Confirmed with Link: DJ Smith fired, Jacques Martin in as interim, Alfie as assistant

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Very much doubt Capuano gets the gig, if they thought he was viable, he'd have been the interim coach.

I think Poulin will push for Berube, Staios will probably want to interview woodcroft. Martin will probably have some suggestions, if the pens fire Sullivan I imagine M,artin will put in a good word for him.
If Jacques Martin wants the full time job , would you give it to him as Sens management?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Is this a serious comment? I'm guessing it is :shakehead

Get TSN1200 to put up the same poll question with DJ Smith just for fun.

Who would have thought all LA needed was a token head coach and a cheer leader.

Hell f***ing yeah Jacques stays if he wants to. He is got this team dancing to his tune, which is sound, defensive hockey that is aggressive on the puck. He is also developing a future head coach, some guy named Daniel Alfredsson.

If Jacques wants, he stays!

Reactions: redbrick98

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Haha not a bad question eh !

Honestly everyone is saying 71 is old for Jacques Martin coaching ** BUT** if he's feeling up to it why not ...

We do after all have 2 candidates running for PRESIDENT at 77 and 81 ... a much harder job then being a hockey coach haha

Yeah it's up to him really. Personally I'd love to see him have another year to keep teaching the team how to play defense. If he does decide to go back to the front office hopefully they bring in another defensive minded coach.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So,

Bobby Ryan and Jason York both feel that the coach needs to be on the ice for practice (they can miss some, but not all 82)

Methot, on the other hand, says these are NHL players, and they don't need him on the ice, they have two highly qualified assistants in Alfie and Capuano who can run the practice.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
So,

Bobby Ryan and Jason York both feel that the coach needs to be on the ice for practice (they can miss some, but not all 82)

Methot, on the other hand, says these are NHL players, and they don't need him on the ice, they have two highly qualified assistants in Alfie and Capuano who can run the practice.
Honestly don't think it really matters if he's physically on the ice,

He's literally been on the bench during practice times while Alfie and Cap run the drill Jacques implements from the bench,

It's overblown by Bobby and Yorkie I think

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So,

I generally agree with Methot.

He could probably get on the ice for a handful if he thinks its worthwhile. Sens could incorporate more people for on ice as well. They need a practice plan. Alpfie , I am sure understands what Jacques wants on most specific drills. As long as the message is consistent .. I don't see why he has to be on the ice.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
So,

Method Man Methot for the win. Alfie is running the drills on behalf of his former coach, they are doing fine with this arrangement. It’s not like Jacques is not on the bench for games.

If Jacques wants to coach full time next season that is.

Last edited:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Method Man Methot for the win. Alfie is running the drills on behalf of his former coach, they are doing fine with this arrangement. It’s not like Jacques is not on the bench for games.
41 away dates. so 41 flights, busses, hotel rooms. 2 am return flights.
4 or so pre-season away games. A partial camp or extended stay in some far off location.
0-12 away playoff dates.
0-20 playoff games with the stress to match

200-300 days next to the ice, where the temperature is 5-15 degrees and a 71 to 75 year old man, with health issues... you have noticed how thick a coat the coach of the Ottawa PWHL team (MacLeod) wears?

now add, airplane food, time zone adjustment.. getting up to pee 2-3 times (trust me, that one I can attest to.. I am at 3 trips per night).

72-75 year old coach.. he will not last... See how frail he is going to look by late April.

Steve Lloyd could not find a example of a coach older than about 62 or so in the league in times past.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
41 away dates. so 41 flights, busses, hotel rooms. 2 am return flights.
4 or so pre-season away games. A partial camp or extended stay in some far off location.
0-12 away playoff dates.
0-20 playoff games with the stress to match

200-300 days next to the ice, where the temperature is 5-15 degrees and a 71 to 75 year old man, with health issues... you have noticed how thick a coat the coach of the Ottawa PWHL team (MacLeod) wears?

now add, airplane food, time zone adjustment.. getting up to pee 2-3 times (trust me, that one I can attest to.. I am at 3 trips per night).

72-75 year old coach.. he will not last... See how frail he is going to look by late April.

Steve Lloyd could not find a example of a coach older than about 62 or so in the league in times past.
Nhl travels nice, they aren’t traveling with public, no layovers at airports, direct flights from NHL city to NHL city

5 star hotels

5 star food provided by the team, food money for every NHL away trip, it's pretty nice

71 isn't old if he's up for it

Presidents in their 70s for months barnstorm 5 states in a day and deliver 120 minute speeches to get re-elected

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I generally agree with Methot.

He could probably get on the ice for a handful if he thinks its worthwhile. Sens could incorporate more people for on ice as well. They need a practice plan. Alpfie , I am sure understands what Jacques wants on most specific drills. As long as the message is consistent .. I don't see why he has to be on the ice.
Yeah, idk tbh, I can see both sides. Obviously a lot depends on the relationship between HC and his assistants,

In the end, it seems to be working, so can't complain, but I suspect Martin isn't going to want to do this long term, but what do I know.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, idk tbh, I can see both sides. Obviously a lot depends on the relationship between HC and his assistants,

In the end, it seems to be working, so can't complain, but I suspect Martin isn't going to want to do this long term, but what do I know.

That's my thought too re long term. I do think he has been a very positive influence on the team.
I would not mind seeing Redden take on a bigger role wrt to the D.
If he feels good enough to stay on for 1 more season .. I definitely support it but I don't want to see him have to give it up because its too much for him part way through. A few factors at play. I think there would be a big drop off at head coach if we brought in Gruden for that job.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So,

I think there's a little bit of a disadvantage viewing from the bench or from the stands, when you see something wrong you're slower to correct it, you might not see something from a certain angle that you would if you were standing on the blueline or the top of OZ or DZ circles. You'll get more done standing next to each other on the ice and reviewing, you're only seeing from certain angles when you're not on the ice.

That being said clearly Jacques Martin has implemented systems in a way he wants them with the help of his assistants. I think what this shows is he's pretty good at delegating tasks, explaining himself to everyone, coaching our coaches on what he wants and being a good manager/delegator is a great quality to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad