OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Is there ever a point in the year when futbol isn't being played?

That really depends on what you are asking. The European club season typically runs August to May. The Italian League which is usually the last to end finished up Sunday. The Europa League final is Wednesday and the Champions League final is Saturday and that will bring the ‘18-‘19 European club season to a close.

But the big international tournaments are usually in June and July. South America’s Copa America is this summer and just to make it confusing again next summer so they can get it aligned with the European Championships, which are every 4 years with the next one in 2020. And of course the World Cup is also every 4 years staggered from the European Championships with the next one in 2022.

And that doesn’t take into account the way the other continental federations run their club seasons or how MLS doesn’t pay attention the international calendars at all.

So bottom line is that there really isn’t a time in the year when soccer/futbol isn’t being played.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That really depends on what you are asking. The European club season typically runs August to May. The Italian League which is usually the last to end finished up Sunday. The Europa League final is Wednesday and the Champions League final is Saturday and that will bring the ‘18-‘19 European club season to a close.

But the big international tournaments are usually in June and July. South America’s Copa America is this summer and just to make it confusing again next summer so they can get it aligned with the European Championships, which are every 4 years with the next one in 2020. And of course the World Cup is also every 4 years staggered from the European Championships with the next one in 2022.

And that doesn’t take into account the way the other continental federations run their club seasons or how MLS doesn’t pay attention the international calendars at all.

So bottom line is that there really isn’t a time in the year when soccer/futbol isn’t being played.

To add another layer the North American season is held over the summer. The MLS runs from March to October and the CONCACAF Gold Cup is in June this year. It really is year round and the elite European players who play for both club and country and whose clubs go deep in Euro tournaments can have little or no break between seasons.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Global sport. Great thing about it.

Women's WC coming up soon. USWNT should win if they can keep the killer instinct in finishing, and if their back line stands up. The friendlies I've seen they haven't been that sharp and although they play most of the match in the offensive end the chances the other way are often very dangerous due to defensive unreadiness and what looks like bad communication or nerves.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Chelsea/Arsenal are on TNT right now in the Europa League Final.

Arsenal looking good so far but they can quickly give up goals in bunches.

Have hardly noticed Ozil on the field. He needs to create for Auba and Laca for them to have a chance.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As predicted, the Arsenal defensive collapse. They'll need to really revisit several of their key pieces this summer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m happily surprised. Big way for Hazard (and Sarri) to go out.

Lots of other guys stepped up huge today. Giroud, Pedro, Kovacic, Kanté....back 4 was as solid as it’s been all year.

If not for a few huge Petr Czech saves, Chelsea scores a few more.

I thought Lacazette was good, and Ozil was invisible. Arsenal must dump him.

Reactions: g00n

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Didn't want to watch the 1st period., was watching other things. And I fell asleep in the 2nd half. Atmosphere was like it's a friendly game in July

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Eh, I've had some very good coaches do that after a bad loss. Sometimes you just want everyone to stew in it, and anything you say will detract from the necessary internal dialogue/mood that needs to sink in. Sounds like nobody was talking, not just Emery.

That said I'm still not sure about his fit with Arsenal.

That doesn't fly with me, not in this case. Not after a season-ending loss. Not after losing when the stakes were so high. Even though these guys are professional athletes they still need guidance, nurturing, encouragement, and development. They were also thoroughly out-coached and had it not been for Petr Cech they would have lost by even more, so for him not to speak to his players implies that he's putting the onus on them rather than taking accountability as the captain of the ship. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of molehill or maybe the story isn't properly reported but it's a really bad look here, in my opinion.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That doesn't fly with me, not in this case. Not after a season-ending loss. Not after losing when the stakes were so high. Even though these guys are professional athletes they still need guidance, nurturing, encouragement, and development. They were also thoroughly out-coached and had it not been for Petr Cech they would have lost by even more, so for him not to speak to his players implies that he's putting the onus on them rather than taking accountability as the captain of the ship. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of molehill or maybe the story isn't properly reported but it's a really bad look here, in my opinion.

In the locker room after a game there's always a mood. Just because he didn't talk then doesn't mean they didn't talk later.

Oates apparently never talked to the team after a loss. Not that I'm defending Oates. klalksdfja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad