OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Always good to send the Gunners to their worst PL start in 26 years....

True, but I thought Arsenal looked pretty good minus Ozil who looked slow, apathetic, and generally terrible. They missed a bunch of point-blank chances. I thought it Mkhitaryan's best game in a Gunners uniform. Arsenal fans should feel somewhat encouraged, I think, despite the lack of results.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
True, but I thought Arsenal looked pretty good minus Ozil who looked slow, apathetic, and generally terrible. They missed a bunch of point-blank chances. I thought it Mkhitaryan's best game in a Gunners uniform. Arsenal fans should feel somewhat encouraged, I think, despite the lack of results.

Was crazy how many point blank beauties they shanked. Ozil so meh for so much talent. Acts like a guy who doesn’t love the game to me...

Announcers were pretty hard on Mkhitaryan until he buried one.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Clearly was, but the offsides goal disallowed was razor close....VAR something something....

You get you give sometimes....

Per the round table discussion this morning pre-game, it seems to be a contested subject. They say clubs will consider that a no-goal but by the rule an unintentional hand ball like that is still legal. I guess his arm position being there to break his fall and not in an unnatural position made it unintentional and therefore legal.

Seems odd. Ball going wide is knocked in by a player diving for a header of his own free will, and because of his action the ball goes in. Good goal. Doesn't sit right.

From a pure rules standpoint then, why ever play a wide ball up high when you have so many striking possibilities down low (feet, diving header, incidental hand and arm contact)? A high ball is only played by the head (excepting the rare bicycle) and requires the arms stay down. You also become vulnerable to the goalie stepping out and punching it or catching it, and defenders holding you down.

I don't know if teams would think this way and start throwing 3-4 players into diving headers hoping for a hand deflection when so much SKILL is also available, but it's there.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know if teams would think this way and start throwing 3-4 players into diving headers hoping for a hand deflection when so much SKILL is also available, but it's there.

As a defender depending on the distance the ball is traveling it is significantly easier to cut out a low ball than a high ball.

Also the goal you are talking about came in high to low. It went over the defenders and then dipped and the two attackers both made diving header attempts. Teams are already trying to play that ball in all the time but it just isn’t that easy. It usually gets blocked by the defense because it isn’t high enough or is too high and the goaltender is the only who can get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad