Post-Game Talk: Disaster

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Advanced stats don't even translate to the playoffs lol. That's the fine print nobody is reading. Check the CF and xGF of some of the past cup winners. A lot of the game cannot be captured in advanced stats. Advanced stats are an aid for teams to use behind the scenes when you need information on demand. Somehow they've become currency around here. Any logical statement that makes perfect sense is contradicted by copying and pasting a stat :laugh: You don't even need to speak. Paste the stat and carry on.

People think Engvall and Miks straight line spin back high xGF will translate to the playoffs? Good luck with that. Look at the league. There is no parity. This is a 10 team league with 22 other teams waiting to get their own hands on a Marner or Kaprizov or Huberdeau etc. You really think it's that difficult for the top 1/3 teams to put up good advanced stats in the regular season? It's not. Playoffs exposes whose the pretenders and whose the real deal.

Leafs don't have "it" for the playoffs. We will require generational level play in all 4 rounds from both matthews and marner and at least one other player if we stand a chance to overcome how soft we are and how sloppy our D has become 5v5 and whatever old or average goalie they find for the playoffs. That is a ridiculous way to build a team.

*my use of the word translate means that their power to predict how a 82 game season goes loses all relevance in the playoffs. It doesn't mean mik and engvall or the team cant have a high xGF in the playoffs. The predictive power is lost in 7 game series, that's where the "it" comes in.
Agreed. Relying on advanced stats that apply to a watered down 32 team league is a pretty bad way to build a team. I see zero relevance in our stats when it becomes a 9 team league (+1 for west champ). Some teams lower than us in the standings are built better for the playoff grind. You would think 2 losses in a row to inferior teams would finally end the twin towers experiment in the bottom 6 and also get a real grit captain instead of simmonds.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
2 tough games coming up now with no Matthews. Going to need goaltending and some added scoring help!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
OMG another house league goal from Mrazek for da back breaker .. like I have said before 3 years of this guy was always a mistake .. Canes let him go for a reason .. 1 year would have been fine .. another bad decision from a kid rook GM wet behind ears .. also bad advice from Shanny clearly

But even with Woll in net that defense is not NHL caliber .. you can't hide 3 guys on an NHL defense and spread them over 3 pairings .. without a FIX by adding a top 4 dman with size speed and defensive toughness there is ZERO chance for any playoff success .. we also need 1 more defensive defender on top of that

Dubie can't FIX this mess .. at this point almost impossible to salvage this season unless Muzzy stays on LTIR .. really that is da only hope left .. but I am not really surprised as I told you guys Leafs would get off to a good start (they did a little better than I thought and Philli/Isles much worse than I thought) and then hang on .. for those of you who want a playoff matchup we will get wildcard now 99% chance (which I thought was 50/50) cause of drop off in Metro and Habs injuries

I hear Shanny is getting tired of his commute back and forth from his TO condo to States .. Dubie likely knows his time is up so he will trade away what he can to get what he thinks he needs .. but it will likely be minor moves that do not affect anything
Been dreaming about Hampus Lindholm on this team since Muzzin went down but I doubt Dubas has the balls to pull the trigger. He's committed to his boys and will die with them.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Our goalies have been trash for awhile now theres no debating that but we also rank #2 in the NHL in 5v5 defensive zone giveaways and only Montreal ranks worse.

This is also with having an offense that generates more Ozone posession time than basically any other team in the league.

Just for comparison's sake.

Leafs have 394 Defensive zone giveaways 5v5
TB have 195 Defensive zone giveaways 5v5

Our goalies definitely need to start playing better if we have any chance to win a few rounds let alone a cup but we also need to stop turning the puck over in our own zone so much.
Honestly shocked there isn't more of a difference.

But when you're running Liljegren, Sandin, Dermott and to a lesser extent Holl, you're bound to get muscled around in your own zone and have it be a turnover fest.

Bush league goaltending yes, but my biggest fear is bringing in a new goalie and having him plummet here as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Advanced stats don't even translate to the playoffs lol. That's the fine print nobody is reading. Check the CF and xGF of some of the past cup winners. A lot of the game cannot be captured in advanced stats. Advanced stats are an aid for teams to use behind the scenes when you need information on demand. Somehow they've become currency around here. Any logical statement that makes perfect sense is contradicted by copying and pasting a stat :laugh: You don't even need to speak. Paste the stat and carry on.

People think Engvall and Miks straight line spin back high xGF will translate to the playoffs? Good luck with that. Look at the league. There is no parity. This is a 10 team league with 22 other teams waiting to get their own hands on a Marner or Kaprizov or Huberdeau etc. You really think it's that difficult for the top 1/3 teams to put up good advanced stats in the regular season? It's not. Playoffs exposes whose the pretenders and whose the real deal.

Leafs don't have "it" for the playoffs. We will require generational level play in all 4 rounds from both matthews and marner and at least one other player if we stand a chance to overcome how soft we are and how sloppy our D has become 5v5 and whatever old or average goalie they find for the playoffs. That is a ridiculous way to build a team.

*my use of the word translate means that their power to predict how a 82 game season goes loses all relevance in the playoffs. It doesn't mean mik and engvall or the team cant have a high xGF in the playoffs. The predictive power is lost in 7 game series, that's where the "it" comes in.
Lol that's HF Leafs for you. As long as the advanced stats look elite the fans will happily play the merry-go-around with scapegoats.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
This loss reminds me of the Zamboni driver game right before the 2020 trade deadline. The sort of sobering loss that makes you second guess being a deadline buyer.

Reactions: geo25

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Been dreaming about Hampus Lindholm on this team since Muzzin went down but I doubt Dubas has the balls to pull the trigger. He's committed to his boys and will die with them.
Yes I expect da entire management/coaching team to be let go after our 6th 1st round exit .. da only question left is da Shanny go down with da ship or does he get a 2nd chance with a new group

Reactions: geo25

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes I expect da entire management/coaching team to be let go after our 6th 1st round exit .. da only question left is da Shanny go down with da ship or does he get a 2nd chance with a new group

I don't think anyone has done a bad job, but this is a results driven business, and if you can't get the results done, someone needs to be brought in who can.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is Shanny's 2nd group currently .. He started with Lou Lam and Babcock to set a new franchise record in points and team wins in a season. Everything was trending up in 2017-18.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This is Shanny's 2nd group currently .. He started with Lou Lam and Babcock to set a new franchise record in points and team wins in a season. Everything was trending up in 2017-18.
Yup and then the Shanaplan went off the rails with his promoting Dubas and Dubas wanting to make a big splash with the Tavares deal…….and here we are

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree. Time for Larry to make a clean sweep. Shanny will go back to working for da league as it is easy driving commute for him. Closer to his wife and kids so makes life easier for him. and he can make some nice coin selling his TO condo. and he can still do summers with his mom up in their house in Muskoka.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00