Prospect Info: Dmitry Zavgorodniy: 2018 7th round, 198th overall

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
26 pts in 15 games, still leading the QMJHL. If he can top 100 points, its definitely gonna get him into the conversation for potential NHL upside.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If Zavgorodniy decides to return to Russia next season (he's not AHL-eligible and may be too good for Junior) he would likely play in the KHL for *drumroll*..........Bob Hartley

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Just imagine if Lil Z is the next Panarin or Kuch.

CpwoCG7.gif

I have high hopes for the kid. Draft position is meaningless. Point was a 2nd round pick and he is becoming one of the best players in the entire NHL, we all know what Kuch did last year and he is a 2nd rounder. Hornqvist is Mr. Irrelevant and he scored the Cup winning goal and has been a fantastic player, Jamie Benn a 5th rounder, Dats and Zetterberg, etc. And unlike Phillips he isn't an 11 year old out there, he is still only 5'9 (a Johnny Gaudreau " 5'9" "), but he looks way bigger than Phillips.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1 Valimaki
2 Dube
3 Andersson
4 Emilio
5 Mangiapane
6 Kylington
7 Z

My list hasn’t really changed since the WJC except I squished the two new guys in there.

I’d put him 7th. 4th if those other guys are graduates.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think you can make an arguement for either. Will be interesting to see how their seasons unfold.

Pettersen has a very small sample size. So he could fall way off. But the only guys I can think of to put up 1.5 PPG as freshmen in the NCAA were Eichel (draft year), Conner, and Boeser. It’s really special production level if he can sustain it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Pettersen has a very small sample size. So he could fall way off. But the only guys I can think of to put up 1.5 PPG as freshmen in the NCAA were Eichel (draft year), Conner, and Boeser. It’s really special production level if he can sustain it.

I didn’t disagree, if he can maintain it that would be incredibly special. I’m more familiar with Z, watching the skill he has is very impressive. He does remind me of Kucherov.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

The closest statistical comparable is probably Clayton Keller. 5'10", 1.45 PPG as a freshman in his D+1 - if 5'10" Emilio sustains his scoring it will def be a great season as he is currently at 1.44PPG. I've got Zavgorodniy ahead because he was arguably our best prospect at camp - yes I thought he outplayed Dube. Zavgorodniy seems to have that motor, jet engine speed and sniping skill that translate to the NHL.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Pettersen is doing something in the NCAA elite prospects have done in the past.

It's only been 9 games, but if he keeps this pace or even just cools off to a PPG, that is fairly remarkable for the kid.

I'd rank it:

Mangiapane
Pettersen
Lil Z

Vali and Ras aren't prospects, their both legitimate NHL d-men at this point IMO.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
As good a season as Zavgorodniy is having, Pospisil and Pettersson are putting up more impressive numbers, at least to my eye.

It will be interesting to watch all three develop going forward.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If Zavgorodniy decides to return to Russia next season (he's not AHL-eligible and may be too good for Junior) he would likely play in the KHL for *drumroll*..........Bob Hartley
Oh god. Didn't all the young players hate Hartley? Or was that just the supporting players?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Oh god. Didn't all the young players hate Hartley? Or was that just the supporting players?

It was all speculation after the Johnny/Mony/Bouma benching, but I think that was what made him a good coach.

My personal speculation:

I don't think Hartley ever truly lost the room here and it was a pretty young room.

I don't believe Byron/Gaudreau/Monahan/Brodie/Bennett/Ferland hated Hartley. He loved fast, skilled players and put them in positions to succeed. I'd probably assume Colborne, Ortio, and Nakladal were Hartley fans too as he really seemed to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

I think a few guys - Backlund in particular - had a love/hate relationship with Hartley. Hartley was quick to bench Backs when Backs was playing poorly but also saw Backlund through his emergence as a #2 NHL Center when the previous coach had Backlund on a track to the KHL. Hartley gave Backlund the direction - and the Offensive Green Light - to emerge. And I believe Backlund was the player who most thrived in Hartley's uptempo system because his style of play was responsible enough to offset the system's glaring holes that we saw with Monahan, Stajan, or Granlund at center. Bennett and Backlund were definitely two centers who were made for Bob Hartley Hockey.

I do believe some of the older vets (Gio, Stajan, Engelland) were perhaps jaded on Hartley's run n gun system and pushed for more defensive structure. Gio really hyped up Gulutzan's system when the coaching change was made, and Stajan had some charged words about how we were handling faceoffs during the Hartley era that really stood out. Engelland also pointed out during Gulutzan's time here that he felt more at home playing the body and getting support from his centers, although I bet he credits Hartley for his development, as he simply improved his skill over that time here throwing so many icings i mean stretch pass attempts.

I also believe some of the scrubs (Bollig, Raymond, Bouma) probably hated Hartley because, let's be frank, he didn't really love them and asked them to go out there and get injured.

And I believe Sven Baertschi hated Hartley, and Huska, and Burke, and probably also Gaudreau because he seemed to believe he was the second coming of Iginla being buried in the AHL.

The only thing we know as far as someone who hated Hartley was an enforcer, but that to me suggests the enforcer hated his own role. Ironically Hartley stopped playing McGrattan and Bollig by 2014/15/16 so even Hartley was getting a bit over the enforcer role himself.

The one young guy who might have thrown Hartley under the bus might have been Hamilton. Seems like a Hamilton thing to do.

Going to other stops, Hartley saw guys like Ilya Kovalchuk, Marc Savard, Marian Hossa, Alex and Tanguay emerge and really hit their prime. He was a guy who actually worked with his stars on making them complete, competitive players. If Zavgorodniy played a year for Hartley in the KHL I believe it would be an outstandingly positive influence on his development. Hartley benched Kovalchuk once, too, and that seems like forever ago because by the time Kovalchuk arrived in New Jersey he was a mature winner.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
As good a season as Zavgorodniy is having, Pospisil and Pettersson are putting up more impressive numbers, at least to my eye.

It will be interesting to watch all three develop going forward.

It's a strong statistical season for quite a few forward prospects. Filip Sveningsson is at a PPG pace in Allsvenskan, 3rd on his team behind a 33-year old and 28-year old. Milos Roman at a PPG in the WHL, 1st on his team in pts.

I look forward to seeing Ruzicka at the WJCs where he might be Slovakia's top F, potentially alongside Roman. Hopefully Ruzicka has made some improvements.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hartley's offense was fantastic. Problem was we had one of the worst defensive strategies in the NHL in try (fail) to keep them to the perimeter, and flail to block shots when that didn't work.

Feels really good to see so many of our mid to late round picks absolute blasting off out of the gate. It will be telling to see which of them can keep this pace up.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad