Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
SwagDance3.gif

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Rogers had flashes of looking really, really good last year. Those have pretty much disappeared entirely this season.

and I know everyone likes ragging on that trade, but again it's not like anyone saw this coming for Gomes.

The issue was never whether anyone saw this coming. The issue was always that Gomes looked decent when he caught, but the team decided that they wouldn't try it because they had Arencibia and D'Arnaud. Because they didn't try it, Toronto didn't know what they had.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That predates me. I'll let you have this one, especially since saying Boston College would be obvious cheating :laugh:

My dad was a pretty big Argos fan and the way he talked about Flutie when I was really young was this whole adoration, like he was in awe of him. It's like that larger than life hero persona. Kinda the same for me and Sundin. Then I grew up, and had to understand things from a completely analytical perspective, and that has made me the cynical grump I am today. Well that, and seeing all the Toronto sports teams suck for most of my developing years. Right now, apart from the Raps and Argos (and Jays, if they keep this up), it's pretty much still a ****fest.

I swear, only Cleveland and maybe Minnesota are more tortured in sports than Toronto is (I know the Twins won WS's in 87 and 91, but we also won in 92 and 93, so that evens out).

Cleveland is so far ahead of every other city in terms of torture that it's not really a contest. It's like being 2nd on the all-time points list behind Gretzky.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Janssen is money. Rogers should only be used for mop up duty.

Keep it rollin'

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The issue was never whether anyone saw this coming. The issue was always that Gomes looked decent when he caught, but the team decided that they wouldn't try it because they had Arencibia and D'Arnaud. Because they didn't try it, Toronto didn't know what they had.

decent, but not "very good every day catcher". The scouting report on Gomes was that he was interesting as a quirky 1st/3rd/C utility guy, but he wasn't supposed to be starting material.

It's like piling on Pittsburgh and Baltimore and Tampa Bay and Kansas City for not knowing what they had in Jose Bautista.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Thank goodness. Can we please get rid of Rogers. Makes me feel almost as uneasy as when Santos is out there.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
decent, but not "very good every day catcher". The scouting report on Gomes was that he was interesting as a quirky 1st/3rd/C utility guy, but he wasn't supposed to be starting material.

It's like piling on Pittsburgh and Baltimore and Tampa Bay and Kansas City for not knowing what they had in Jose Bautista.

But we had a MASSIVE hole that someone who could play those positions could have filled

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yup just a week or so ago against the Phillies.

Nope. I think we had a chance if both Baltimore and NY lost today.

Tied for the division lead with Baltimore and New York atm. Baltimore is currently losing so it could be a 2 way tie at evenings end.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
have we swept a series yet?
... are we division leaders now?

Yup during our season high 5 games winning streak earlier this month, sweeping the Phillies 4 games (back to back 2-games series, their park and ours). Too bad we went on a 3 games losing streak right after that vs. Angels.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
3-way tie for the division lead now. What a 2 week span for this team! Gotta keep it up, and we have to avoid any type of long losing streak or multiple series losses.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is to Swervin81 who said that the Jays aren't one piece away.

We may not be 1 piece away but we also haven't made the playoffs in 20 years. i'd like to see some playoff baseball in my lifetime. If they go out and spend some high end prospects for Shark then I'm all for it. If we're in a playoff spot by the deadline, AA has to go for it. He has to add another starter, he can't be scared to spend the prospects. The opportunity for the playoffs can't be ignored just because you're really high on a Sanchez or Norris.

A possible rotation of: Shark, Buehrle, Dickey, Hutch, Happ (Morrow if he returns) is pretty damn good.

It's still really early but we have a 46.5% chance of making the playoffs right now according to ESPN, we're actually ahead of the Yankees and Baltimore in percentage points right now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/sort/playoffPercent/order/true

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA