Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'd be making calls now if I were AA. Yankees losing Sabathia, Boston and Tampa slumping, being .500, you're in the race in the AL East means the division is ready to be taken.

I'm sure he's making calls, and willing to listen, but its very early, and there aren't alot of options out there that aren't going to cost you a kings ransom.

Plus, its alot easier to be in the thick of the race at the end of summer and trade good prospects to beef up your rotation than do it when the picture is still very murky and have it backfire.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm sure he's making calls, and willing to listen, but its very early, and there aren't alot of options out there that aren't going to cost you a kings ransom.

Plus, its alot easier to be in the thick of the race at the end of summer and trade good prospects to beef up your rotation than do it when the picture is still very murky and have it backfire.

Not to mention with the Yankees hurting, the Red Sox hurting, and the Rays hurting, prices are going to be ridiculous.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
EE has been on a tear, glad to see he's rolling after his (typical) slow start

This is the type of outing I'd expect from Happ on a regular basis, with the odd good start mixed with terrible start in between .. Need the offense to help like it did - another pitcher would be key though if this team keeps up in the race as the season progresses

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would be smart to add a guy to our rotation. Likely won't be able to until early July most likely though

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Standings are still tight .. Need to wait until some teams fall out so more arms are available otherwise, as mentioned above, the prices will be too damn high

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
If they're in a playoff spot at the deadline they shouldn't be moving a bat.

Thats when its prospect trading time, basically anybody not named Stroman or Sanchez for pitching help.

Osuna, Norris, Jimenez etc. There will be a bottom feeder out there who is ok with rebuilding with guys in the low minors. May not get you a stud, but you could get an expiring middle of the rotation guy.

Lots of possibilities, lets jut hope were sniffing the playoffs in fall.

I wouldn't trade the guy with 8 starts and a 0.90 era. I don't know the prospects inside and out, but Norris seems like a keeper. Started off terribly in his minor league career but has fixed things and is rolling. Like seeing players push past adversity like that.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't trade the guy with 8 starts and a 0.90 era. I don't know the prospects inside and out, but Norris seems like a keeper. Started off terribly in his minor league career but has fixed things and is rolling. Like seeing players push past adversity like that.

Agreed, Norris pitching very well, and really itll be tough to part with any of those guys but again you've got to give to get.

So sure you're not trading him for a back end guy like say Jason Hammel, but if you get a chance to add a Cueto or Shields (or better yet someone with control left) then you probably have to consider it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sooooo..I know it's still really early but we're tied with the Yankees for the 2nd WC spot ;). If we can stay in this position a month from now AA better be on the phone getting some insurance on pitching or the BP.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Man the AL blows. The standings look awful right now outside obviously of the Jays, Angels, Yankees, Oakland, Detroit. Everyone else is just mediocre to just bad. Heck even looking at the NL, some of those records are just mediocre. A lot of mediocre teams so far. It's still early though but a ton of teams are under .500 right now.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Man the AL blows. The standings look awful right now outside obviously of the Jays, Angels, Yankees, Oakland, Detroit. Everyone else is just mediocre to just bad. Heck even looking at the NL, some of those records are just mediocre. A lot of mediocre teams so far. It's still early though but a ton of teams are under .500 right now.

I think the abundance of injuries throughout the league so far this year has really had an affect.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

Exactly. This is AA we're talking about, he's got every GM and their mother on speed dial.

Most front offices are focused on the draft at this point. We likely won't see any major moves until after that at the earliest. Someone like Samardzija could likely be had now for the right price, but someone like Shields would have to wait until closer to the deadline when the Royals know for sure whether they'll be in the thick of things or not. Then there's always guys like Jason Hammel, but I'm not sure he'd be enough of an upgrade at this point to be worth it.

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
Agreed, Norris pitching very well, and really itll be tough to part with any of those guys but again you've got to give to get.

So sure you're not trading him for a back end guy like say Jason Hammel, but if you get a chance to add a Cueto or Shields (or better yet someone with control left) then you probably have to consider it.

If Norris keeps this up much longer, I might move him ahead of Sanchez on the prospect charts.

If we're going to go all in on a pitcher, I'm hoping it's Cole Hamels. Fastball velocity is the same this year as it was in his rookie season (it's actually 0.1 MPH faster) and his peripherals look solid to me.

Owed $90M over next 4 seasons plus team and vesting options for 2019. Not picking up next year's options for Morrow, McGowan and Santos should cover most of that for next year and we'd have Romero off the books the year after.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
If Norris keeps this up much longer, I might move him ahead of Sanchez on the prospect charts.

If we're going to go all in on a pitcher, I'm hoping it's Cole Hamels. Fastball velocity is the same this year as it was in his rookie season (it's actually 0.1 MPH faster) and his peripherals look solid to me.

Owed $90M over next 4 seasons plus team and vesting options for 2019. Not picking up next year's options for Morrow, McGowan and Santos should cover most of that for next year and we'd have Romero off the books the year after.

Would be nice, but have you heard anything about him being available? All the speculation I've read has been about Cliff Lee.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Would be nice, but have you heard anything about him being available? All the speculation I've read has been about Cliff Lee.

Hamels is unfortunately the last piece on that roster that they're looking to move.

I've noticed MLB.com's top prospects list has been updated. Sanchez moved from like 23 to 20, Stroman from the mid 50s to 48, Osuna at 81 and Daniel Norris is now added to the list at #100.

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008

If we're giving up premium assets, I'd rather it be on someone a little younger than Cliff Lee. Lee also just hit the DL with an elbow flexor strain and just went in for an MRI. He supposedly won't require Tommy John surgery but may still be out for a while.

I haven't heard of Hamels being available but you'd figure something has to give in Philadelphia eventually.

3rd highest payroll in baseball and over $100M committed to 7 players who are 34 or older (Howard, Utley, Ruiz, Rollins, Byrd, Lee and Burnett).

Considering their record and the declining health/production of their roster the past few seasons, I think dealing Hamels would get them the best return and speed up their much needed rebuild.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Hamels won't fit into the Jays budget

Unfortunately there isn't much out there this year in terms of upcoming FA's, since 22-25 teams will be within shouting distance for the next little while.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If Hamels is available, I think the fact that we have some salary relief coming up in the Santos, Janssen and Melky contracts would allow for us to take on his pay this year. Heck, if we have to move Happ + an expensive pen arm to make the room if there was a chance of us getting him.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
If Hamels is available, I think the fact that we have some salary relief coming up in the Santos, Janssen and Melky contracts would allow for us to take on his pay this year. Heck, if we have to move Happ + an expensive pen arm to make the room if there was a chance of us getting him.

Agreed, plus the consensus seems to be that Rogers would be willing to open up the pockets if the team is in contention.

It will be interesting to see who's available, and see how AA finds the balance between giving up assets for an expiring deal vs getting someone with yrs left

Last edited:

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
Hamels won't fit into the Jays budget

Unfortunately there isn't much out there this year in terms of upcoming FA's, since 22-25 teams will be within shouting distance for the next little while.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we would have to wait until the off season.

I see us rejecting the options/paying the buyouts on Morrow, Santos and McGowan which would free up $17.5M, though Reyes and Buerhle will eat $7M of that with their pay increases.

We'd have to increase the payroll slightly, but I think it'd be possible to re-sign Melky and Janssen and add a guy like Hamels. We just might have to replace Rasmus with the cheaper Gose to see that happen.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Hamels is unfortunately the last piece on that roster that they're looking to move.

I've noticed MLB.com's top prospects list has been updated. Sanchez moved from like 23 to 20, Stroman from the mid 50s to 48, Osuna at 81 and Daniel Norris is now added to the list at #100.

Pitching prospects are looking strong for this organization, with the likelihood of further enhancement after next month's draft. Now to work on the position prospects.

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
Pitching prospects are looking strong for this organization, with the likelihood of further enhancement after next month's draft. Now to work on the position prospects.

We've been linked to Trea Turner in the 1st round.

Don't know much about him, but his MLB.com scouting grades don't excite me (Hit: 50 | Power: 35 | Run: 80 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55). While he plays a premium position (SS), I'd rather we go after someone with a more complete hit tool (60 or higher) than another athlete with speed.

Alex Jackson is probably the only guy that fits that mold in the top 10, but he'll be long gone by the 9th pick.

Anyone here have any more info on Turner or some of the other hitters in the top half of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad