Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
And so I thought to look up Kendrys Morales.

Really surprised nobody has signed him? something wrong with him? or just asking way too much $$$?

Oh wait, compensation I guess as well? after june no compensation required when signing him?

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
And so I thought to look up Kendrys Morales.

Really surprised nobody has signed him? something wrong with him? or just asking way too much $$$?

Oh wait, compensation I guess as well? after june no compensation required when signing him?

Yep exactly the same situation as Drew.

He's going to have to wait and then he'll presumably be a hot commodity.

He's going to try and build his value for a multi yr deal this offseason, and because he signs late he won't have a comp pick attached at the end of the yr either

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Ya, in the end, he will proably do ok? once june rolls around I would assume his value will rise to some extent.

I would imagine so, a middle of the order bat that can be had for cash will be a big need. It's short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

The whole comp pick thing really favours the teams. Either the Mlbpa intervenes or agents are going to have to start advising differently.

It makes me mildly happy inside to see Scott Boras clients getting hit in the wallet. Hopefully gone are the days of Boras' mid level stars holding teams for ransom

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Wish AA was on that one .. Only 1 year...

I strongly suspect his Boston price tag was different than the others. Also, apparently AA/Beeston and Boras have a mutual dislike, coupled with a move to 2B would raise the price higher. Don't forget draft compensation.

Edit: Beaten to it by DJQ and topched.

As for Morales, his market is limited to the AL since no one believes he can play a position regularly. DH-types really should ALWAYS accept the qualifying offer. They're too replaceable.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Have to give the Rangers credit, it took them only 2 months to figure out that JP was horrawful, it took us 2 years.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I would imagine so, a middle of the order bat that can be had for cash will be a big need. It's short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

The whole comp pick thing really favours the teams. Either the Mlbpa intervenes or agents are going to have to start advising differently.

It makes me mildly happy inside to see Scott Boras clients getting hit in the wallet. Hopefully gone are the days of Boras' mid level stars holding teams for ransom

Boras should have learned after the Kyle Lohse almost-fiasco of last year. They lucked out when the Brewers ran into injuries and their owner intervened, demanding the signing. Boras gambled on an injury creating an opening again, but lost when the Tigers wouldn't play ball. Good on him, Boras isn't very likable.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Boras should have learned after the Kyle Lohse almost-fiasco of last year. They lucked out when the Brewers ran into injuries and their owner intervened, demanding the signing. Boras gambled on an injury creating an opening again, but lost when the Tigers wouldn't play ball. Good on him, Boras isn't very likable.

Totally agree. I have no problem when guys like Ellsbury are getting huge deals but when you've got a guy like Jayson Werth getting paid like a superstar then you have an issue.

Drew and Morales could have signed for reasonable 2-3 year deals this offseason for sure. But when a guy like Drew wants 40/3 it's no wonder he was left empty handed.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Stroman: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO. Gave up a 3 run shot in the 4th inning. Only threw 64 pitches (40 strikes) in the loss as they're obviously trying to stretch him out again.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Soon be time to move Upper Deck to Buffalo imo. He's been slow moving up with his struggles, and he's finally pitching well, move him up and see if he can continue to progress.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
How good would this rotation look if Ervin Santana had signed... Oh well, if the Jays are still in the hunt come the deadline, you gotta move a bat for an SP. Big if though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good way to start this series tonight, hopefully the Jays can take the series tomorrow :) Get some separation on the Red Sox

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
How good would this rotation look if Ervin Santana had signed... Oh well, if the Jays are still in the hunt come the deadline, you gotta move a bat for an SP. Big if though.

If they're in a playoff spot at the deadline they shouldn't be moving a bat.

Thats when its prospect trading time, basically anybody not named Stroman or Sanchez for pitching help.

Osuna, Norris, Jimenez etc. There will be a bottom feeder out there who is ok with rebuilding with guys in the low minors. May not get you a stud, but you could get an expiring middle of the rotation guy.

Lots of possibilities, lets jut hope were sniffing the playoffs in fall.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Thats when its prospect trading time, basically anybody not named Stroman or Sanchez for pitching help.

Osuna, Norris, Jimenez etc. There will be a bottom feeder out there who is ok with rebuilding with guys in the low minors. May not get you a stud, but you could get an expiring middle of the rotation guy.

Agreed. At the deadline you trade prospects.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

I'd be making calls now if I were AA. Yankees losing Sabathia, Boston and Tampa slumping, being .500, you're in the race in the AL East means the division is ready to be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad