Do the Canucks need a shakeup?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I would say not at this stage.

They haven't been playing their best hockey, but it's still early. A few guys are definitely rounding into form, and a few guys are just returning from fairly serious injuries. Give the team some time as a unit to see what areas need addressing.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Roster-wise? Ehh, maybe, but we cant move any of our main guys since they all have NTCs.

I think we could use a hard-ass head coach, a really vocal guy to wake our team up. Henrik isn't exactly the most vocal leader, so we could use a guy who motivates through words, maybe?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I think the time for a "shake up" is in the offseason after we see how the players and coaching staff shape up over the course of the season - if they leave a lot to be desired then at the end of the season you have the offseason in front of you and can remake the roster or staff as you please.

Right now I don't think the team is playing badly enough that a desperation move like firing the coach midseason (I don't exactly want to see our AHL head coach replacing AV even on an interim basis).

As for a shakeup on the roster, what does that entail? Trading a player that was thought to be part of the core group? I don't see that working out too well over the short term but by all means, if Mike Gillis can improve the team without opening up a huge hole mid-season then he should go for it.

If the team falls flat in the first round again I would look to change the coaching staff and maybe cut a player or two (beyond the outgoing UFAs) loose.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Is this partially a reaction to the game last night? Because I feel like that's just a game you have to laugh off. Everything that could possibly go wrong that game went wrong - We had crazy bad bounces against us, the refs seemed to be on the other team's side with some outrageous calls, the Wongs brought their absolute best game against us and the Wings got a lot of lucky bounces.

No shake-up. Unless we can get another first-line forward - then do it.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Is this partially a reaction to the game last night? Because I feel like that's just a game you have to laugh off. Everything that could possibly go wrong that game went wrong - We had crazy bad bounces against us, the refs seemed to be on the other team's side with some outrageous calls, the Wongs brought their absolute best game against us and the Wings got a lot of lucky bounces.

No shake-up. Unless we can get another first-line forward - then do it.

It is not. :). I'm not advocating for either, I didn't vote, I just want to see the general consensus.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
If this team is what they think they are, that Detroit game was the only shakeup they'll need.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Things are gonna change in a big way anyway.

Luongo, Higgins, Raymond, Ballard and Alberts are almost definitely gone before the first of next season.

If AV does not go far in the playoffs this year, he is gone.

Booth could well be gone one way or another in favor of an upgrade.

For better or worse, the team will probably look much different at the first of next year. I think the degree it doesn't has to do directly with the successes or lack there of of the present core. AV has a good record this year, and has a good track record. He should not be gone unless he yet again fails to make it far into the playoffs with this group. Everything else is secondary to me at this point this whole regular season could be an exercise in team preparation and working out the kinks for the playoffs for all I care.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I agree.

We have the capspace to do it. I guess this is when Gillis decides if he will take a gamble or not to improve the team.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If any roster change/upgrade is a shakeup, then like every other team in the league, they can use one. Otherwise, no.
Things are gonna change in a big way anyway.

Luongo, Higgins, Raymond, Ballard and Alberts are almost definitely gone before the first of next season.

If AV does not go far in the playoffs this year, he is gone.

Booth could well be gone one way or another in favor of an upgrade.

For better or worse, the team will probably look much different at the first of next year. I think the degree it doesn't has to do directly with the successes or lack there of of the present core. AV has a good record this year, and has a good track record. He should not be gone unless he yet again fails to make it far into the playoffs with this group. Everything else is secondary to me at this point this whole regular season could be an exercise in team preparation and working out the kinks for the playoffs for all I care.
Losing both Higgins and Raymond would be pretty dumb, IMO.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't see where both fit with the team long term.

Raymond needs to be a capable 2nd line player, and I don't think he is. Higgins is a nice bit of wealth to have in a depth player but he is not a good 2nd line player either and is going to at least going to want to be paid like a good 3rd liner eventually.

Just IMO!

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I would say not at this stage.

They haven't been playing their best hockey, but it's still early. A few guys are definitely rounding into form, and a few guys are just returning from fairly serious injuries. Give the team some time as a unit to see what areas need addressing.

It may feel early but we're almost at the halfway point in the season. I agree with the rest of it though.

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I would look to move Raymond and Ballard for Ryder and Robidas. Ryder is a top 9 forward with really good goal scoring abilities and and great shot, somewhat weak defensively but a really good goal scorer.

Robidas brings a steady veteran to the defensive corps along with a RH shot to balance out the dmen.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Robidas

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Ryder
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Lappy-Kassian

or lets shake up the lineup a little:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lappy-Weise

though I still think at least one upgrade is needed on the d side

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Everytime we have a blowout loss (which happens maybe 1-2 times a season), stupid things like this poll get started.

Team is fine. Would be nice to get another RD RHS but they're pretty hard to find.

Steve Bennett*

We need another top 6 forward. I don't think Booth or Higgins are going to cut it come playoff time. Kassian, is not ready yet imo

I couldnt agree more with this post. As much as I don't mind Booth, he's just never really impressed me enough to be a 2nd liner. Come deadline day I really hope the Canucks trade for a solid top 6, even if it is just a rental. I missed the last few games so I cannot comment on how the team has looked recently but I thought the d has looked pretty good and the only thing I would do with it is more depth (mind you we do have Alberts, Barker and Vanderhoof waiting in the wings)...

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I would say yes. I love the team, and all of our players, but things are feeling a bit stale. I would definitely be in support of making a trade that helps our forward core in the top 6.

Also most cup winning teams (or contenders) tend to have a little turn over in their roster from year to year and we seem to be pretty locked in. I get that Gillis wants to be loyal to this core, but I'd like to see some trades to shake things up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad