NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Holy hell, what is with the opposing AI? Even with sliders turned down they get every loose puck, knock the puck off me/steal with absolute ease, never take tripping or slashing calls, intercept even the shortest of passes, and make blazingly fast tape-to-tape passes without hesitation in the offensive zone at an extremely unrealistic rate until they get their shot off. Driving me absolutely insane.

The AI ruined the offline game. It’s not that they’re intelligent, it’s that they’re cheap. I haven’t played Franchise mode in two years nor have I wanted to, it’s just not a fun game.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree with the both of you. The AI (despite being actually good after you mucked with the sliders enough last year) this year is irredeemably bad.

Even with that Aitito dude's sliders (that guy is a slider savant considering how well his stuff worked for 17 and 18) the superstar AI is still busted. As bon said, they win damn near every puck battle, are impossible to knock off the puck unless you nail them to the boards (which 95% of the time results in a penalty) and can knock the puck off of you by breathing AND somehow come away with it cleanly. You try and do that, even with fixed sliders? puck bounces around like a superball and still somehow ends up on their stick

I almost wanted to throw my controller through the TV after i had one instance where i stick lifted the AI 3 times, the AI managed to keep possession of it on all 3, then proceeded to skate through a hit on the boards and score. There's challenging, i absolutely don't mind that...and then there's this type of ****.

Tito's sliders work usually, but i guess there's some things the sliders can't fix.

I'm in Australia right now so i got the game dirt cheap (like really dirt) so i could combat homesickness but god damn do i hate it. Even the offline modes are unplayable, and even 18 had that going for it.

Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I made a build that has been a lot of fun to play recently. Offensive defenceman with perks for passing and wrist shots (only the 1st one, not double...takes away too much from the slapper) and the lungs perk (endurance). It's the perfect build for breakout passes, pinching on rushes, etc. Just a lot of fun to play. My favourite aspect of hockey (both real and video games) is the breakout pass, as that kickstarts the entire play and I feel like the game flows through defencemen, so this build has been really enjoyable to play lately.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I've just lost close to one hour trying to get into a 3's drop-in game, the fact that the matchmaking system is still broken 2½ months after release is a complete and utter joke.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The AI ruined the offline game. It’s not that they’re intelligent, it’s that they’re cheap. I haven’t played Franchise mode in two years nor have I wanted to, it’s just not a fun game.
You guys just summed everything up for me. I need a franchise manager sim because EA offline simply is not fun anymore for exactly every reason you stated and the poster you responded to.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Man is this series ever in need of a graphical overhaul/Frostbite injection. My wife was watching me play NHL 19 last night and was like "are you sure that's a Playstation 4 game? It looks awful."

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Man is this series ever in need of a graphical overhaul/Frostbite injection. My wife was watching me play NHL 19 last night and was like "are you sure that's a Playstation 4 game? It looks awful."
EA's thing is let's grab the license to NHL and Madden so we can throw out a half-@$$ed product and hold the people hostage to buy it. That's why 2K topped them in basektball. They got lazy and had to go through an embarrassing four-year process of making a sports game that was acceptable by 2018 standards. I can't stand EA.

Reactions: Silencio

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
It's kind of ironic how something like a video game that is generally used to de-stress and have fun can make me (and everyone else) so angry. :laugh:

There are a lot of higher-end EASHL players who take it very seriously, and I have never been that way. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten "mad" at a video game before NHL 19. But I play EASHL 3's with my D1 club, I'm at 3.5 points/game and still, more than half the time, I want to throw my controller through the TV.

Same old story last night, lost a game with 40 seconds left on a CPU backhand floater from the top of the circle with no screen.

The game is absolutely terrible. I still bought it because it's the only option and I do enjoy playing with my buddies, but man. There is more in this game that's broken than there are things that are right. Such a massive step backwards from the old gen games. Next year might be the first one I don't buy since NHL 09.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Is there some sort of button I'm not pressing that helps me keep control of the puck in Online Versus? Or to win a puck battle?

I can poke check the puck (the puck, not the player) four or five times in a shift/sequence... and while it knocks the puck off the player, the player very quickly grabs it back. Regardless of my positioning. I could be between them and the puck and I still lose the puck battle.

The first time in a shift/sequence... sure, it happens. The RNG that decides who gets the puck if two players are near it is due to strike unfavorably for me from time to time. The second time in a row... well gee, that's unfortunate. The third time... getting a little annoying. The fourth time... I'm about to twist the controller in half. The fifth time... I'm ready to rip someones throat out. Then they score on some shitty, predictable top corner wristshot from above the circle and wonder why I opted to quit the match.

Yet the same circumstance applied to me, I not only lose the puck and the subsequent battle that results from it, but the puck probably bounces onto some opposing AI players stick speeding into my zone for an opportunity and this shitbag I'm playing gets to feel good about themselves for it. Hell, I actually got body checked from behind on a rush and somehow lost the puck. A gentle chasing body check... FROM BEHIND. I can barely get the puck from people after a head on collision... no less a light breeze from behind. Seriously, what the f***.

EDIT: Going back to NHL 18 when I decided to play as the Penguins instead of my trusty Sabres as an experiment and went on a 20 game undefeated streak online... I still think the game is more numbers and luck than skill. NHL 19 is no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

FriedmansBaldSpot

Dec 10, 2009
Just bought this game for the first time since Chel 16.. they've literally changed nothing in Be-A-Pro. They've added slightly better game play, and hut. that's it. You can't even see added up career totals in franchise, so I have no idea when i'm close to breaking a record. I honestly thought this year would be different so I finally caved and bought it, and I regret the decision so bad. Compared to NBA2K19 this game is a joke, and 2k19 isn't all that great. I feel like EA and 2K have the same issue, people keep buying mediocre product, and they have no incentive to fix, add to, or improve the game. There's no reason for these people to even hire a community manager, or ask for input from the people who buy the games, because they clearly don't listen to any of it. I know this is long, and sounds like I'm just completely shitting on the product, but I'm just sorta frustrated that I spent money on the $100 version and basically just a slightly improved game from NHL 16. The graphics are even the same, I swear. I enjoyed the create a team/arena but there's just so much to improve on.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Is there some sort of button I'm not pressing that helps me keep control of the puck in Online Versus? Or to win a puck battle?

I can poke check the puck (the puck, not the player) four or five times in a shift/sequence... and while it knocks the puck off the player, the player very quickly grabs it back. Regardless of my positioning. I could be between them and the puck and I still lose the puck battle.

The first time in a shift/sequence... sure, it happens. The RNG that decides who gets the puck if two players are near it is due to strike unfavorably for me from time to time. The second time in a row... well gee, that's unfortunate. The third time... getting a little annoying. The fourth time... I'm about to twist the controller in half. The fifth time... I'm ready to rip someones throat out. Then they score on some ****ty, predictable top corner wristshot from above the circle and wonder why I opted to quit the match.

Yet the same circumstance applied to me, I not only lose the puck and the subsequent battle that results from it, but the puck probably bounces onto some opposing AI players stick speeding into my zone for an opportunity and this ****bag I'm playing gets to feel good about themselves for it. Hell, I actually got body checked from behind on a rush and somehow lost the puck. A gentle chasing body check... FROM BEHIND. I can barely get the puck from people after a head on collision... no less a light breeze from behind. Seriously, what the ****.

EDIT: Going back to NHL 18 when I decided to play as the Penguins instead of my trusty Sabres as an experiment and went on a 20 game undefeated streak online... I still think the game is more numbers and luck than skill. NHL 19 is no different.

I run into that same issue a lot. Doesn't happen with everyone I play against but sometimes no matter what I do they always somehow get the puck from me even when I protect it with my back facing them, and when I try to do the same to them I end up with a penalty nearly every time. Meanwhile they NEVER lose possession of the puck no matter what I do. It's extremely frustrating, especially when I go on a breakaway and somehow they take the puck away from behind me lol. I never had that issue in any other NHL game that I've played

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You've gotta love it when you're playing 3v3 in EASHL and you play defence, your team gets destroyed because both forwards float at the blue line/redline instead of playing defence and covering a player, and when you do get possession of the puck they don't get open and so you can't pass to them without it being intercepted, and then you get a snarky message afterwards about how you're terrible.

The NHL 19 community can be pretty awful.

Reactions: Kcb12345 and OB5

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This game is genuinely terrible and not fun 80% of the time. Playing EASHL offers the gameplay depth of NHL 95. Just be big, hit everything and score cheese goals. That’s always been possible, but now it’s basically essential.

I play a playmaking style, relatively small with good defensive positioning and stick work. This game was not made for me, it was made for the xSmokeWeedEveryDay1553xx kid with the black character model, bright pink tape and long blonde hair.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I used to play EASHL and Franchise mode a lot.

Now I just play EASHL the 3s mayhem one with no rules. Why not? This game isn't hockey anymore, so I have a 6'9" 250 pound EFD who just hits everybody. I average about 20 hits a game in that silly mode.

Would love to play real hockey again, but can't due to...

- A penalty on everything(seriously, have had Franchise game with 12-14 PPs from either team)
- Cheese/glitch goals from everybody online
- Ridiculous superstar AI that win every single puck battle and simply score when they decide to score
- Sitting in EASHL lobbies for hours to find a game

I'm just so sick of it, so I might as well play the nonsense arcade mode with no rules.

Thanks EA.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
The game is absolutely horrible, ive never been so frustrated playing a game before.
Whether it is me going to switch to someone in puck pursuit, but the game gives me control of someone in front of the net which in turn leaves the front wide open because the game switched to the wrong player.
Or floaters from the blue like that go in at least once a game
Or the stupid tripping penalties
Or outshooting the other player 30-6 in HUT and losing 5-1
Ive got every single game since 09, and I can honestly say this is the least fun ive ever had playing an NHL game
What a joke

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What frustrates me most since I use the feature to create college rosters is the fact they took away the option to not have a "play-by-play" name for created players so I'm forced to use their extremely limited list!!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What frustrates me most since I use the feature to create college rosters is the fact they took away the option to not have a "play-by-play" name for created players so I'm forced to use their extremely limited list!!

There’s a feature to create college rosters?

Would love to hear more.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
There’s a feature to create college rosters?

Would love to hear more.
Well techincally, No special ones or anything, I just Create College teams in Create A Team then fill out the rosters by creating each player individually with the Create A Player feature. It's a bit time consuming but fun to do. The max I usually create is about 10-12 teams cause the game runs out of space to store more created players after that.

It sucks cause in past versions for Create A Player you could select the option of not having a Play-by-play name for them if one didn't match in the list, now you have to choose a name from there list which is the most annoying thing ever. I don't understand not giving people the simple option of not having a PBP name, especially when the same option is in create a team!

Last edited:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
2K needs to start making hockey games again, EA has been doing a terrible job with it since day 1

People always say this, and while I'm inclined to agree that EA has done a bad job, how would 2k fare in making a hockey game after all this time? Not to mention 2k servers are absolutely horrendous. Online play is a big part of NHL, and it should be moving forward. Obviously, offline needs to be attended to as well, but the biggest issue is gameplay by far. Will 2k provide that? I personally say no. Look at their recent products for 2k. There are plenty of flaws within those NBA games(as there are in any game, but I mean core mechs). So I don't know.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Every time I play the AI they finish with 0 hits because they can just perfectly stick lift me the whole game. Pretty fake and frustrating.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’ve never had a problem with 2K’s servers. I have had issues with EA’s servers. So....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad