside as a playmaker and finisher, just need a defensively responsible center who can forecheck and win puck battles. That's why ROR is so appealing.

- The most valuable assets are the 1st round pick, Jensen, Gaunce and Lack. Not much to work with. Corrado is RHD so he should be untouchable.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I don't think so. Each position has seen some good to great success and some times of struggle so far this year. The team that wins the cup is the team that gets all positions rolling during the playoffs, and this addition of the Canucks has a chance to be that team imo.

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
Would every team like to improve their roster? Yes. And there lies the problem. Only so much talent to go around.

Welcome to the salary cap era. Canucks have weaknesses. But so does every team. The difference is that the Canucks' weaknesses are easier to overcome than most other teams' weaknesses.

The Canucks will be fine. When they start stringing together wins again the sky is falling attitude can finally end! Sometimes I wish the fickle fans weren't so vocal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad