Prospect Info: Dmitry Zavgorodniy: 2018 7th round, 198th overall

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ok, so this guy has 17 pts in 9 games. Now even for a D+2 player that is pretty impressive, but is he a total product of Lafreniere or actually creating on his own as well?

Edit: Crap, posted in the Flames thread. Wanted to ask on the mainboards.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Zav produced pretty well before Lafreniere. It's definitely escalated since playing with him, but I'd say it's like a Drai to McDavid thing where they are both talented, and they feed off eachother really well as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Zav produced pretty well before Lafreniere. It's definitely escalated since playing with him, but I'd say it's like a Drai to McDavid thing where they are both talented, and they feed off eachother really well as well.
Or a Nemisz to Hall

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Zav started hot last year too like he has this year then he fell off a complete cliff and finished the season under a PPG (after being like 1.5 for 15+ games).

He's a decent player, but he is very much a product of Laf right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay, party pooper
Just adding more of a range to the possibilities. Putting too much weight on CHL stats is pointless. He looked good from what I saw in prospects games, that is a nice start. Now, let's wait until he goes pro next season and go from there. That said, I think it is a good sign that the Flames management made a point of signing him back in March, which means it wasn't just the "bonefide offer" to retain his rights for another year (as those would be made in May). I also think it is a good sign that he was willing to sign for the minimum (plus a meager signing bonus, which I have not seen an ELC without), that means he wasn't using Russia as a bargaining chip.

I'm sure all of us have been burned multiple times by getting excited about CHL stats before.

Reactions: Kipper933

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like Dmitry Zavgorodniy grew 2 inches and put on 15 lbs since he was drafted last year. Last year at the time of the draft he was listed at 5'9" and 174 lbs.

This year, according to the QMJHL stats, he's 5'11" and 189 lbs. If its true, that's great!

Capture.JPG

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ok

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Have to wait and see. He has enough skill to bury it pretty good when Lafreniere feeds it to him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No matter how you slice it, this is significantly more chatter than a typical 7th rounder. That's actually kinda exciting.

Another of the same vein, Wolf. Again, a heck of an interesting guy in the 7th. Button sure seems to bring in some fun prospects when given quite a bit of leash to play with.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No matter how you slice it, this is significantly more chatter than a typical 7th rounder. That's actually kinda exciting.

Another of the same vein, Wolf. Again, a heck of an interesting guy in the 7th. Button sure seems to bring in some fun prospects when given quite a bit of leash to play with.

Speaking about Dustin.
4-3-0 so far in Everett.
0.940 SV%, 1.95 GAA and 2 Shutouts.

Back to Dmitry. Last year he really popped in the preseason and in the rookie games; this year he didn't really. I'm happy that he's producing again. I mention it, and have mentioned it a lot... regardless of the circumstance; it's positive when guys are producing at a high level.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I'm still baffled that Wolf fell so far, statistically speaking he was better than Spencer Knight last year. Is a few inches really the difference between a first rounder and a 7th rounder? Or did scouts see something in Wolf's game to make him fall?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'm still baffled that Wolf fell so far, statistically speaking he was better than Spencer Knight last year. Is a few inches really the difference between a first rounder and a 7th rounder? Or did scouts see something in Wolf's game to make him fall?

Probably the later, but I guess only time will prove that sentiment right or wrong.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Height bias is definitely a thing. More recent one would be DeBrincat, skill was evident but teams passed on him because of size. Same will become evident with Caufield pretty shortly I think.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Height bias is definitely a thing. More recent one would be DeBrincat, skill was evident but teams passed on him because of size. Same will become evident with Caufield pretty shortly I think.
Sure, height bias is a thing, but the guys you are pointing out were 2nd rounders rather than 1st rounder. With Wolf being a goaltender, I could see the height bias pushing him back to 3rd, maybe even as late as the 5th. But to fall all the way to the 7th? I think there had to be something else in addition to the height.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Goalies are confusing. I don't understand how they are evaluated talent wise at all. Looking at the goalies in the league right now vs the ones that failed and it's a serious crap show.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Sure, height bias is a thing, but the guys you are pointing out were 2nd rounders rather than 1st rounder. With Wolf being a goaltender, I could see the height bias pushing him back to 3rd, maybe even as late as the 5th. But to fall all the way to the 7th? I think there had to be something else in addition to the height.

Lots of goalies seem to go later in the draft for whatever reason just in general, probably because they are more of a coin flip. Could be lack of familiarity with him given he was out in the WHL. Even then though, other WHL goalies went ahead of him in the 7th. So there is probably more to the story.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He's like Ephialtes in 300. Amazing spear thrust, but deformed (height and teen werewolf) in all other regards for a goaltender. (Just jokes. Kid looks solid, just smaller and super confusing that he fell to 7th, so I'm happy we nabbed him)

Back to DMZ though... If I squint enough at the picture above, I keep thinking I see Matt Duchene.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lots of goalies seem to go later in the draft for whatever reason just in general, probably because they are more of a coin flip. Could be lack of familiarity with him given he was out in the WHL. Even then though, other WHL goalies went ahead of him in the 7th. So there is probably more to the story.
Yeah 2 WHL goalies were taken ahead of him, the one that stands out to me is Philly picking Roddy Ross, as you would think Philly would have had eyes all over Wolf when he was backing up Carter Hart the season prior and putting up great numbers as a 17 year old rookie,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad