NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Nothing expresses a sheer lack of imagination and ability like getting horribly outplayed but winning anyways because the AI goaltender and posts stonewall me while you literally didn't try anything but the same exploitative goal all game long. GG Online Versus randos.

Nice to see the spirit of trading dignity for meaningless wins in online games is alive and well.

Happens to me all the time. 30+ shots with many of them being good ones to 10-15 shots, 11 minutes of time on attack to 3, but they can snipe it from the outside circle while your team can't convert a 2 on 0.

Glad I'm not the only one. I was thinking it was my lack of finishing (Because goal scoring isn't a strength in this game for me), but it's the game afterall.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Happens to me all the time. 30+ shots with many of them being good ones to 10-15 shots, 11 minutes of time on attack to 3, but they can snipe it from the outside circle while your team can't convert a 2 on 0.

Glad I'm not the only one. I was thinking it was my lack of finishing (Because goal scoring isn't a strength in this game for me), but it's the game afterall.
Past a certain point it becomes less about how to play hockey and more about how to game the game. Playing hockey actually becomes detrimental. They find those cheese plays/goals that no one would be able to defend against 100% if by nothing more than the (very) fallible nature of the games AI... especially if you pick teams with poorer ratings and typically lose those stat and RNG battles before they began. And do nothing but try to set up those few plays for the full 60+ minutes.

I mean, it can't really be fun. It's not creative. It's purely working the game for a meaningless win against someone you don't know. It's shameless, and frankly embarrassing.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Past a certain point it becomes less about how to play hockey and more about how to game the game. Playing hockey actually becomes detrimental. They find those cheese plays/goals that no one would be able to defend against 100% if by nothing more than the (very) fallible nature of the games AI... especially if you pick teams with poorer ratings and typically lose those stat and RNG battles before they began. And do nothing but try to set up those few plays for the full 60+ minutes.

I mean, it can't really be fun. It's not creative. It's purely working the game for a meaningless win against someone you don't know. It's shameless, and frankly embarrassing.

Definitely. Trying to play hockey in the game doesn't win most games. I dump it, play defense first, forecheck, low shots, cycling, etc. I can't play the whole glitch hockey thing because it's just not fun. I rather lose playing real hockey than win because I forced 50 cross creases and 4 of them worked.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Definitely. Trying to play hockey in the game doesn't win most games. I dump it, play defense first, forecheck, low shots, cycling, etc. I can't play the whole glitch hockey thing because it's just not fun. I rather lose playing real hockey than win because I forced 50 cross creases and 4 of them worked.
I've actually stopped and talked to these people, and some have flat out said they glitch/cheese the game because winning is more fun than losing. Which, you know, I get it. I can even respect that, and I can respect their honesty. It's the people who aren't smart or self-aware enough to understand what they're doing that bother me.

But that's the world we live in these days, even well beyond the hockey game.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
How you know you're playing against an Online Versus asshole...

- Plays as the Leafs... check.
- Goes for the cheesy plays all game (to the point they're firing 100mph passes through the crease)... check.
- Flails his stick wildly in most situations, yet no penalties and pucks bounce right onto his players (until their luck runs out)... check.
- Watches the full replay for his one shitty goal, immediately skips my replays... check.
- Starts lagging really bad, randomly, down a goal at the start of the 3rd... check.
- Quits immediately after going down two goals... check.
- Starts playing Call of Duty as I look at their profile... check.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Holy hell, what is with the opposing AI? Even with sliders turned down they get every loose puck, knock the puck off me/steal with absolute ease, never take tripping or slashing calls, intercept even the shortest of passes, and make blazingly fast tape-to-tape passes without hesitation in the offensive zone at an extremely unrealistic rate until they get their shot off. Driving me absolutely insane.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How you know you're playing against an Online Versus *******...

- Plays as the Leafs... check.
- Goes for the cheesy plays all game (to the point they're firing 100mph passes through the crease)... check.
- Flails his stick wildly in most situations, yet no penalties and pucks bounce right onto his players (until their luck runs out)... check.
- Watches the full replay for his one ****ty goal, immediately skips my replays... check.
- Starts lagging really bad, randomly, down a goal at the start of the 3rd... check.
- Quits immediately after going down two goals... check.
- Starts playing Call of Duty as I look at their profile... check.

Haha definitely come across those players. They don’t bother me as much as the guys who just spam the fake shot button and skate backward killing time after scoring a goal. Ruins the game

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I just wanted to drop a quick message to EASHL players.

A forward should NEVER EVER EVER E- VERrrrrrrrrrrrrr walk the blue line with the puck in the offensive zone. It always results in a breakaway. Play down low where you belong.

Carry on.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Today the game is broken for me.
EA servers are sooo sloooooow. I think every snail beats it.
The 2 minute "checking rosters" or "checking" thing in every mode before it loads.
The constant freezes/lags/stutters in every CHEL mode (even PRO AM lags,which is a freaking offline mode)
And i haven't been able to find any EASHL 3v3 drop in game for 2 days straight,always get "couldn't find any matches/games" or whatever it says.... Just awful.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I had something really weird happen the other day. I'm doing a franchise as Ottawa and I mostly sim other than playing the first and last game of the year.

Anyway, I'm playing the last game of the year, an away game against Montreal and it's tied at 2 with around 4 minutes left in the 3rd. Montreal takes a penalty and my goalie leaves the net, but Price leaves the net too for some reason.

I'm already at their blue line so I just skate in pretty much untouched and dump the puck in the empty net. That ended up being the game winning goal, although I scored again later.

I looked at the standings after the game and saw that the loss allowed Boston to knock Montreal out of the last playoff spot. Can you imagine if that happened in real life? Good lord, the arena would burn.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've been playing Madden Ultimate Team and it's so much better than HUT. I love playing through the HUT campaign and the other challenges, while HUT challenges are a chore.

The only thing I don't like is MUT have packs and stuff for money purchase only, like you can't buy them with coins/pucks. On the other hand, at least they are straight up with the pay to win stuff and don't try to hide it?

Online play for both games is garbage though. Both games are people constantly trying to cheese, it's hardly fun. I wish Madden added in like an attribute regression if you consistently call the same play/formation. NHL can't really do anything though.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I was surprised to find this weekend that I think the game plays best on superstar, with things slowed down and some boosts to user speed & acceleration. I moved the goaltenders down on both sides. But this is the only way I can get the CPU to shot the puck.

I figured the CPU would be in full cheat mode on superstar, because it happens enough on all-star; but after about a half dozen games, I've not found that to be the case yet. Maybe it's still coming though!! LOL

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Anyone else getting crazy lag lately? Every couple of seconds it freezes up a little, it seems like. I'm on the Xbox One, I'm wired in, and the only person in the house using the internet. I can play other games online without issues really, but I haven't had a lag free game of Online Versus in NHL19 in probably a week or so. Tried rebooting everything, tried different ethernet cables, even changed my WiFi password in case somehow someone else got in to eat up bandwidth. Wondering if it's me or EA.

Weird thing is, the network performance thing is always in the green, says like 20-25ms ping... which isn't bad I don't think. 4-6% packet loss (whatever that means).

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Packet loss is bad. It basically means the data simply doesn't get to where it needs to go.

Anything over 1% for gaming iirc is considered bad. That being said, the packet loss can also be caused by ****y servers on their end just as much as it could be on the player's end.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Packet loss is bad. It basically means the data simply doesn't get to where it needs to go.

Anything over 1% for gaming iirc is considered bad. That being said, the packet loss can also be caused by ****y servers on their end just as much as it could be on the player's end.
I kinda figured the packet loss might be something. Is there any way to rule out the internet connection being a problem on my end?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I kinda figured the packet loss might be something. Is there any way to rule out the internet connection being a problem on my end?

Download ookla's speedtest app on your phone (for some reason their website speedtest doesn't show packet loss %) and look at the results. It'lll show you your upload speed, download speed, jitter and loss %

You'll most likely have jitter (which is fine, as long as it's under 50 ms) and your ping will fluctuate a bit. The key is the loss %. If that shows up with something it's on your end.

Run it a couple times and see what you get. i'm confident in saying it's probably on EA's end because the NHL games are the only ones to consistently give me trouble going back to the PS3 days, even with good internet. 5 to 6 percent loss means you should be having issues with all games and not just NHL as well.

Reactions: Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Download ookla's speedtest app on your phone (for some reason their website speedtest doesn't show packet loss %) and look at the results. It'lll show you your upload speed, download speed, jitter and loss %

You'll most likely have jitter (which is fine, as long as it's under 50 ms) and your ping will fluctuate a bit. The key is the loss %. If that shows up with something it's on your end.

Run it a couple times and see what you get. i'm confident in saying it's probably on EA's end because the NHL games are the only ones to consistently give me trouble going back to the PS3 days, even with good internet. 5 to 6 percent loss means you should be having issues with all games and not just NHL as well.
Ran it maybe a dozen times, with a few different servers, and 0.0% packet loss every time. 1-2ms jitter and a reasonable 20-30ms ping. I guess it's EA. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Blitzkrug

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Anyone else getting crazy lag lately? Every couple of seconds it freezes up a little, it seems like. I'm on the Xbox One, I'm wired in, and the only person in the house using the internet. I can play other games online without issues really, but I haven't had a lag free game of Online Versus in NHL19 in probably a week or so. Tried rebooting everything, tried different ethernet cables, even changed my WiFi password in case somehow someone else got in to eat up bandwidth. Wondering if it's me or EA.

Weird thing is, the network performance thing is always in the green, says like 20-25ms ping... which isn't bad I don't think. 4-6% packet loss (whatever that means).

It's the servers. I'm on PS4 and all week have experienced choppy and slow gameplay. Not worth getting on until fixed.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Trying to make as much noise as possible about marketing scam they made about legends

“With over 200 legends from multiple eras in hockey’s history, you can take Wayne Gretzky onto the ice and have him join a team with some of the sports' greatest players. NHL 19 also introduces Hero Teams that combine the top players from past and present to create the ultimate fantasy matchups between today’s superstars and yesterday’s legends. Available in single player and multiplayer modes, history is now at your fingertips.”

How you won't assume that all this was just for that arcade bs HUT and some generic "legend teams"? I was fine with NHL 18 and now that I know I can't actually use legends how they are advertised. I feel scammed.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Just got this on a black Friday deal. Is the absurd number of penalties normal? I've played with the sliders so that they should be non existent but still every poke check, me or the computer, is a tripping. Games are taking 30 minutes+ and every game is finishing like 11-7 on Superstar.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Just got this on a black Friday deal. Is the absurd number of penalties normal? I've played with the sliders so that they should be non existent but still every poke check, me or the computer, is a tripping. Games are taking 30 minutes+ and every game is finishing like 11-7 on Superstar.

The number of penalties has been ridiculous for years now. A real life ref would never give one team back to back 5 on 3s, yet this is a normal occurence in the EA games. I've mostly stopped using the poke check or stick lift buttons at all because of the automatic penalties, and just use the skill stick to play defense.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The number of penalties has been ridiculous for years now. A real life ref would never give one team back to back 5 on 3s, yet this is a normal occurence in the EA games. I've mostly stopped using the poke check or stick lift buttons at all because of the automatic penalties, and just use the skill stick to play defense.

Did you play NHL18? It was pokecheck central.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just want to say, I finally got NBA2K18 and i must say, if EA can implement that system in NHL, 99%people will preorder the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad