NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
NHL 19 is on sale for $29.96 CAD at most major retailers right now. For this price, is it worth it to upgrade from NHL 18?
In its current state, no. Next month they do plan to temporarily roll the gameplay back to how it was in the beta (and it was the best it's been this console generation) and make changes from there, but there's no guarantees they won't just ruin it again. I'm sure it'll go on sale again in a couple of months and you might want to check back to see how it is.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Just played my first online versus game, and im propably not going to play again. Felt really weird and the skating felt very slow, even though the connection was good.

And what is up with the amount of tripping penalties? I took 4 tripping penalties, and my opponent 7. Seems like every time the stick went even near a players skates, they tripped.

I mean, i like that you can't spam the pokecheck and have to time it, but it was still pretty unforgiving.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I’m also noticing that your AI defenseman just up into the play waaaaay too much leaving the point unoccupied in an obvious situation where you want to pass it back.

This is the first thing I noticed when I started playing this years game. It's almost comical how much they jump up. I dumped it in when killing a 5 on 3 and both my D men jumped up to the other teams blue....

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
AI is really terrible in this game. I know AI is a common complaint in NHL games, but this year it seems really bad that I’m noticing more as being a quirk for a video game.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
This is the first thing I noticed when I started playing this years game. It's almost comical how much they jump up. I dumped it in when killing a 5 on 3 and both my D men jumped up to the other teams blue....
It happens in the d-zone too. If you chase a puck carrier with a d-man up to the blue line and the forward drops back to cover his area, they won’t rotate back, the D-man will simply assume that players role and the forward will play as d until you move the puck out. It’s ridiculously awful.

Edit: oh I forgot one of the other terrible features still in the game that’s been there the entire new generation: your player side stepping a guy you’ve lined up for a hit. It’s been in the game for years. Power forward who loves hitting? Oops just let me circle around you instead of hitting you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It happens in the d-zone too. If you chase a puck carrier with a d-man up to the blue line and the forward drops back to cover his area, they won’t rotate back, the D-man will simply assume that players role and the forward will play as d until you move the puck out. It’s ridiculously awful.

It's just such lazy design. I honestly think this is my last sports game for a while. I buy s lot of them pretty religiously but none of them change and I just got to stop

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Just played my first online versus game, and im propably not going to play again. Felt really weird and the skating felt very slow, even though the connection was good.

And what is up with the amount of tripping penalties? I took 4 tripping penalties, and my opponent 7. Seems like every time the stick went even near a players skates, they tripped.

I mean, i like that you can't spam the pokecheck and have to time it, but it was still pretty unforgiving.
And, meanwhile, if you go onto EA's forums, there are still people complaining that defense is overpowered (somehow) and that's with an AI defense that literally does nothing outside of intercept passes and every defensive tool either resulting in a penalty often (poke, stick lift) or risking an odd-man rush (hits that miss, glance off player, etc.)

They had an okay system years ago where poking/stick lifting slowed the defensive player down, so there was a risk/reward aspect to it and spamming it was useless. When I play now, it's basically just trying to protect against glitch/cheese goals by being in the way (which is basically what everyone tries to do; circle in the corner to try to wait for short-side cheese to open up).

It's such an awful, awful game to play online.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So I bought the nhl 19 99 edition. The descriptor said I get...

-6 free gold packs
-a choice between 1 of 6 legends
-a choice of one Wayne Gretzky for every team he played on or the Canada team version

Instead I got...

-4 packs with 15 cards, ZERO rares
-a choice of FOUR legends on loan for 10 games
-no Wayne Gretzky whatsoever

Am I missing something here? I’m feeling royally screwed

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
So I bought the nhl 19 99 edition. The descriptor said I get...

-6 free gold packs
-a choice between 1 of 6 legends
-a choice of one Wayne Gretzky for every team he played on or the Canada team version

Instead I got...

-4 packs with 15 cards, ZERO rares
-a choice of FOUR legends on loan for 10 games
-no Wayne Gretzky whatsoever

Am I missing something here? I’m feeling royally screwed
That's pretty normal for the p2w portion of any game.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
If the game were more than okay, EA wouldn’t be reverting back to the beta tuner in 2 weeks and starting from scratch 3 months into an annual release.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
“More than ok”. Great argument.

The skating and gameplay is way better and the outside rink adds another dimension to the game. Like some might say: “You don’t like what you’re not good at”. Stop whining and enjoy it lol. You guys are whining year after year and are buying the game no matter what every year. Just stop buying it if you don’t like it..

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
The old “my epeen is bigger than yours so my opinion matters and yours doesn’t” argument.

Have you even played anyone in this thread to know how good or bad they are at the game?

Its a Trap

The skating and gameplay is way better and the outside rink adds another dimension to the game. Like some might say: “You don’t like what you’re not good at”. Stop whining and enjoy it lol. You guys are whining year after year and are buying the game no matter what every year. Just stop buying it if you don’t like it..
I didn’t buy the game and I didn’t want an outdoor rink for the stupid 3-on-3 nonsense. The things I hoped for are not present. I don’t play online. I don’t give a shit about hut. I don’t care for stupid pond hockey.

What’s to enjoy when the game is a pathetic mess in the two modes that I play? Quit whining? Demand a better product and stop being such a fan boy. Skating is pathetic and there’s still no difference between player speeds despite the claim that their would be.

You don’t like how everyone reacts to the game in here, get out. Pretty simple. You are the very small minority and nobody’s interested in hearing an EA fan boy tell us to stop complaint about the shitty product. Especially when your retort is “it’s more than ok.”

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

We buy it because we love hockey. The complaints are because we love hockey, and we want a feel of realism. At least I do. This year's gameplay is far from realistic. Very far.

"Stop whining and enjoy it" is such a terrible approach. You're actually happy with the state of the game?

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I didn’t buy the game and I didn’t want an outdoor rink for the stupid 3-on-3 nonsense. The things I hoped for are not present. I don’t play online. I don’t give a **** about hut. I don’t care for stupid pond hockey.

What’s to enjoy when the game is a pathetic mess in the two modes that I play? Quit whining? Demand a better product and stop being such a fan boy. Skating is pathetic and there’s still no difference between player speeds despite the claim that their would be.

You don’t like how everyone reacts to the game in here, get out. Pretty simple. You are the very small minority and nobody’s interested in hearing an EA fan boy tell us to stop complaint about the ****ty product. Especially when your retort is “it’s more than ok.”

We buy it because we love hockey. The complaints are because we love hockey, and we want a feel of realism. At least I do. This year's gameplay is far from realistic. Very far.

"Stop whining and enjoy it" is such a terrible approach. You're actually happy with the state of the game?

Im far from an EA fan lol. I’ve just accepted over the year the fact that EA don’t care about the fans and they will realease an underwhelming product no matter what. I’m an EASHL player and this is the game I played the most since NHL 15. I can’t care less that you don’t like it, but instead of whining every f***in year on a forum, maybe you guys could send EA emails about it so they could improve the game?

I’m indifferent with the state of the game to be honest. Remember, it’s still a video game. There is so much realism that can be put into it. Looking at what you guys write, we could think this game was released in 1988. The best way to make EA improve the game is to not buy it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For me the saving grace for this game has been 1's. It is such a fun and addictive mode to me; that feeling of just one more is taking over

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
They ruined HUT this year IMO and it used to be my favourite mode. I don't want f***ing loan players because I like to get used to playing with my roster full time, not 10 games. And the fact that getting an 80 overall player costs me 3000 coins is ridiculous. EASHL 3s has easily become my favourite game mode in these past two NHLs, for the first time since NHL 07 I don't know if I will buy NHL 2020 when it comes out.....

Its a Trap

Playing an offline game is just so...unsatisfying. The CPU is just completely overpowered especially the poke check. I mean cool guys, you want to make the poke check for players basically an auto penalty awesome, but make it the same way for the CPU as well otherwise it’s just another advantage for it in an already stacked deck.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
HUT is moving from peer-to-peer connections to their dedicated servers

Dedicated Servers Are Coming To HUT 19
Hey everyone,

Starting Tuesday, January 8th at 5 AM EST, NHL 19 will be switching to dedicated servers for all HUT games.

Read below to find out more about why we are changing to dedicated servers and how it will impact your experience.

What Type of Connection Did HUT Games Used to Use?

Previously, HUT 1v1 games were based on peer-to-peer connections. Peer-to-peer games depend on the quality of connection between you and your opponent, which can be vastly different from game to game for a variety of reasons.

Why Are You Switching to Dedicated Servers in HUT?

We are switching to dedicated servers in HUT because they are a proven technology that provide an increased level of consistency and security to your playing experience.

Dedicated servers will also help solve for an exploit known in the community as the “Pause Glitch”.

How Do Dedicate Servers Improve My Experience?

With dedicated servers, your opponent’s connection quality has no effect on your gameplay experience. The only thing that matters is the quality of your connection to the server, which will make your gameplay experience more consistent. Additionally, dedicated servers will improve the security of your connection when playing games.

Do Dedicated Servers Exist in Other NHL 19 Modes?

Yes! Dedicated servers are already in use throughout NHL 19 for playing any game with 3 or more human players, such as HUT co-op games and World of Chel games.

Thank you for your patience as we worked towards creating a solution for the Pause Glitch.

- The EA SPORTS NHL Team

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Is it just me or are the penalties f***ing ridiculous in this game? I can't play franchise mode without either team getting 6 penalties at least. I turned it down slider down to 1 and I'm still having AI and myself getting a lot.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
You move the sliders down to make the players go slower. But it doesn't always stay that way, I think the game will start to move faster as you are playing. I'm not sure if it's because it's trying to stay in sync with the commentary, or it's just rubber band AI. Either way, It's incredibly frustrating.

They need to fix the sliders to make the game play better offline. I'd be happy if they just do that & add a roster share next year. But I honestly don't think I'll buy the game anymore, at least until it's on sale for like Black Friday or something.

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
I had this put in the "what do you want in NHL20, but I feel like it's applicable here too.
"My changes veer towards Be A Pro modes and Franchise Modes, as I don't play much online.

• A change that many of you may not like, but I loved when I took interviews and had events play out in NHL 14. Even an ability to turn the option on or off would be great. (Maybe a stretch, but have the cutscenes animated a little bit, like in the MLB games)
  • A slider that increases the amount of times players are traded in Be A Pro. I kinda want to be the guy who doesn't stick with a team too long, and demanding trades left and right gets old.
  • If you linger in juniors, and you aren't that great, your potential SHOULD change. Not every time do I want to be stuck as a Medium Elite.
  • For the love of god why am I allowed to choose what jersey we wear, I'm a player!
  • Maybe too much to ask, but an actual Awards Ceremony?
  • A SKATE WITH THE GODDAM CUP MECHANIC
  • Creatable players with the option to become a scout (on/off as well)
  • Give me the option to relocate and change my jerseys WITHOUT Owner Mode on
  • More jerseys please. Don't care how bad they look. give me these:
    ca79d9d8df978cc4-1-jpg.174015
    8890ff7bd2c274b6-1-jpg.174019
    bba779d195ef5802-1-jpg.174021
    299949a4055d7fab-1-jpg.174023
  • I know they suck (not the Buffalo one) but come on!
  • PLEASE GIVE US A TEXT TOOL FOR DESIGNING JERSEYS (I DO NOT CARE WHAT IT WOULD CAUSE IN CHEL, I DON"T CARE.)
  • Give us more jersey templates. We're sick of the old ones.
  • Get us more alumni. GET YOUR AGENT AND FIND US MORE BOYS. I'm talkin Fedorov, Yzerman, Mogilny, etc.
Add all those, and I'd feel justified in spending 60 bucks, despite the fact that you obviously put the least amount of effort into these games."

Once again, I really feel like EA Sports focuses on this franchise the least. We'd love it if we had the same focus that MLB had, or NBA. We'll never reach the level of respect Madden or FIFA gets, but we can dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad