OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Saw that.....the lad CAN still run!

Not sure why that's damning for MLS though...that service was sick from where it came from and after that goal saving tackle.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Not sure why that's damning for MLS though...that service was sick from where it came from and after that goal saving tackle.

Just intuits to a bad play defensively. How often to you see that long a ball end up in the net in the more elite leagues? It was essentially 4 charging players pressuring the position of one defender, and the goal scorer may even have been offside.

On the other hand, the defense was down a man and they were in the 96th and final minute, probably thinking they could make a rush or watch the clock run out.

Either way seems like bad defense when the ball travels clear over 1/4 of the pitch over more than 1/2 your team and ends up as a barely contested header in the net.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
but yeah, great hustle by the old coot. was he a sub or did he play the whole game?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just intuits to a bad play defensively. How often to you see that long a ball end up in the net in the more elite leagues? It was essentially 4 charging players pressuring the position of one defender, and the goal scorer may even have been offside.

On the other hand, the defense was down a man and they were in the 96th and final minute, probably thinking they could make a rush or watch the clock run out.

Either way seems like bad defense when the ball travels clear over 1/4 of the pitch over more than 1/2 your team and ends up as a barely contested header in the net.

I watch a ton of Euro football now. Shit D play happens all the time at all levels. How do you think Tim Weah just scored his first league goal for PSG?

I’m not into taking shots at MLS or any other league over one play. I mean we all know it’s a step down right? Don't want a whole argument, was just cool to see Rooney try hard and succeed again even for one play.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I watch a ton of Euro football now. **** D play happens all the time at all levels. How do you think Tim Weah just scored his first league goal for PSG?

I’m not into taking shots at MLS or any other league over one play. I mean we all know it’s a step down right? Don't want a whole argument, was just cool to see Rooney try hard and succeed again even for one play.

I'm not an expert, I'm just presenting what I see and trying to understand. I don't watch enough MLS to laud or trash it. More into intl. competition.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Because if Rooney could make that play in the Premier League he would still be in the Premier League.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because if Rooney could make that play in the Premier League he would still be in the Premier League.

Not really. He’s not going to go play for a bottom-6 team....but he still could. Whatever though if you wanna knock MLS off of one play, your prerogative.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Not really. He’s not going to go play for a bottom-6 team....but he still could.

He's not going to play for a bottom 6 PL team but he will play for a bottom 6 MLS team...

I have no issue with MLS. Just pointing out the obvious difference in talent level between the two leagues. Washed up PL players like Rooney and Zlatan are owning MLS.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's not going to play for a bottom 6 PL team but he will play for a bottom 6 MLS team...

I have no issue with MLS. Just pointing out the obvious difference in talent level between the two leagues. Washed up PL players like Rooney and Zlatan are owning MLS.

You’re acting like he was dropped into a bad situation. It was a team in a big market with a vacuum in the Star category. Looking like instant success to me. Everyone clearly realizes a drop off exists. MLS lacks elite offensive talent that’s why Ibra and Rooney can still tear it up. They still have the skills, just not the pace anymore.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Rooney to DC United is great. I used to be a pretty big fan of the team back when I was playing soccer in high school and they were a powerhouse but I have paid more attention to them in the last two months than I have in the past 10 years. Between Rooney and the new stadium there is a buzz around the team that has been non-existent in quite some time.

As for the team itself: they are unbeaten in their past four games, have moved up from 3 places on the table from last to 8th (top 6 qualify for the playoffs), sit 6 points out a playoff spot with 2-4 games in hand on the rest of the conference, and play 10 of their final 13 games at home. I'll be following along as they hopefully push for a playoff spot.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You’re acting like he was dropped into a bad situation. It was a team in a big market with a vacuum in the Star category. Looking like instant success to me. Everyone clearly realizes a drop off exists. MLS lacks elite offensive talent that’s why Ibra and Rooney can still tear it up. They still have the skills, just not the pace anymore.

Playing for a team with a brand new stadium isn’t a bad situation but DC United haven’t been a top MLS team in some time.

My original comment was not about DC United. It was about the play Rooney made and how it shows the significant gap in talent level that still remains between the MLS and PL.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've taken better penalties than Kenedy just took. You get a PK in the 96th minute down a man with a chance to steal three points on the road and that's your best effort? Woof.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've taken better penalties than Kenedy just took. You get a PK in the 96th minute down a man with a chance to steal three points on the road and that's your best effort? Woof.

Riding two horses. Afraid to miss the net entirely but didn't want to risk the cheeky shot up the middle either. Split the difference, got beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->