Post-Game Talk: Disaster

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
We need to trade from strength to upgrade a weakness. One of Nylander or Marner will be out the door this off-season to bolster back end help
Leafs have the best first line in hockey - don't eff with that. So Nylander or, somehow, Tavares goes. Probably Nylander, easiest contract.

That said, this change won't happen on Dubas' watch, so HE has to get fired first. At the same time MLSE would have to fire Shanahan who has hung his Tam O'Shanter on Dubas' team building philosophy.

What a mess.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Expecting another 1st round loss at this point, and we're gonna hear it from everyone all over again for the next year. Sigh

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When you don't outscore your mistakes and breakdowns and your goalies surrender 4 goals against regularly these are the expected results.

Even though Leafs hit a 6 game non playoff team soft spot in the schedule against Buffalo, Vancouver, Columbus, Seattle, Arizona and Buffalo, where they should have been cruising through based on Q of C, however even the win against expansion Seattle seemed harder than it should have.

Leafs continue to play down to their level of competition and it has to be concerning to management and fans alike,

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
yes Lou is known for giving out good contracts, just look at the Islanders
You can diddle around in the microscopic detritus to find bits to tarnish Lou with, or you can rise up and look at the big picture of the man's effectiveness and success at building competitive hockey teams.

Seriously. Could Leafs post-season record be any worse with Lou in charge?

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Look at what happened to the Flames when they changed coaches.

Best team in Canada.
I've said this to myself for a long time. Now NYI are having a rough year but Trotz turned that team around in his first year. Look what Sutter is doing. Old school coach with a defence first attitude. What about Gerrard Gallant? Brindamour is an old school guy and Carolina has been a very good team since he was in there. I'm tired that Leaf Land thinks they know better. This doesn;t work, money ball or money puck, whatever you want to call it doesn't work. You need grit on a team, guys that can clear the net. You need some guys that can cause you know what on the ice. We have none of this

I'll say this and let all the young posters jump on me here. If we would have hired Lou with Hunter as an assistant we would have a cup right now. Lou has no problem turning over coaches, he did it in Jersey and won cups. Keefe is over his head and the GM does not understand how to build a cup team.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You can diddle around in the microscopic detritus to find bits to tarnish Lou with, or you can rise up and look at the big picture of the man's effectiveness and success at building competitive hockey teams.

Seriously. Could Leafs post-season record be any worse with Lou in charge?

Why does it always have to devolve into a Dubas vs Lou argument? Both guys have done good things and both guys have made mistakes.

Lou is gone, no point talking about hypotheticals.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
OMG another house league goal from Mrazek for da back breaker .. like I have said before 3 years of this guy was always a mistake .. Canes let him go for a reason .. 1 year would have been fine .. another bad decision from a kid rook GM wet behind ears .. also bad advice from Shanny clearly

But even with Woll in net that defense is not NHL caliber .. you can't hide 3 guys on an NHL defense and spread them over 3 pairings .. without a FIX by adding a top 4 dman with size speed and defensive toughness there is ZERO chance for any playoff success .. we also need 1 more defensive defender on top of that

Dubie can't FIX this mess .. at this point almost impossible to salvage this season unless Muzzy stays on LTIR .. really that is da only hope left .. but I am not really surprised as I told you guys Leafs would get off to a good start (they did a little better than I thought and Philli/Isles much worse than I thought) and then hang on .. for those of you who want a playoff matchup we will get wildcard now 99% chance (which I thought was 50/50) cause of drop off in Metro and Habs injuries

I hear Shanny is getting tired of his commute back and forth from his TO condo to States .. Dubie likely knows his time is up so he will trade away what he can to get what he thinks he needs .. but it will likely be minor moves that do not affect anything

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I'm not telling you what I want to happen, just what I think will happen. As for Keefe, I don't know what he is supposed to do with this roster. The goaltending is awful, the defense is young and error-prone and the overall roster lacks any kind of diversity. This isn't a contending team and I don't give a f*** about the standings or the talent on this roster. When the calendar flips and games get tighter the Leafs prove time and time again that they are not contenders.
Totally agree about Keefe. He is doing everything "fans" were screaming at Babcock to do. Geez, a coach does not scout and assemble the squad of players, that is the GM's role. Keefe was handed what, in hindsight, is a core of coach-killers.

An interesting thing is that Shanahan and Keefe, both scrappers in their day, have had to allow Dubas to geld the team because the king GM believes a non-physical-contact system is statistically superior for success. Sheldon Keefe is not responsible for the fact Leafs play like pansies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Shannys plan was to have both Lou and Dubas in management today with Dubas as GM and Lou in some made up position that pays well. They'd have converged somewhere in the middle. On their own they're struggling. I'm convinced at this point Lou only made it to the ECF because of conditions created through covid.

I'm a yes in the Dubas thread to begin the season, where 80% said fire him and 20% said they Beleaf. I was in the Beleaf crowd. But after 60 games + last 2 playoff losses I have to say this guy doesn't have a clue how to build a playoff team and after watching the Isles neither does Lou in the modern game. So get that guys name out of here too. But at least Lou knows how to pick out a coach.

I don't really care about the point pace or advanced stats this team is putting up. Key there is "this team" I definitely do care about advanced stats but they're heavily abused here and I notice people use them to cheat their way out of arguments.

There's only so much more I can take of that soft bottom 6 and having to cheer for guys like Holl Mik Simmonds (todays version) Spezza (today), Kase (if season was 20 games long he'd be fine) Engvall etc while guys like Marchment, kadri and even five hole freddy get pissed away for who he thinks is better to have on the roster.

It's only a matter of time before he gives in and does something stupid like trading Nylander and we have to sit here and watch Nylander meet his 90 point ceiling on another team that actually has the structure needed to play well in the playoffs. Maybe he's a Nylander homer, I don't know , the point is I'm simply losing trust in management.

Rant over. We're 8-10 in our last 18 back to the usual ugly hockey we've been putting up the last few years. Let me be angry for once, it's been 5 years of being a loyal homer. Time to call out what I think doesn't work.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Shannys plan was to have both Lou and Dubas in management today with Dubas as GM and Lou in some made up position that pays well. They'd have converged somewhere in the middle. On their own they're struggling. I'm convinced at this point Lou only made it to the ECF because of conditions created through covid.

I'm a yes in the Dubas thread to begin the season, where 80% said fire him and 20% said they Beleaf. I was in the Beleaf crowd. But after 60 games + last 2 playoff losses I have to say this guy doesn't have a clue how to build a playoff team and after watching the Isles neither does Lou in the modern game. So get that guys name out of here too. But at least Lou knows how to pick out a coach.

I don't really care about the point pace or advanced stats this team is putting up. Key there is "this team" I definitely do care about advanced stats but they're heavily abused here and I notice people use them to cheat their way out of arguments.

There's only so much more I can take of that soft bottom 6 and having to cheer for guys like Holl Mik Simmonds (todays version) Spezza (today), Kase (if season was 20 games long he'd be fine) Engvall etc while guys like Marchment, kadri and even five hole freddy get pissed away for who he thinks is better to have on the roster.

It's only a matter of time before he gives in and does something stupid like trading Nylander and we have to sit here and watch Nylander meet his 90 point ceiling on another team that actually has the structure needed to play well in the playoffs. Maybe he's a Nylander homer, I don't know , the point is I'm simply losing trust in management.

Rant over. We're 8-10 in our last 18 back to the usual ugly hockey we've been putting up the last few years. Let me be angry for once, it's been 5 years of being a loyal homer. Time to call out what I think doesn't work.
I always wondered what an angry emotionally driven rant would look like from one of the Beleafers. I mean you hit every side in this that literally every pro or anti-leaf poster can come gunning for you :laugh:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I never have faith in these guys winning outdoor games soooo didn't really surprise me yesterday.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Maybe the most perplexing thing of late, other than the goaltending, is that despite our poor record the last 15 games we’ve played, we have beaten every playoff team we faced…

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Perhaps his style of play is not suited for the way the Leafs play D ?? Seems our Anderseven is able to keep opponents around 2 GPG playing behind the Canes D which some claim is worse than ours. LOL. Man some of the characters on this board a priceless.

There could be an element of that at play, sure, but it’s not Toronto’s systems that are making Mrazek leak a goal through him from the side wall at nearly the goal line. The guy is simply performing well below his capabilities and what he’s previously shown over the past decade

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There could be an element of that at play, sure, but it’s not Toronto’s systems that are making Mrazek leak a goal through him from the side wall at nearly the goal line. The guy is simply performing well below his capabilities and what he’s previously shown over the past decade
House league goals like goal 1 in game 7 last year and 3rd goal yesterday can't happen in pro hockey .. simple stuff you learn in novice hockey .. hug da post and nothing goes in there

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

That was the Foudy goal from the opposite corner. I'm no goalie coach so we'll have to see if he can rediscover his game like Andy has. There is hope but with some tough games coming up, this could snowball quickly.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I have a good feeling about Kallgren. He doesn't need to be a superstar, he just needs to be steady, and that would be huge for this team down the stretch.

I don't disagree, they just need okay goaltending.

Less brainfarts from ALL the defensemen, and a little less loose play in the opposition zone.

Own zone I don't hold any hope out for, system is garbage.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The defense needs to be put on a tighter offensive, transition and puck management leash. Encourage more north straight line transition, put a limit to the east west and soft drop passes and cut down on those punch plays at the blueline. I’d sacrifice more chaotic offensive zone possession to have our Dmen focus on allowing the opposition team to exit the zone, let them have their exit but contain it in the neutral zone and be more positionally defending the dots. Protect the slot better. And the goaltending needs to be better. That’s a different technical question.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nobody cares about a game in March, but this embarrassment of late might be best long term. Dubas has to act now, the situation is so bad there’s no way he can pretend otherwise, big picture, Mrazuck’s performance has solidified reality. We ain’t winning shit with this tandem, there’s nowhere to hide anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: