Confirmed with Link: DJ Smith fired, Jacques Martin in as interim, Alfie as assistant

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I just puked in my mouth a li'l bit.

I mean we got a new owner but I'm assuming he has a budget, things are going well, I'd imagine Jacques Martin will stick around even if not as a coach for what he's done so far. But maybe I'll be surprised.

I just assume Andlauer and Staois are coming around to that idea. Jacques Martin is worth keeping around and maybe they can get away with having Martin in the background and internally promoting Capuano for being part of the turn around.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I mean we got a new owner but I'm assuming he has a budget, things are going well, I'd imagine Jacques Martin will stick around even if not as a coach for what he's done so far. But maybe I'll be surprised.

I just assume Andlauer and Staois are coming around to that idea. Jacques Martin is worth keeping around and maybe they can get away with having Martin in the background and internally promoting Capuano for being part of the turn around.
It was specifically about Capuano. He should be jettisoned at the end of the year. Let the next coach, whoever it is, build his group from the ground up

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Screenshot 2024-02-26 184930.jpg

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It was specifically about Capuano. He should be jettisoned at the end of the year. Let the next coach, whoever it is, build his group from the ground up

That's what I mean. Martin goes back to an advisor, they promote internally.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Didn't know where to put this but to illustrate how badly our PP has been performing (with how well these guys have been producing at ES, they would be much higher in the scoring ranking if our PP wasn't useless)

Ranking among NHL forwards for ES points :

Tim Stützle 14th
Brady Tkachuk 29th
Claude Giroux 32nd
Drake Batherson 61st
Vladimir Tarasenko 61st
Mathieu Joseph 89th

5 guys in the ~Top-60, the average per team is 2

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Didn't know where to put this but to illustrate how badly our PP has been performing (with how well these guys have been producing at ES, they would be much higher in the scoring ranking if our PP wasn't useless)

Tim Stützle 14th
Brady Tkachuk 29th
Claude Giroux 32nd
Drake Batherson 61st
Vladimir Tarasenko 61st
Mathieu Joseph 89th

Get his team a goalie that can cover the entire net

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Tim Stützle 14th
Brady Tkachuk 29th
Claude Giroux 32nd
Drake Batherson 61st
Vladimir Tarasenko 61st
Mathieu Joseph 89th

Just jumping off this, PP started off ok under DJ, but has really gotten worse quick, seems like it might be starting to turn around,

PPGF/60xGF/60HDCF/60
DJ games 1-13
7.75​
9.34​
26.48​
DJ 14-26
4.94​
7.31​
22.56​
DJ total
6.41​
8.37​
24.61​
Martin 1-13
4.47​
6.29​
13.4​
Martin 14-29
5.37​
7.37​
20.14​
Martin total
4.98​
6.91​
17.25​

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
New coach is needed... Now

We need to be back on the Rick Tocchet model.

Martin is PROBABLY not the answer.

The reality is: while the team has won a few more games, many have been in "advantageous" situations. It is possible that DJ would have had a near similar record.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

The reality is: while the team has won a few more games, many have been in "advantageous" situations. It is possible that DJ would have had a near similar record.
I think their best play is to take this in to the summer at this point. Do your deadline shedding. Keep with JM to finish out the year. Pick up the pieces in the summer.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Well that visually explains my point. Not sure why we have to get so excited about a 15-5 record in last 20 games, when we are light years away from a playoff spot

History says that he would have.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I think their best play is to take this in to the summer at this point. Do your deadline shedding. Keep with JM to finish out the year. Pick up the pieces in the summer.
they will finish with between 72-82 points (barring somethings strange one way or the other).

UGGGHH, 6 out of 7 years, they have been sub 0.500.

Now a potential damaged goods, Norris. A damaged goods, Chabot. An aging Giroux. 7 M in goalies who cannot stop the puck. Hamonic with a NMC. A near empty farm system... Cap issues..

How are we moving in this direction.. From bad to worse. After coming off of, from bad to worse

----------------

History says that he would have.
OUCH.. I mean OUCH

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018

If JM and DJ would have had a near similar record, my conclusion would be that the problem is less about coaching and more one of team make-up and player skill.

However I discount the early JM losses in the evaluation of the two coaches and believe JM has gotten more out of this team than DJ did or would have. Impossible to prove.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
they will finish with between 72-82 points (barring somethings strange one way or the other).

UGGGHH, 6 out of 7 years, they have been sub 0.500.

Now a potential damaged goods, Norris. A damaged goods, Chabot. An aging Giroux. 7 M in goalies who cannot stop the puck. Hamonic with a NMC. A near empty farm system... Cap issues..

How are we moving in this direction.. From bad to worse. After coming off of, from bad to worse

OUCH.. I mean OUCH

Lets see what moves me make this off season

Norris is now a big question mark. Giroux's last year with us

Whatever moves we do make, the bottom line is that Stutzle, Tkachuk, Chabot and Sanderson needs to be 25-30% better than they have been this year or there is nothing any moves or a Coach can do for this Team

Greig and Pinto needs to take a huge jump next year, as well

Reactions: Dionysus

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
If JM and DJ would have had a near similar record, my conclusion would be that the problem is less about coaching and more one of team make-up and player skill.

However I discount the early JM losses in the evaluation of the two coaches and believe JM has gotten more out of this team than DJ did or would have. Impossible to prove.
JM has had the luxury of a relatively healthy lineup during this short tenure. This luxury appears to have ended and we will see how the team performs under these conditions.

I am so upset about Norris. He never looked right since his return. He was finding ways to be productive, but those off-side one-timers have been totally absent from his repertoire and he generally seemed weaker and more fumbly on pucks.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
JM has had the luxury of a relatively healthy lineup during this short tenure. This luxury appears to have ended and we will see how the team performs under these conditions.

I am so upset about Norris. He never looked right since his return. He was finding ways to be productive, but those off-side one-timers have been totally absent from his repertoire and he generally seemed weaker and more fumbly on pucks.
My only point responding to your initial email is that I doubt a new coach NOW makes a difference. What do you hope to accomplish with a new coach now?
I'm in the camp that major changes are needed. The list of mistakes by Dorion is huge. I think Tkachuk is a very valuable player but he is miscast as captain for now.

Were we on the Rick Tocchet model?

Unfortunate about Norris. Prior to this injury he was one of the first I'd have tried to trade, but I'm dubious there would have been any takers to get what we'd want.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I agree. We need to rebuild the coaching staff from the ground up. Jacques was always just a baby sitter.

Reactions: Relapsing

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

What is also missing from any comparison between them is how much Dorion decisions STILL hurt the team. When you have Hamonic, goalies and Chychrun gifting the opposition non-stop... not much the rest of the team can do.

Particularly not Kubalik :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad