Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to The New York Daily News, the Toronto Blue Jays probably need another front-line starter. An unidentified American League executive said that the Toronto Blue Jays would be for real if they are able to acquire Jeff Samardzija from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for Drew Hutchison as part of a package.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/harper-cubs-jeff-blue-jays-real-deal-article-1.1810874

Are the scorching Blue Jays for real?

“They are if they trade for (Jeff) Samardzija,†an American League executive said on Thursday. “And I’ve got to believe they’ll go hard for him. They went all in last year because they thought the division was there to be taken.

“Well, now it is, and they’ve put themselves in position, but they probably need another front-line starter. Why wouldn’t they do it?â€

This year, however, Dickey (5-4, 4.30) has bounced back from a mediocre 2013, and Thole was hitting .340 as the backup catcher, while d’Arnaud has yet to blossom.

Of course, if Syndergaard lives up to the scouting reports, he might just make the trade look bad for the Blue Jays for years to come.

“Don’t think Alex doesn’t know that, either,†said a fellow AL exec.

But would the Jays give up promising 23-year-old righthander Drew Hutchison, who has been solid for them in his rookie season? Baseball people feel they’d probably have to as part of a package for Samardzija.

It would be a gamble, especially if Samardzija could leave after next season. Then again, the real gamble was last year. Now the Jays have a shot at a payoff.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ Oldish news .. That package was reported awhile ago

Does not make any sense to make that deal ... Not only is Hutch pitching great this year, he's an integral part of the rotation - moving him to get Shark still means the Jays need another starter

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Hey guys,

According to The New York Daily News, the Toronto Blue Jays probably need another front-line starter. An unidentified American League executive said that the Toronto Blue Jays would be for real if they are able to acquire Jeff Samardzija from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for Drew Hutchison as part of a package.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/harper-cubs-jeff-blue-jays-real-deal-article-1.1810874

You are about a week behind the times hockeywiz :P

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the National Post, Toronto Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos insisted there was no discrepancy his comments to Gammons and to local reporters on Thursday.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...dent-rogers-will-listen-if-he-asks-for-money/

“We came into the season at the [payroll] number we expected to be at and as the year goes on, we have needs,” he said. “Depending on how we’re playing and what’s available, if we have a need come the trade deadline, I have every confidence we’ll have the resources to do that. I have no doubts about that at all.”

Earlier in the week, in an online story by Hall of Fame baseball writer Peter Gammons, Anthopoulos seemed less sanguine.

Gammons quoted the GM as saying this: “We are pretty much maxed out in terms of payroll, but more important, we cannot keep trading our young pitchers. We also have to be realistic about whom we can extend if we make a trade for him.”

Anthopoulos insisted there was no discrepancy his comments to Gammons and to local reporters on Thursday.

“We’re at a number to start the year,” he said. “I think that’s fair. I don’t think it varies from anything we’ve ever said. It’s always fluid. Even when we did the deals last year, we were supposed to be in an area and then something came up.”

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's Shi Davidi. I almost hold Eklund in higher regard than I do Shi.

That just knocked you down a peg

I so hope this is true.

EDIT: BBA in their latest mock draft still has the Jays drafting Turner at 9 and Hoffman at 11.

Sounds like everybody is hearing that the Jays are in on Turner. I honestly don't really mind the pick anymore, but they pretty much have to get a high upside arm like Hoffman with the other pick. Both players could probably sign for under slot too.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Toronto Blue Jays' hot start reason for optimism, not celebration in Toronto. There are no guarantees, of course, but the signs are very positive so far.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...eason-for-optimism-not-celebration-in-toronto

Of all the first-place teams, the biggest surprise has to be the Blue Jays. After a mostly quiet winter following their disappointing 2013 season and big trade with the Marlins, hardly anyone saw this coming.

The bigger question, of course, is whether they can keep it going.

"I'm holding my breath," said Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos, who has lived through a few disappointments before and has a sense of humor about it.

That includes the '13 season, when very little went right, or as expected. The Jays did win 11 straight games at one point and still managed to implode.

"Exactly ... and we saw how that worked out," Anthopoulos responded when the early '13 winning streak was mentioned to him.

"I'm just trying to ignore it, and not get emotionally involved," Anthopoulos added, continuing his abject honesty. "I've had my heart broken way too many times."

There are no guarantees, of course, but the signs are very positive so far.

The Jays entered the season in a seemingly tough spot, in what was considered baseball's best division. But in a switch the AL East is not living up to that status. The usual powerhouse teams are either currently afflicted by injuries or under-performance, allowing the Jays to forge a three-game lead over the Yankees, who have done a nice job just to be where they are considering all their aches and pains.

The Jays, meanwhile, are playing terrific baseball. Their lead is no accident.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
How deep is KC's pitching prospect pool? Because i don't think the Jays have any other substantial enough pieces outside of pitching prospects to even consider making a deal for Shields. (Not a knock on the Jays farm system, Shields is just going to cost a LOT.)

He'll easily net a top prospect and then some more on top of that. Big game pitcher, eats innings like there's no tomorrow, etc.

Better to go after a Shark, Lee or even Hammel.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
shields would be great but what would it cost? I mean they gave up Myers, Oddorizzi etc to get him thats a hefty package I don't see them parting with him for cheap

Thing is they may not have much of a choice.

Shields likely isn't returning to KC, so it's trade him for something or let him walk. Of course hell still command a good return but it won't touch what they gave up.

KC has been a pretender during the Shields tenure, gotta think they'll regret trading will myers once shields goes to the highest bidder this fall

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Do KC and the Jays make good trading partners?

Aren't both teams seem with pitching prospects but not necessarily with position prospects?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Shields has a proven AL East record, but his propensity to give up HRs is the only thing that scares me.

Whoever gets brought into the AL east will see an increase in HR/FB. It just comes with the territory of the opposition and ballparks involved. Shields would be an excellent addition.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
If we do trade for him, if we make the PO's Rogers had better back up a truck with all the money he wants right in his house.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Whoever gets brought into the AL east will see an increase in HR/FB. It just comes with the territory of the opposition and ballparks involved. Shields would be an excellent addition.

Yeah, I think he'd be a great add, but at the cost KC is going to ask for, we need to either be in 1st and/or have a guarantee he's coming back. I mean, I'm not scared to include Stroman or Sanchez in a deal for a guy like him, but only if we're going to keep him around for 3 years at least.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Stroman or Sanchez probably isn't enough for KC to pick up the phone in this case. They need prospects other than pitchers, iirc. Some team can easily come and outbid Toronto on Shields.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
shields would be great but what would it cost? I mean they gave up Myers, Oddorizzi etc to get him thats a hefty package I don't see them parting with him for cheap

Its not the job of other teams to undo the damage they made by trading Myers. He will not fetch that type of prospect in a package for only half a season.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Stroman or Sanchez probably isn't enough for KC to pick up the phone in this case. They need prospects other than pitchers, iirc. Some team can easily come and outbid Toronto on Shields.

You can never have too many great pitching prospects. They hold a lot more value as future trading chips as well

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
People, Shields isn't fetching the same package he did as a TB. He is a rental instead of a guy being traded with two years left on his deal. He'll fetch significantly less but it will still cost the Jays an arm and a leg.

I am of the mind who thinks the Jays need to make little tweaks here and there instead of bringing in a big deadline acquisition. I am hoping for someone like Jason Hammel, a middle reliever to deepen the bullpen and a decent 2B if possible.

Jays send down Rasmussen and call up Korecky. I don't get why Korecky, dude was up with the Jays in 2012 and threw 87mph fastball from the right side. He is kinda reallllllly bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad