Post-Game Talk: Disaster

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Any updates on Lil. Keefe seems like he's had enough of that very bad 5% side of his game that usually leads to goals against.

Still a big accomplishment for Lil to go from non-full time player to at least full time third pair for the playoffs. I agree he's not ready for top 4 in a world the cup is our goal. If this was still a "growth" year for us where just making the playoffs or stealing a round would be considered a success I'd be all for him in the top 4. I don't think there's enough games for him to clean it up. These opponents are easy mode right now, it's only going to get harder.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
I was only able to watch the first half of the game. The wife was in the kitchen and when she came out to check the score, was amazed it was still 0-0. "With all that swearing, I thought we were getting slaughtered"

We've been garbage this past month, many flaws - but it begins and ends with goaltending. Teams can't function with the sub-par crap we have been getting from Campbell/Mrazek. With the talent/firepower the team has, we were still getting points for a while, but that has run out now. A team gets deflated when the goaltending is this terrible.

Time for a Hail Mary - let Kallgren get a start, see if he can have himself a game and lift the team. If not time for a shake up including a coaching change.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Fundamentally, I'd say Dubas has rejected a lot of conventional wisdom building from the attack on backwards, and ran into cap crunch issues produced by the pandemic. He's done some good work backfilling the roster but we need blue chip pieces on defense and in goal to have a stable build that can win a number of different ways. Overall, I think we're a pretty good to great team with some very high end pieces and a lot of average parts that need to consistently play above value. Is that a fair ask or a stable build?

Medium picture, I think the organization needs to restructure a lot of its middle class contracts. Muzzin, Brodie, Mrazek, Kerfoot, Holl could all be moved out to create a clean cap sheet to rework a lot of the middle roster. Get a little younger, hungrier, very open ended.

Big picture, I don't think we can really get better than what we are now with John Tavares' contract. If we didn't have that contract this team would have such a new lease on life.
A normal, realistic post..... thank you.

Reactions: geo25

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not telling you what I want to happen, just what I think will happen. As for Keefe, I don't know what he is supposed to do with this roster. The goaltending is awful, the defense is young and error-prone and the overall roster lacks any kind of diversity. This isn't a contending team and I don't give a f*** about the standings or the talent on this roster. When the calendar flips and games get tighter the Leafs prove time and time again that they are not contenders.
Look at what a coaching change did for Calgary!

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man this season is chalked. Leafs are no worse than the Oilers. A great potential season thrown away because we get some of the worst goaltending ever. In hindsight, signing Tavares completely f***ed the make up of this team and plan going forward. I honestly believe the Leafs would be in a better situation right now if he was never signed.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Good post. As frustrated I get with this damn team, by taking a step back, and despite our shortcomings in our defence and offence cores, if we just had normal NHL goaltending we probably even get more than 8 points!

Not sure what we do... Kallgren should at least get a look, can't be worse.

Thanks for dumping some reason on this board. I'm sure glad none of us are in charge of this franchise lol

Some people need to step back and look at the roster and the good things the Leafs actually do, 5th place in the entire NHL and still winning games with under .900 goaltending since December. The fact they are still winning games with that alone is impressive, most teams would not win with such poor goaltending.

Are the Leafs perfect? no, and do they need couple players to take it to the next level? yes. A top 4 d-man would go a long way with this team, but that can be acquired at the deadline, but the amount of bad routine saves that have gone past our goalies has been mind boggling. A majority of the bad goals should be saved by a goaltending giving us average goaltending.

I think the biggest need/change on the defense is more players that can take away the body and sticks to prevent more tip ins and screens. Too many puck movers like Sandin/Lilly/Dermott in the lineup at the same time right now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Some people need to step back and look at the roster and the good things the Leafs actually do, 5th place in the entire NHL and still winning games with under .900 goaltending since December. The fact they are still winning games with that alone is impressive, most teams would not win with such poor goaltending.

Are the Leafs perfect? no, and do they need couple players to take it to the next level? yes. A top 4 d-man would go a long way with this team, but that can be acquired at the deadline, but the amount of bad routine saves that have gone past our goalies has been mind boggling. A majority of the bad goals should be saved by a goaltending giving us average goaltending.

I think the biggest need/change on the defense is more players that can take away the body and sticks to prevent more tip ins and screens. Too many puck movers like Sandin/Lilly/Dermott in the lineup at the same time right now.

Yes, better goaltending would make a huge difference, it would help cover up the horrible play in their own zone.
They have elite offensive players, that's why they're 6th. in the league.

Reactions: CDN24

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We need to trade from strength to upgrade a weakness. One of Nylander or Marner will be out the door this off-season to bolster back end help

It's 88.

I was pumping his tires at the beginning of the year, he looked like the same guy from last year's playoffs.

I want to say around the time that the covid break concluded he's looked like a massive floater.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm of the mind that 90% of our problems are goaltending related. But my goodness, what a problem it has become. Our defense has taken a big step back, but the goaltending is what's costing us the points.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
this makes no sense
Let me explain to you baseball guys.
There should be 6 guys who make a very good living working hard, score the odd goal, throw some checks, play excellent defense and protect the stars. Without AM and MM they do not have a job.
Not 1 defended AM. Fire the coach for not insisting these guys do the job.
Plain enough for you.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Goaltending didnt cost leafs yesterday, this game should be already 3-0after 1 and like 5 goal against after 2 without mrazek. Yes he gave up a weak goal but at the end, the result really illustrate this game.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Look at what a coaching change did for Calgary!

Coaching will work if you got the right piece in place... you replace keefe and you still with only 2 top 4 level dman (brodie and muzzin) defensive side of the game.

If you dont have enough d good defensive side, you can take barry trotz as a coach you will still looking bad because you dont have tool for it.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
lots fan wait all week for this game. hockey night canada delay for sunday game. team like carolina take fan orient thing like this serious, show up for fan.

playing field even for game. buf have to play same condition why sudden excuse oh outside game bad ice wind. leaf better team, even condition, should win. no heart on this team. dont show up for big event. two tall guy in bottom 6 are soft puff. oh he tackle someone end game after 10 year, big deal. the other one allergic to board and play one hand on stick. quinn would vomit if see 4th line.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Have the Leafs been losing 'moment' games all year?? I recently read a thing on this. Does this matter or are these just snapshots across a season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Let me explain to you baseball guys.
There should be 6 guys who make a very good living working hard, score the odd goal, throw some checks, play excellent defense and protect the stars. Without AM and MM they do not have a job.
Not 1 defended AM. Fire the coach for not insisting these guys do the job.
Plain enough for you.

Not a baseball guy, so easy on the belittling commentary.

And it still doesn't make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad