Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Cleveland won today on a 13th inning bases loaded walk off BALK

It just boggles the mind...

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Pompey goes 2-4, HR, 2B. He is starting to look really impressive. Hitting .329/.404/.509 /.914 on the season now in a tough hitting environment. He is showing more power than he did last year as he already has 5 homeruns compared to 6 last year. Striking out a bit less than last year too. He has also stolen 18 bases in 19 attempts and is reportedly good defensively at CF too. I was expecting a breakout season from high but even I didn't think he would be this good and he is looking like one of our best positional prospect (I think he is the best positional prospect we have).

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Pompey goes 2-4, HR, 2B. He is starting to look really impressive. Hitting .329/.404/.509 /.914 on the season now in a tough hitting environment. He is showing more power than he did last year as he already has 5 homeruns compared to 6 last year. Striking out a bit less than last year too. He has also stolen 18 bases in 19 attempts and is reportedly good defensively at CF too. I was expecting a breakout season from high but even I didn't think he would be this good and he is looking like one of our best positional prospect (I think he is the best positional prospect we have).

Great to hear!

How's DJ Davis looking?

And I haven't heard much about Osuna lately, how's he?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
why? what is that? why is that bad - do not understand?! lol

a balk is when the pitcher illegally moves on the mound, or throws to a base when his foot is on the pitching rubber, or something. There's like 10 different ways to balk, but essentially it involves intentionally or unintentionally trying to fake out a runner so you can pick him off, or keep him close to the base.

When called for a balk all runners on base get to advance to the next base, and since the bases were loaded and the game was tied in the bottom half of an extra inning, the runner at 3rd was awarded home to score a run and thus the game was over, the other team won.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If Gose continues to play well, does trading Colby get serious consideration? If so, what kind of return should we expect?

It could, however we've seen this story many many times before. Gose has a couple good games then reverts to his hack and slash ways (which is essentially Rasmus without the power). Only time will tell.

No idea on the return. Trades are so difficult to predict in baseball sometimes I don't even think about it all that much.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
a balk is when the pitcher illegally moves on the mound, or throws to a base when his foot is on the pitching rubber, or something. There's like 10 different ways to balk, but essentially it involves intentionally or unintentionally trying to fake out a runner so you can pick him off, or keep him close to the base.

When called for a balk all runners on base get to advance to the next base, and since the bases were loaded and the game was tied in the bottom half of an extra inning, the runner at 3rd was awarded home to score a run and thus the game was over, the other team won.

oh my. :laugh: yah that's not good then.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It could, however we've seen this story many many times before. Gose has a couple good games then reverts to his hack and slash ways (which is essentially Rasmus without the power). Only time will tell.

No idea on the return. Trades are so difficult to predict in baseball sometimes I don't even think about it all that much.

Very true, and there is no rush to move him. Gose has to prove himself, a good week or two shouldn't mean we just abandon Colby.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Imagine Jansen was never hurt and we didn't have to watch that pile of trash santos throw 4-5 games down the drain. We could be 4-5 games up on 2nd place.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It's a tough call, because then it becomes a question of whether or not Gose's phenomenal defensive abilities compensate for his lack of offensive production, especially with a stacked lineup like ours.

I think that AA needs to get a realistic idea as to whether or not he can come to terms with Rasmus on a contract extension before the trade deadline. If the two sides are too far apart, he should be moved for assets.

It's been speculated that the Jays aren't going to pony up for both Melky and Rasmus in the off season. If it comes down to one or the other, I think the choice is easy. Sign Melky and promote Gose.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If we make the playoffs I wonder if Rogers will raise the payroll even more next season. They would at least get a few gravy home games to fatten the wallets even more. Ticket sales/concession sales, beer sales, hat and jersey sales. You're looking at a couple of million bucks at the very least.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Great to hear!

How's DJ Davis looking?

And I haven't heard much about Osuna lately, how's he?

Like a guy who can't hit. He was drafted as a speedy toolsy outfielder who somehow has been caught stealing 9 times and has only stolen 5 bases. Strikeout rate is 34%. Lets just say he has to improve a ton.

Osuna is still recovering from TJ surgery. I think he might be back around August.

If Gose continues to play well, does trading Colby get serious consideration? If so, what kind of return should we expect?

Not really a fan of seeing Gose play everyday simply because I don't think he is good and having blackholes at 2B and CF can hurt the line-up. I wouldn't be completely opposed to it if they can get a 2B or a decent starting pitcher (might have to do a 3 way deal to pull it off). The return has to be worth more than a 1st round pick as that's what Jays would be looking at for compensation when he receives a QO.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Like a guy who can't hit. He was drafted as a speedy toolsy outfielder who somehow has been caught stealing 9 times and has only stolen 5 bases. Strikeout rate is 34%. Lets just say he has to improve a ton.

Osuna is still recovering from TJ surgery. I think he might be back around August.

Not really a fan of seeing Gose play everyday simply because I don't think he is good and having blackholes at 2B and CF can hurt the line-up. I wouldn't be completely opposed to it if they can get a 2B or a decent starting pitcher (might have to do a 3 way deal to pull it off). The return has to be worth more than a 1st round pick as that's what Jays would be looking at for compensation when he receives a QO.

What makes you think Gose isn't any good. If he can continue to do what he's doing over a longer period of time and be more proven to everybody then there is no doubt you move Colby for an upgrade somewhere else. There's no point in having both Colby and Gose when one would ultimately be better/cheaper over the other one. If we could get another starter i.e (Samardzija) for a package that includes Colby I'd do it.

Although Sarmardzija is going to give the Cubs a ton back in a trade. A ton!!! He's pitching like a true Ace, his numbers are ridiculous, it's too bad the team sucks so much and have blown so many great starts from him.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If we make the playoffs I wonder if Rogers will raise the payroll even more next season. They would at least get a few gravy home games to fatten the wallets even more. Ticket sales/concession sales, beer sales, hat and jersey sales. You're looking at a couple of million bucks at the very least.

Quick calculation would indicate a premium game Jays sellout brings in approximately $1.5M net in gate receipts, so add in a 20% escalator for playoff prices and you're looking at around $1.8M per game.

Conservatively, premium games bring in around an additional $600K in beverage/merchandise sales.

Not to mention the revenue spikes from exposure (see: Toronto Raptors)

If the Jays make more money, they will spend more money.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Not much difference between Gose and Rasmus IMO.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Personally I'd look to move Colby for a 2nd baseman like Kendrick, whether a three way trade would be necessary i dont know. Then I'd make a move for Shark, hopefully draft one or two stud pitchers in this draft so it will be easier to trade Norris/Osuna to get it done. Then you have a legit contender

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
What makes you think Gose isn't any good. If he can continue to do what he's doing over a longer period of time and be more proven to everybody then there is no doubt you move Colby for an upgrade somewhere else. There's no point in having both Colby and Gose when one would ultimately be better/cheaper over the other one. If we could get another starter i.e (Samardzija) for a package that includes Colby I'd do it.

He was hitting .236/.317/.336/.653 in his 3rd year repeating Triple A in 124 PA. Hit .239/.316/.336/.652 last year in 443 PA. Even when he hit in Vegas, it wasn't that impressive (basically what Adeiny hit with him as a comparison who can't hit either). Hasn't hit much better in his career in the bigs (.671 OPS). Good on him for hitting as well as he has so far this year in a tiny sample size but he hasn't done anything to show he can hit.

Jays are not getting Samardzija for Colby. Cubs won't want a rental.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He was hitting .236/.317/.336/.653 in his 3rd year repeating Triple A in 124 PA. Hit .239/.316/.336/.652 last year in 443 PA. Even when he hit in Vegas, it wasn't that impressive (basically what Adeiny hit with him as a comparison who can't hit either). Hasn't hit much better in his career in the bigs (.671 OPS). Good on him for hitting as well as he has so far this year in a tiny sample size but he hasn't done anything to show he can hit.

Jays are not getting Samardzija for Colby. Cubs won't want a rental.

I know that, I mean Colby in a package along with whatever else involved. The Cubs obviously are going to get a giant haul for him from someone. It's not like Colby is old or anything, he would immediately step in and help the team out and we'd probably have to pony up one of Sanchez/Norris as well. They're going to want Grade A top prospects from everyone who is serious. The guy is in his prime right now

Samardzija had a little test run tonight with the AL East and went 7 innings no ER against the Yankees. His ERA is down to 1.46. Just insane the way he's pitching right now.

Last edited:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I know that, I mean Colby in a package along with whatever else involved. The Cubs obviously are going to get a giant haul for him from someone. It's not like Colby is old or anything, he would immediately step in and help the team out and we'd probably have to pony up one of Sanchez/Norris as well. They're going to want Grade A top prospects from everyone who is serious. The guy is in his prime right now

Colby has almost 0 value in a deal for good MLB pitching.

He's an upcoming FA who even with a QO is likely to test the market. Anyone interested in his services presumably is looking to make a playoff push, and therefore not looking to trade away a premium SP that we need.

However, a three way deal isn't out of the question. Where we get prospects back for Colby, and consequently flip them for a good SP on a bad team.

Either way were getting way to ahead of ourselves, May isn't even over and Gose has only had a good couple weeks. I'd be more than happy when Ras is healthy to have Gose play the Rajai role, phing, spelling guys in the starting lineup, late game defensive replacement and obviously pinch running

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

I don't see Cubs wanting Colby at all. No compensation pick and they won't pony up a BJ Upton type contract to sign him. Jays could trade him to a 3rd team for prospect(s) which can be used in the deal. Don't think Norris is getting dealt, he has become the untouchable over Sanchez.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't see Cubs wanting Colby at all. No compensation pick and they won't pony up a BJ Upton type contract to sign him. Jays could trade him to a 3rd team for prospect(s) which can be used in the deal. Don't think Norris is getting dealt, he has become the untouchable over Sanchez.

Well when the Jays are calling about Samardzjia which I'm sure they have because they've been linked to him for the past year or so, who do you think they're going to ask for? Sure you may say " I don't think Norris will get moved" my answer would be for Samardzjia he would have to. I thought Colby could be a fit with the Cubs but I guess we'll have to move him somewhere else if Gose continues to play like this.

Samardzjia should be like 9-1 right now but he's 0-4..it's embarrassing the way the Cubs give him no support at all. 0-4 with an ERA of 1.46 LOL how is that even possible. Man Smardzjia...I feel for this guy, the sooner he gets traded the better it is for both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00