Confirmed with Link: DJ Smith fired, Jacques Martin in as interim, Alfie as assistant

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Stutzle probably the number one guy in the league, who can stickhandle himself into the slot with ease, but has a wild, inaccurate wrist shot. If he can work out this aspect of his game, he is a 60 goals scorer. Practice, practice, practice!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sens fans booed Gonchar on opening night. We should be careful about casting stones.
That's a bit different, Gonchar was a UFA hired gun that wasn't panning out as quickly expected, Jagr was a home grown superstar. one of the all time greats who left when the team was financially unable to keep him due to Mario coming back from retirement. They booed him because god forbid, he signed with the Flyers a decade later rather than come to them to play on their 3rd line.

Not saying Sens fans were right to boo Gonchar, it was dumb, but the Pens fans booing Jagr was next level imo.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's a bit different, Gonchar was a UFA hired gun that wasn't panning out as quickly expected, Jagr was a home grown superstar. one of the all time greats who left when the team was financially unable to keep him due to Mario coming back from retirement. They booed him because god forbid, he signed with the Flyers a decade later rather than come to them to play on their 3rd line.

Not saying Sens fans were right to boo Gonchar, it was dumb, but the Pens fans booing Jagr was next level imo.
I was pretty big on the Pens at the time with that Jagr-Lemieux-Hrdina & Straka-Lang-Kovalev top 6. They were an insane offensive juggernaut. The rebuild that followed with Jagr leaving felt tumultuous at the time and Pens fans didn't seem to be happy with him for whatever reason. Landing in Washington with that terrible deal didn't help soften the blow either.

I agree though, inexcusable to boo a legend with the kind of hardware he helped win for that franchise.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Keep waiting for Brady to say something like the changes the coaching staff has brought in we are buying into and getting results . I doubt we ever get anything explicit from Brady. We have from several other players. He doesn't have to say the words just wondering if he gives any credit in that direction.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020

Keep waiting for Brady to say something like the changes the coaching staff has brought in we are buying into and getting results . I doubt we ever get anything explicit from Brady. We have from several other players. He doesn't have to say the words just wondering if he gives any credit in that direction.

he cannot. He was hot and heavy in defending DJ.. He says anything now and he is finished.

Similarly with how he defended Dorion.

The guy attacked fans.. What does he do now, say "oops sorry, my bad".. "you guys were right all along".

head down, ass up.. all he can do.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Team stats since January 13th (12 GP) :

Points% : 4th
ROWs : 3rd (only Oilers and Stars have more)
GF/GP : 1st
GA/GP : 26th
PP% : 23rd
PK% : 3rd
Shots/GP : 2nd
SA/GP : 8th

Advanced stats since January 13th (All Strengths) :

CF% : 5th
SF% : 4th
xGF% : 2nd (9th in GF%)
SV% : 30th

Updating this :

Team stats since January 13th (12 GP) :

Points% : 6th
ROWs : 5th
GF/GP : 7th
GA/GP : 20th
PP% : 24th
PK% : 7th
Shots/GP : 3rd
SA/GP : 4th

Advanced stats since January 13th (All Strengths) :

CF% : 6th
SF% : 4th
xGF% : 3rd
GF% : 13th
SV% : 31st

So we have looked for a Top-5/10 team for 17 games now, outside of PP and goaltending that are still (way) below average. Outshooting, outchancing our opponents is a good trend but yeah need to be more opportunistic and the goalies to give up less bad goals. One thing that is quite better is that we have drastically cut down on "gift wrapping goals". Outside of bad goals given up by goalies, the opponents have to work or make great plays to score their goals.

Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It was more because of Dorion and his doubling down on DJ as a head coach. That buffoon watched 4 years of atrocious hockey and thought they'd change it around in the 5th year with DJ as the coach
Dorion has most of the blame but I do blame andlauer/staios a bit too. Kept preaching stability... Like what stability good sir we were ass and the only thing our coach knew how to say was the bounces didn't go our way

It should not have reached a fan revolt for them to fire DJ to put him out of his misery it should have happened much earlier

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It was more because of Dorion and his doubling down on DJ as a head coach. That buffoon watched 4 years of atrocious hockey and thought they'd change it around in the 5th year with DJ as the coach
To be fair if Dorion had fired DJ he would have replaced him with someone similar or worse. I'm glad the hiring of the new coach fell to Staios.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
What’s the thought about Capuano as head coach? He’s a former head coach and survived the purge, he must have some leadership skills.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Well, at least we didn't see it coming.

Oh we did? The season before? Oh.

Dorion must have known he was a sitting duck GM, astonished they let him make off-season moves while ownership transfer was in the process. The lame duck GM also couldn’t fire the coach, they didn’t have the money nor the appetite. DJ was so well liked by his players that he was given a longer rope than he should’ve gotten by Andlauer/Staios, but they were also being patient by getting to know the team themselves while searching for a long term coaching solution. They should have named Jacques interim coach when he was brought in as a consultant and fired DJ immediately, but here we are.

I am a bit nervous about what type of moves Staios will make as a rookie NHL GM. We shall see.

Reactions: DrEasy and Emrasie

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion must have known he was a sitting duck GM, astonished they let him make off-season moves while ownership transfer was in the process. The lame duck GM also couldn’t fire the coach, they didn’t have the money or the appetite. DJ was so well liked by his players that he was given a longer rope than he should’ve gotten by Andlauer/Staios, but they were also being patient by getting to know the team themselves while patiently search for a long term coach. They should have named Jacques interim when he was brought in as a consultant and fired DJ immediately, but here we are.

I am a bit nervous about what type of moves Staios will make as a rookie NHL GM. We shall see.

The last year or two or so of Sens Land would make for an interesting documentary.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

You wonder if Brady hadn’t had his little temper tantrum vs the fans would they have fired DJ a month earlier and gotten their game together under Martin with time enoguh to make the playoffs - going to miss by 5-6 points which they could of made up with more runway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad