Disturbing e-mails leak of Eugene Melnyk bashing a Senators campaign. šŸ“¢ VIEWERS DISCRETION IS ADVISED šŸ“¢

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Below is the Senators campaign Melnyk was really not happy about :

View attachment 530899

Frustrated after viewing the Twitter campaign, Melnyk called the person in charge and said :

EM - Are you the one responsible for this f*king gay campaign? Have you lost your f***ing mind? You need to take that shit down immediately.
EM - We are the laughing stock of the NHL right now!
EM - They think we are so desperate that we have to advertise to gays now. Dogs and gays.

*"The reference to dogs referred to the Senators commitment in the community to local animal rescues where they'd ran promotions earlier in the season. Despite Melnyk's objections the campaign ran as advertise as part of the NHL's "Hockey is for Everyone".

Workplace abuse was also reported. The Athletic found the account of one employee who took the abuse from Melnyk's:

EM - You F*ing can't who do you think you are? When I tell you to do something you do it.
You are done.
EM - You really are a dumb bitch who doesn't get it. How dare you write and question me.You are a no one.
All these emails sent by the former Senators owner, have been confirmed and verified by The Athletic.
(The Eugene Melnyk era in Ottawa: Hopeful, then bizarre and tyrannical)

Wow as you can see Melnyk was really a scumbag. What a crazy story.​

#HockeyIsForEveryoneā™„ļøšŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ
Everyone would mean itā€™s for people like Melnyk too. :dunno:

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
I don't see why dying should make one temporarily immune to criticism.
Just fraudulence and dishonesty.

That's the whole kicker it isn't just that you were forced to pretend such nonsense.

It's the people forcing you to do so.

This idea people have the right to make this kind of mob consensus.

The mob doesn't have the right to push something fundamentally dishonest.

People who force absurd rules are as bad as melnyk himself.

The pendulum of what is "socially appropriate" has a long history of being not just wrong but oppressively wrong.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You'd pretty much get banned for implying the world is a better place without him.

Now all of a sudden people are pulling a massive U-Turn and acting shocked Melnyk would do something like this.

Seriously, don't know where people's priorities are. This is a guy who was ripping off charities.

I mean you can at least sort of see where he was coming from. These are not good photos. I mean independent of orientation. The straight one in the lower right being the worst of the 3. It looks like the kind of adds used by a cheap strip mall in etobicoke to sell mortgage insurance.
Who is acting shocked Melnyk would do this?

The one person who posted they were shocked were pretty clearly being sarcastic.

I didn't know a ton about Melnyk but I think there's some room between pretending he did no wrong and celebrating him dying right after it was announced.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Just fraudulence and dishonesty.

That's the whole kicker it isn't just that you were forced to pretend such nonsense.

It's the people forcing you to do so.

This idea people have the right to make this kind of mob consensus.

The mob doesn't have the right to push something fundamentally dishonest.

People who force absurd rules are as bad as melnyk himself.

The pendulum of what is "socially appropriate" has a long history of being not just wrong but oppressively wrong.

To be honest I can't tell which way you're arguing here...?

Reactions: Wretched Oil

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
What an ass clown Melnyk was, I get that losing a team owner is hard but it's hard to feel sympathy for the guy when he was such a POS. Sens fans deserved much better than him.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
Melnyk has a complicated relationship with Sens fans. There wouldn't be an Ottawa Senators without him buying and saving the club, so he's responsible for us being here. He's also responsible for the crashing and burning of the organization.

Its not black and white. There's a lot of grey. We all know/knew he was a bad person, but also didnt feel like dancing on somoenes grave because we wanted him to sell the team.

Guy displayed all the traits of a malignant narcissist and potentially a sociopath.

Not all sociopaths live amoral lives that are completely devoid of empathy, but Melnyk displayed a lot of those traits. He's an all round toxic individual.

His worst trait wasn't that he was self absorbed lacked empathy, and seemed to admire his own amoral ruthless behavior. It was that the guy suffered from a profound lack of self awareness.

It can't be overstated how dangerous of a combination that is.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The outrage here appears to be solely with the time period. This likely has happened before and was likely acceptable in the NHL in a different era.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
guy was prob a douche bag but in a sense I can understand why he may have been reluctant. The Sens are a small market team and an easy target, So it may not be he is homophobic but worried that hockey fans are not as forward as some others and that it would cause the struggling team to lose more fans.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Don't speak ill of the dead is meant for, like, wearing too much cologne and being a bad cook. Stupid shit that doesn't speak to your character. Not being a bigot.

f*** this guy, he's a piece of garbage.

My thoughts are with Sens fans, players, and employees who had to endure this bullshit for years.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Think I need to see the ā€˜Forensic Studyā€™ on this one to believe it :sarcasm:

The fact he sent these emails direct tells me more than what he sent. This is a bully who always gets his way. Predict this will be the tip of the iceberg once others come forward.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'm just wondering if there are any here, or anyone that has family members, that benefitted from his generous side?

Canadians and Senators fans alike would have benefited a lot more if he'd paid his fair share instead of structuring his business and life around tax avoidance while kicking back in Barbados, committing securities fraud, suing anything that moved, and begging the government for handouts.

f*** his fake bullshit philanthropy, he was a sociopath.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Itā€™s just blatant that he didnā€™t think he did anything wrong. His thought process by emailing this bigotry shows that he actually believed this way and that everyone should too.

This information being leaked while he was still alive would probably have done next to nothing on a human level for him. He probably wouldā€™ve gone about his day thinking the world is wrong for condemning him.

I feel sorry for his grieving family to have this left behind. I also feel sorry for the thousands and millions of families grieving over kids that took their life away because of ignorant POS like EM.

Reactions: oxenfree and AzHawk

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Viewer discretion, are you kidding me? Obviously reflects terribly on Melnyk but it's still a brutally weak, pandering ad "campaign". I see nothing genuine on either side here.

Edit: I mean I guess Melnyk, in a bad way, was being genuine.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I wish this was leaked when he was alive maybe Ottawa would have got a new owner sooner but then again bettman would probably defend a misogynistic homophobe.

As a sens fan I only knew there was going to be one way he wasnā€™t going to own the team and as sad as it sounds I actually regularly googled how old this guy was every now and then just waiting for it .

The world needs less people like this guy

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
The outrage here appears to be solely with the time period. This likely has happened before and was likely acceptable in the NHL in a different era.
There was a time period where consumating a marriage with
a 13 year old was acceptable. Could outrage at a pedophile be solely to do time period?

Enough with the relativist garbage, the man was a waste of flesh and I'm glad he is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad