Division-centric sites for season resumption - reported to be Edmonton and Toronto

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
As others have noted, ice quality probably isn't as big of a challenge when you don't have 15,000+ people packed into an arena, plus all the entering/exiting exchanging outside air.

I wouldn't worry about ice quality in Vegas. It's a brand new rink, it will be dedicated to hockey during the playoffs (as opposed to adding/removing flooring on top for basketball, concerts etc), and the biggest factor in making good ice isn't heat but low humidity. Vegas is a dry desert, they'll be fine. I live in Phoenix and occasionally skate at the Coyotes arena. Ice has always been immaculate, like skating on glass. If you don't go out with freshly sharpened skates, you won't be able to turn.

My concern with Vegas is that they are opening up for tourism again. That's going to bring a huge influx of people, and even if you keep the players quarantined in hotels how do you isolate the hotel staff, food service workers, etc? You're better off elsewhere I think.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@DesertPenguin - same concern with any venue that doesn't (also) quarantine staff.

LV has 40 million visitors annually (not in quarantine time) and 2.3 million or so regional residents.

(The thing is that residents usually don't go to the Strip or Downtown, unless they work there or have family visiting)

Workers (union) are pushing for more protection from workers and more worker testing -- in all LV venues. (And asking for mandatory masks in public spaces.)

A lot of asymptomatic folks are being caught by expanded testing.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Good luck to the governor trying to enforce that.

Sounds like there won't be much enforcement.

He added that the mandate had an enforcement element, but he did not intend it to result in fines or arrest. He said that the state would use the Occupational Health and Safety Administration, local licensing agencies and regulating authorities to help with enforcement.
"The last thing I want is for monetary fines or criminal penalties to be imposed on Nevadans, which is why I strongly encourage everyone to follow this directive," Sisolak said.

Nevada Gov. Sisolak mandates face coverings in public

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I just wish the BC government hadn't wasted time on this to start with. The economic impact is minimal compared to things like the film industry reopening. Not sure what the league was thinking here; nobody is gonna go up against what Queen Bonnie says and come away with a win right now.

Meanwhile British Columbians are happily planning their vacations due to the proactive health measures we've taken and probably won't be paying all that much attention to the playoffs. Much better things to do than sit in front of a TV on a BC summer weekend. Would not be surprised if the Canucks lobby to have their games played during the week.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I know a lot goes into the decision, and the NHL has benefited by seeing how things have played out over the last month, but, how much longer are they going to drag out the decision? The preparations are going to take time, and rushing things will have an impact.

It seems like Toronto as a site is inevitable at this point. As someone in the greater metro area, I'm not a fan of anything that increases our infection spread risks, especially as there's a lot of concern on whether it'll be safe for schools to open fully in September.

Reactions: robertocarlos

BigRedPillow

Sep 27, 2017

Haven't been able to get around the paywall.

Most relevant section:

Under Chicago's proposal, the NHL could play three games per day at the United Center—without fans in attendance—and have access to four sheets of ice for practice: two at nearby Fifth Third Arena and two Johnny's Ice House rinks on the Near West Side. The UC's east atrium would be used as a daily COVID-19 testing center for players and team personnel.

At McCormick Place, hundreds of players would likely stay at the 41-story Marriott Marquis hotel with private access to Wintrust Arena across the street, which would serve as an exercise and training facility. Hospitality tents with gaming lounges and other amenities for players and team personnel would also be connected to the hotel and operated by Austin-based C3 Presents, the group that stages Chicago's annual Lollapalooza festival.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

No decision today

Tick. Tock.

My confidence in this plan remains low. The NHL is not great at making quick decisions, and theres going to be a lot of little operational decisions that are required after sites are selected. Hopefully,part of the up front delays are sorting out some of these details in advance,but it feels like it's the high level stuff being negotiated.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
My read is that Edmonton has a strong bid, technically speaking. Rogers Place has a full size practice rink attached. Players would all stay at the brand new Marriott hotel directly across the street and attached to Rogers Place (other team staff would stay at other nearby hotels which are nice, but not to the level of the Marriott). Edmonton's Covid numbers are excellent, with 222 active cases.

Problem is A: it's Edmonton which excites no one. Toronto is a bigger city, more amenities, nicer hotels - but nothing's attached. Players have to bus everywhere.

B: time zones - they'd like to be in the eastern time zone if possible.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My read is that Edmonton has a strong bid, technically speaking. Rogers Place has a full size practice rink attached. Players would all stay at the brand new Marriott hotel directly across the street and attached to Rogers Place (other team staff would stay at other nearby hotels which are nice, but not to the level of the Marriott). Edmonton's Covid numbers are excellent, with 222 active cases.

Problem is A: it's Edmonton which excites no one. Toronto is a bigger city, more amenities, nicer hotels - but nothing's attached. Players have to bus everywhere.

B: time zones - they'd like to be in the eastern time zone if possible.

I don't see the timezone mattering at all with no fans. If they want to play a 7 ET game, you just play it at 5.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

This helps explains some of the delays, but does reflect that they're scrambling quite a bit.

Players seem to think they have the luxury of being picky on accommodations. I'm not sure if I'd share their same company confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad