Post-Game Talk: Disaster

Scion

May 25, 2012
I can't even bring myself to get upset. This team is not good enough and we all know it. The organization has to get rid of the guys in charge in the summer and go from there. Other than that I feel like the only thing left to look forward to is Matthews pushing for 50+

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess this is just another loss in the regular season.

Honestly, kind of glad the boys are showing weaknesses now and hope they can fix it or improve on them for the playoffs.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Hey guys this is Kyle, I really believe in this core, and our goaltending is starting to come around. Now if you excuse me, I need to go trade the next 5 1st rd picks and our top 3 prospects to save my job, stay strong! Trust in dubie!

The guy from the Arkells (Dubas' friend) said Dubie is doing a great job.

If that's not an endorsement I don't know what is.

Reactions: hotpaws

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can't even bring myself to get upset. This team is not good enough and we all know it. The organization has to get rid of the guys in charge in the summer and go from there. Other than that I feel like the only thing left to look forward to is Matthews pushing for 50+

I think we need a dramatic cap clean up, but don't know how possible that is in this environment. Without that the next regime would be stuck cutting around the fringes like this current group. I think the team is competitive and very entertaining but if it wants to keep progressing to a championship level it needs to get rid of Tavares. He's just not an impact player.

Reactions: CDN24 and geo25

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think we need a dramatic cap clean up, but don't know how possible that is in this environment. Without that the next regime would be stuck cutting around the fringes like this current group. I think the team is competitive and very entertaining but if it wants to keep progressing to a championship level it needs to get rid of Tavares. He's just not an impact player.
They need to take one step back to move two steps forward. That means convincing Tavares to waive to go to a different team with a pick or retention for a late-round pick. I just don't see any alternatives that make sense.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
What has Gallant won at the NHL level? (and yes I agree he's good but if youre going to suggest winning pedigree, he has none)
I have far more confidence in Gallant (who at least got to the finals) than this guy who is learning the ropes at the expense of our best players prime years....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They need to take one step back to move two steps forward. That means convincing Tavares to waive to go to a different team with a pick or retention for a late-round pick. I just don't see any alternatives that make sense.

Yeah, I would just go to Tavares with an open and honest dialogue. We don't think this is working after so many years, can you work with us to find a solution? It just doesn't make sense that this entire era is going to be defined and limited based on one player like that.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I expect Dubas to make a trade to save his career, I certainly would in his position.
He'll squander valuable assets that'll hurt us to what extent? I'd fire the coach now for starters....

Scion

May 25, 2012
Yeah, I would just go to Tavares with an open and honest dialogue. We don't think this is working after so many years, can you work with us to find a solution? It just doesn't make sense that this entire era is going to be defined and limited based on one player like that.
And it's not just on Tavares, this whole salary structure is broken. You cannot construct a championship team with 50% of the money allocated on 4 forwards. If anything it's Dubas I place the brunt of the blame on. The roster and cap construction of this team are attrocious. Dubas ruined the best young core this team has had in my lifetime.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Meh, I think you are looking too far into one game outdoors. They didn't really play that bad. Couple bad goals, crap goal off Brodie, and that is the game.
A sign of things to come. Have lost all faith in the goalies, coach & gm (& president too). Team needs a new direction, voice & leader.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
You want him to fire his chosen coach that replaced the coach he fired because he did not see eye to eye on how to build a team ??? Good luck, if Kyle is going down with the ship, he is taking Shanny and Keefe with him.
I hope he does...

Scion

May 25, 2012
He'll squander valuable assets that'll hurt us to what extent? I'd fire the coach now for starters....
I'm not telling you what I want to happen, just what I think will happen. As for Keefe, I don't know what he is supposed to do with this roster. The goaltending is awful, the defense is young and error-prone and the overall roster lacks any kind of diversity. This isn't a contending team and I don't give a f*** about the standings or the talent on this roster. When the calendar flips and games get tighter the Leafs prove time and time again that they are not contenders.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I guess this is just another loss in the regular season.

Honestly, kind of glad the boys are showing weaknesses now and hope they can fix it or improve on them for the playoffs.

Homie, nothing is going to happen with this team in the playoffs. The goaltending has been atrocious for longer than it was good. The bulk of the offence is coming from our only elite line. Tavares has been useless in more games than not. Our defence has been bi polar. This is another first round loss type year. It's a flawed team.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not telling you what I want to happen, just what I think will happen. As for Keefe, I don't know what he is supposed to do with this roster. The goaltending is awful, the defense is young and error-prone and the overall roster lacks any kind of diversity. This isn't a contending team and I don't give a f*** about the standings or the talent on this roster. When the calendar flips and games get tighter the Leafs prove time and time again that they are not contenders.
Agreed. But, look at what the new coach in Calgary has done!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Another game, another time the other teams goalie made more saves then ours. Thought Petr played well until the wheels fell off on the 3rd and 4th goal, both need to be saved. This to me is probably the best team Toronto has iced in the 5 years since the core has been together and it's a shame the goaltending is going to be the downfall. Solid 3rd checking line that can chip in, PP and PK are both tops in the league, the PK has been our downfall the past two or three years.

Don't mind Matthews sticking up for himself and potentially getting suspended, its about time he and the other stars get into the game and protect themselves, cant get walked on all the time and you don't stick up for yourself.

We should have easily gotten 8 points out of this soft point of the schedule, and instead we were completely exposed in goal.
Good post. As frustrated I get with this damn team, by taking a step back, and despite our shortcomings in our defence and offence cores, if we just had normal NHL goaltending we probably even get more than 8 points!

Not sure what we do... Kallgren should at least get a look, can't be worse.

Thanks for dumping some reason on this board. I'm sure glad none of us are in charge of this franchise lol

Reactions: The Blueprint

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Only silver lining is Boston is guaranteed to pass us. There's no more if. They've been the best team in the East for a good stretch now. Analytical beasts and hard hitting team that can wear you down. If we faced them today we'd get swept 100%.

However in wild card we will hopefully get Florida. They will be easy for matthews and marner to light up, so maybe a first round win against them will give us that taste of blood needed to finally unlock our inner warriors and go on a deep run.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Agreed. But, look at what the new coach in Calgary has done!
Daryl Sutter may be the best coach in the game, I'm not going to hold Keefe to those standards. He's also got a goalie and let's be honest, without one it doesn't matter what kind of coach you are.

Reactions: geo25

Scion

May 25, 2012
Good post. As frustrated I get with this damn team, by taking a step back, and despite our shortcomings in our defence and offence cores, if we just had normal NHL goaltending we probably even get more than 8 points!

Not sure what we do... Kallgren should at least get a look, can't be worse.

Thanks for dumping some reason on this board. I'm sure glad none of us are in charge of this franchise lol
I've been here a while and the Leafs goaltending has been pinned as the reason the Leafs suck more times than I can count the last twenty years. I'm not absolving the goaltending, but if you think that is the only reason for this team's failures then you aren't learning from past failures, and you certainly are not the voice of reason.

Reactions: wingman75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad