Division-centric sites for season resumption - reported to be Edmonton and Toronto

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
What they miss is that the lower ratings is less about overlap with football and more about no one gives a crap about 82 regular season games. Move the season back to December and people will simply start paying attention 2 months later.

That's sort of how I see it too. I frankly dont watch the NBA until the first round is over because everything before that is useless.

I think people were never going to watch those games really anyway. I guess we will get a real world test soon on which is right.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sportsnet just announced on Twitter Vegas is set.

Wagering Toronto is their other hub choice hence looking to get Canada to give a waiver on the 14-day quarantine rules.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
By kicking people out. It amazes me that you even had to ask that question.

So, you're asking an industry/city that has lost billions in the last three months to change their customer-centric business model?

You're asking companies to use their nightclub bouncers (or similar) to eject folks, who will go down the block to a different venue and spend $$ there? Or take their $$s and go home?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Hockey, NHL pushing forward on multiple fronts - Sportsnet.ca

One NHL player indicated that one of the things he and his teammates brought up was whether or not three or four restaurants at each hub could be “bought” for the duration so that only players and their families could go there. No general public, just them. The idea was to have somewhere else to go besides the rinks and the hotel.

Guessing some of the great chefs of Las Vegas could be catering meals in Las Vegas. Might also be able to "buyout" select restaurants around town for a day or few. There may also be some in/around Delano or Vdara that would be exclusive as well.

(There are so many entertainment options in Las Vegas, that even if families were allowed one (exclusive to NHL family) venue per day, there would be lots of options.)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So, you're asking an industry/city that has lost billions in the last three months to change their customer-centric business model?

You're asking companies to use their nightclub bouncers (or similar) to eject folks, who will go down the block to a different venue and spend $$ there? Or take their $$s and go home?

If the pandemic spikes hard again they might not have a choice.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Reports: Isles, Rangers will play in Las Vegas, one of two NHL hub cities

Sounds like Eastern conference may play in Las Vegas per Newsday.
This is essentially the same report from the NY Post, which is just putting 2 and 2 together, no actual reporting.

The NHL has said none of the 24 teams that would return to play under the league’s plan would play games in its home city. Since the Vegas Golden Knights are part of the Western Conference, that would mean the Eastern Conference would head to Las Vegas.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
If that's the case, it would eliminate Vancouver and Edmonton as hub cities. Seems like the NHL really wants to go to Toronto but is waiting on the Canadian government.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If they go with Vegas as one of the hubs, you would think the other hub would be in the eastern time zone (ie Toronto) for television viewing purposes. They could start out each evening with games in the eastern time zone and follow them up with games in Vegas. This would maximize the number of eye balls glued to the tv.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
If that's the case, it would eliminate Vancouver and Edmonton as hub cities. Seems like the NHL really wants to go to Toronto but is waiting on the Canadian government.

Too bad. I was speaking with someone from the Oilers medical staff who thought they had an excellent shot at being selected: very few Covid cases, lots of testng available, adequate hotels either directly attached or very close to the arena, they were going to have a dedicated golf course for players. The only issue was that fi Vegas gets it, Edmonton is also out west.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL may have to rescind the decision to not have team play in their home rink. It made sense when there were four planned hub cities, but with only two, not so much.

it's not like the guys will be heading home after the game; they'd be heading to the hotel(s) with the other teams.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
NHL may have to rescind the decision to not have team play in their home rink. It made sense when there were four planned hub cities, but with only two, not so much.

it's not like the guys will be heading home after the game; they'd be heading to the hotel(s) with the other teams.

The 4 hub city thing must have pretty early on. Because I remember hearing 2 hub cities for a few weeks before Bettman's announcement. Also, did the NHL ever actually say that teams wouldn't play in their home rink or was that just media and fan speculation?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The 4 hub city thing must have pretty early on. Because I remember hearing 2 hub cities for a few weeks before Bettman's announcement. Also, did the NHL ever actually say that teams wouldn't play in their home rink or was that just media and fan speculation?

Yes. During the time of four hub cities (leaked to media).

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Concerning Chicago.....I'm in the Chicago area now. I have all the data available to me. The number of virus cases continues to slowly drop. The present numbers are about what they were the first week of April. That's a very low number - just a few hundred new cases every day.

The way the governor has set up the re-opening rules, it is VERY unlikely that there will be a mass growth in those numbers, because gatherings are still very restricted, restaurants are still basically outdoors only, and the rules won't change much until there is a vaccine or a treatment, or the case is so low as not not be a concern.

I know a fellow who runs a large convention center. He has lots of space available. Yeah, I think Chicago would work. But, there won't be any great night life. I'm not sure why the players would like it any better than any other city.

But, as far as COVID safe, it will be as good as any.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

I think Daly clarified that it was not necessarily the case in the 2-hub plan.

It really makes NO SENSE to put the East Hub in Vegas and the West Hub in the East (or Chicago).

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Agreed. The "home" team was never going to have a true home-ice advantage. No fans would be in attendance, and they'd have to be quarantined in hotels just like players from all the other teams. Having teams in the east play in an eastern city and teams in the west play in a western city is the simplest way to go about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad