Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
No one cared that a black man was cast in a Star Wars movie

Why do you say that when the quote in question has John Boyega saying the exact opposite??

You can criticize Finn as a poorly written, poorly developed character, but that doesn't factor in here because Boyega is talking about people reacting to his casting, not his performance.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
All fandoms have "toxic" people, that's true for any group of people. Social media is just a cesspool of humanity. It's not something unique to Star Wars, or in a greater context nerd-culture. Any topic is going to have a group of toxic people, and social media will amplify them. My advice to anyone is to avoid it.

Elizabeth Olsen recently deleted her Instagram. People are saying it's because toxic people were going after her for not posting anything about Chadwick Boseman. Maybe that's why she left, maybe it's just her grieving process, no one really knows. And the people being toxic might not even be fans of that thing, that's why I'm hesitant to just call a fandom toxic.

Back in the day Ahmed Best referenced the media, not the fans. And look at the reception he gets at Star Wars events.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
All fandoms have "toxic" people, that's true for any group of people. Social media is just a cesspool of humanity. It's not something unique to Star Wars, or in a greater context nerd-culture. Any topic is going to have a group of toxic people, and social media will amplify them. My advice to anyone is to avoid it.

Elizabeth Olsen recently deleted her Instagram. People are saying it's because toxic people were going after her for not posting anything about Chadwick Boseman. Maybe that's why she left, maybe it's just her grieving process, no one really knows. And the people being toxic might not even be fans of that thing, that's why I'm hesitant to just call a fandom toxic.

Back in the day Ahmed Best referenced the media, not the fans. And look at the reception he gets at Star Wars events.
Okay, so what? I am not saying Star Wars fans have more toxic fans than others. I don't think John Boyega is necessarily saying that, either.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Okay, so what? I am not saying Star Wars fans have more toxic fans than others. I don't think John Boyega is necessarily saying that, either.
I wasn't responding to you. Just giving my views in general. My views are I just think it's odd when we paint entire fandoms as toxic. Maybe those people were never apart of those fandoms.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is it 8 episodes again or do we still not know? I wonder how many of the character leaks are true.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As I recall Boyega himself downplayed fan racism when the media brought it up initially years ago. He seems to have changed his tune now.

When you're an actor being exposed to hundreds of millions of people, if only .000001% are racist jerks harassing you online, it feels like a lot of people on an anecdotal level.

If you've been critical of these new SW films long enough, there's a good chance you've been called "toxic" at some point, and in some cases implied that you're sexist/racist. I think that's why there's a certain level of defensiveness when the conversation turns to this subject matter.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Boyega is 100% correct about how terribly the Finn character was handled in this trilogy.

That is a huge problem with the trilogy; it started with characters who seemed like they could be interesting and in the end none of them were. Finn being the most egregious example in my viewing experience.

I think the overwhelming majority of Star Wars movie franchise(what are they up like 12 movies now?) just sucks though.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Daisy really just confirmed what most of all of us figured out. They apparently had 4 different version of her backstory, Palp connection didn't come up till the very end.

This is the exact reason why you have to pair a quality writer with JJ, not Kasden who was just in it for the payday basically just rewrote A New Hope, or Terrio who is responsible for some of the worst writting in recent cinema. And this is why if you want to have multiple directors, you should at least have them work together or at least choose directors with similar styles.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
At this point, Disney is nuts to let Kathleen Kennedy finish her contract with how much of a mess she's made. The two lead stars of this trilogy in the last week just confirmed what many other have been saying about the films.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Daisy really just confirmed what most of all of us figured out. They apparently had 4 different version of her backstory, Palp connection didn't come up till the very end.

This is the exact reason why you have to pair a quality writer with JJ, not Kasden who was just in it for the payday basically just rewrote A New Hope, or Terrio who is responsible for some of the worst writting in recent cinema. And this is why if you want to have multiple directors, you should at least have them work together or at least choose directors with similar styles.

Basically the MCU or The Mandalorian approach.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I can't believe they went into this making a whole new trilogy and you don't have a set path for your star character throughout the 3 movies. Rey Kenobi, Rey nobody, Rey Palpatine and Rey Skywalker. I still preferred this trilogy to the prequels, but at least the prequels had a cohesive storyline for the most part. From Force Awaken to Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker it felt like 3 completely types of movies. This just confirms everything that I thought it was and that they were just sort of making it up as they went along. What a missed opportunity.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

George Lucas made up the first three films as he went along. He didn't really have a plan at first (originally he wanted to make a Flash Gordon film but couldn't get the rights, so he filed off the serial numbers and made a "Flash Gordon" film using his own ideas), developed one after making Star Wars, and then threw it away when he got sick and tired of making them after The Empire Strikes Back.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
George Lucas made up the first three films as he went along. He didn't really have a plan at first (originally he wanted to make a Flash Gordon film but couldn't get the rights, so he filed off the serial numbers and made a "Flash Gordon" film using his own ideas), developed one after making Star Wars, and then threw it away when he got sick and tired of making them after The Empire Strikes Back.
Yes, because he didn't think the first would be a success, it only became a trilogy after he realized how successful it was. And unlike the ST, it was a consistent vision, and sure some major stuff sort of changed as he went, but it wasn't as jarring as the ST.

Everything else Star Wars after that was not without a plan.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
The Disney trilogy was a missed opportunity in so many ways. One way that made a lot of people sad is you didn't have Han,Luke and Leia all in a scene together and many people I have heard will never forgive Disney for that.

I wish Disney had a plan before making the trilogy. Finn had so much potential but they blew it. Rey was too damn good in so many things and not having a plan on who her parents where was obvious to many.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, because he didn't think the first would be a success, it only became a trilogy after he realized how successful it was. And unlike the ST, it was a consistent vision, and sure some major stuff sort of changed as he went, but it wasn't as jarring as the ST.

Everything else Star Wars after that was not without a plan.

The reason it was a consistent vision was that it had one boss with a consistent agenda. The ST suffers greatly from lacking this.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As I recall Boyega himself downplayed fan racism when the media brought it up initially years ago. He seems to have changed his tune now.

Are you saying that Boyega diminished his own experience? Tsk tsk. I imagine that he changed his tune because he was persuaded to by others and current events and, especially, because of his frustration over how his character was handled. If he were happy with how the trilogy turned out, he wouldn't be venting like this.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Are you saying that Boyega diminished his own experience? Tsk tsk. I imagine that he changed his tune because he was persuaded to by others and current events and, especially, because of his frustration over how his character was handled. If he were happy with how the trilogy turned out, he wouldn't be venting like this.
At about 7:30 into the video:

I just remember this being brought up to him multiple times and him acting like it wasn't a big deal. "Where the racists at?"

Reactions: Osprey

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
No one knew ANH would be the success it went on to be. Lucas went into it wanting to make an old time Flash Gordon, spaghetti western in space.

After ANH, Lucas laid out a plan for future installments, including the prequels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad