Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
several things I've read recently have had Beede's stock absolutely imploding. He's in free-fall mode right now.

Yeah I haven't seen much in terms of positives in regards to Beede. Every new mock draft has him lower than the previous

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Does it make me a bad person for enjoying Beede's free fall? I hate when players spurn the Jays (or any Toronto team) and wish nothing good for them. Eat it, Beede.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Does it make me a bad person for enjoying Beede's free fall? I hate when players spurn the Jays (or any Toronto team) and wish nothing good for them. Eat it, Beede.

The funny thing is that it seemed everybody was calling it to happen. It just did not make any sense to turn down the money that was offered. Karsten Whitson knows that feel.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Wow they have Beede real low.

He's been falling for a while low. Some are predicting he might not get drafted in the 1st round at all.

several things I've read recently have had Beede's stock absolutely imploding. He's in free-fall mode right now.

Yup, everyone is citing his terrible command/control concerns. Keith Law is saying there are concerns with his make-up too. I don't get how any 1st round pick can turn down 1st round money.

The funny thing is that it seemed everybody was calling it to happen. It just did not make any sense to turn down the money that was offered. Karsten Whitson knows that feel.

Whitson has nearly disappeared too. I think he was a top ten pick when he got drafted and turned 2M+ down... which I don't get at all. I hope he fired his agent for giving him such bad advice.

He has started throwing well lately. I wouldn't mind the Jays taking a gamble with him with later picks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/intent-execution-and-edwin-encarnacion/

good read about how Edwin is crushing mistake pitches. The interesting thing is that basically all but 4 of the HRs he's hit were on pitches that were supposed to be low and away, but the pitcher blew it and left the ball in a much more hittable location.

Think about that low-away corner. Say you want to pitch Encarnacion in that low-away corner. Horizontally, it measures something like five or six inches. Vertically, it measures something like seven or eight or nine inches. Hold your hands out in front of you and approximate those dimensions. It’s a very small area, and then consider that pitchers are throwing from 60 feet away. The target area is smaller than an ordinary piece of paper, and if you miss, the pitch might be a ball, or the pitch might be a dinger threat. Pitches fly fast, and they move, and they don’t always move consistently or predictably. Twice on Thursday, James Shields missed his spots, but one has to remember that hitting spots is hard, and Edwin Encarnacion isn’t very forgiving.

In some sense, Encarnacion has been a mistake hitter. But for one thing, he’s also hit some non-mistakes, and for another, being a mistake hitter isn’t an insult, because pitchers constantly make mistakes. Because specific pitch targets are difficult to hit all the time. Encarnacion isn’t hopeless against pitches down and away. Yet even if he were, he’d still end up with plenty of pitches to handle, because that’s a small vulnerability. Against Edwin Encarnacion, pitchers and catchers always have a good-enough plan. Men make a lot of good-enough plans.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Yes it does, to wish ill will upon any teenager at that team reeks of being a butthurt fan. Remember a lot is not based on the player but his agent, he might be getting bad advice but at that time agents tell the kids what they want to hear.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Its absolutely 100% okay to enjoy Beede's freefall. He's still going to make hundreds of thousands of dollars on draft day, and he has a priceless (tehehehe) vanderbilt education.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yes it does, to wish ill will upon any teenager at that team reeks of being a butthurt fan. Remember a lot is not based on the player but his agent, he might be getting bad advice but at that time agents tell the kids what they want to hear.

LOL, man kids today need a good kick in the ass. I don't have kids nor do I plan on having kids any time soon but damn..can we not act like he's some poor little child. This guy and his agent were dumbasses for turning down 2.5 million dollars. Just complete embiciles. I don't want to hear about "to some people school is more important." If school is more important..I mean "getting book smart" is more important then playing pro ball and starting your career and getting a 2.5 million dollar bonus on the side then you're looking at life through the wrong set of goggles. This kid got bad advice from his family and his agent plain and simple. He's going to regret it IMO. His stock is free falling and he'll be lucky to get even 750k. He could've gone to school after his pro career if it was that important to him. I think the main thing was he thought he could go to school and raise his stock as a player and it back fired which looks good on him.

"To wish ill will upon a teenager reeks of being a butthurt fan." Ohh pleaseeee. Stop with the righteous speech. I wish he doesn't get drafted but that won't happen.

By the way he's 20/21 years old now so he's not a teenager.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Its absolutely 100% okay to enjoy Beede's freefall. He's still going to make hundreds of thousands of dollars on draft day, and he has a priceless (tehehehe) vanderbilt education.

LOLLL "Priceless education" Yesss ohh that college education so priceless that you turn down almost 3 million freaking dollars to start your professional career :shake head

Let's also not completely ignore the fact that he didn't go to school for his education, he went to school because he knew he got a free ride, and he got advice from his agent about raising his stock even more while playing his 4 years out..It back fired which looks good on him. No one should feel bad about enjoying this. He's going to make his money one way or another.

In my eyes he's not even a first round pick, but some team will take him. I almost puked when someone on here said they would take him at #9 or #11. YUCKKK!!! I want nothing to do with him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'll start worrying if we get swept.

Why? This is what I worried about with us fans after losing a few..It's 2 games after a 9 game winning streak..let's take a deep breath. Nothing has changed, it's a long season we still have 108 games left. Even if we get swept we will have 106 games left..There's so much time left in the season. Even the 9 game winning streak, it doesn't mean anything. We just have to keep playing our game and winning games. We still have 4 months left. I'll start getting anxious in August/September

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
In the draft projection they had they have Hoffman gone at 7.

Yes seen it, that would suck, but I smiled when I read the analysis of the Toussaint pick.

"This is Hoffman's floor" LOL Even they know that there is no way Hoffman gets past #11 if he doesn't get picked before that.

That is my dream scenario right now. #9 Touki Toussaint, #11 Hoffman..ahh man, two potential top of the rotation starters could be within reach in 6 days. We'd have the deepest depth in the minors with pitching prospects, it would be insane. I know I keep saying this but just look at this.

Sanchez, Norris, Stroman, Toussaint, Hoffman..one word..T.A.L.E.N.T That's a whole rotation and they all have high end potential. #1's and #2's

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Beede struck out 14 last night and looked absolutely dominant

So instead of getting $2.5M before, he'll likely get drafted in the high 20's and get his slot bonus of $1.9M or so, and he got to BMOC it up for three years and release an absolutely atrocious rap single. Not a bad tradeoff IMO

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Beede struck out 14 last night and looked absolutely dominant

So instead of getting $2.5M before, he'll likely get drafted in the high 20's and get his slot bonus of $1.9M or so, and he got to BMOC it up for three years and release an absolutely atrocious rap single. Not a bad tradeoff IMO

You're looking at one game. Before that he was walking guys like you couldn't believe. That's the thing with Beede he's very inconsistent, he reminds me a lot of Morrow in that sense. I wouldn't be willing to draft him in the top 20. Heck no. His control issues and inconsistency really worry me. This isn't some teenage kid who's having control issues. Beede has had 4 freakin years to develop at one of the best baseball schools in the U.S, and what's he done?? Nothing. He's the same pitcher he was back when we drafted him. That doesn't worry you? I rather take a high schooler like Toussaint or Hoffman and take my chances with them rather than take an inconsistent college kid who has control issues. Good luck to any team who takes him.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I don't mean this in a demeaning way, but you're not a MLB GM.

Beede is a lock to go in the first round, and frankly the high 20's is probably his floor. There's a non-zero chance he gets paid more than the Jays were offering.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't mean this in a demeaning way, but you're not a MLB GM.

Beede is a lock to go in the first round, and frankly the high 20's is probably his floor. There's a non-zero chance he gets paid more than the Jays were offering.

I'm not an MLB GM so I have no opinion on any player or prospect.. Thanks pal. You're not a MLB GM too but that doesn't stop you does it...Thought so..

I didn't say he WASN'T going to go in the high 20's or earlier. I was writing my OPINION. I personally wouldn't take him in the 20. Sorry you can't judge that. That's my opinion from what I've read and from what I've seen from him. 4 years of college, and he's a walking machine. That worries me. If doesn't worry you then good for you. We'll agree to disagree. Moving on. And also obviously he's not going to get 2.5 million because #1 their are cap pools for teams in the draft unlike previous years where you could throw out money at these kids like no tomorrow. #2 he won't go high enough to get 2.5 million. He'd have to go top 5 to get that and there is no way in hell he's going that high.

And to be quite frank, to say "I don't mean this is a demeaning way" please yes you did or you wouldn't have posted it. To take my post literally as if I'm acting like I'm a GM or something or I think I'm a GM or a know it all is a total mis judgement on your part.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I have no idea what you're talking about

You keep writing how horrible a decision Beede made, yet he's in the exact same position he was three years ago. You said that he would get $750K, and based on the slotting system that means he needs to get drafted in the 3rd round which isn't happening unless he goes the route of the Vanderbilt football team over the next week.

And no, I'm not being demeaning. Personally, I agree with your opinion that this guy is just going to walk people and I don't want the Jays to touch him. But I'm not going to use that as an argument as to why he should've signed with the Jays (especially considering if we look at the Jays track record of developing young pitchers with control problems, somewhat sure I'm OK with the Jays saving $2.5M), and especially not going to use it against him as a poor decision since every single talent evaluator in the league still seems to think he's a first round talent.

Every single consensus mock has him going at #15 to the Angels, and their slot value is...(wait for it)...

$2.475M! Poor guy lost out on $25K what a failure.

e: Seriously though I think you're just undervaluing the slots - here's the list

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yes seen it, that would suck, but I smiled when I read the analysis of the Toussaint pick.

"This is Hoffman's floor" LOL Even they know that there is no way Hoffman gets past #11 if he doesn't get picked before that.

That is my dream scenario right now. #9 Touki Toussaint, #11 Hoffman..ahh man, two potential top of the rotation starters could be within reach in 6 days. We'd have the deepest depth in the minors with pitching prospects, it would be insane. I know I keep saying this but just look at this.

Sanchez, Norris, Stroman, Toussaint, Hoffman..one word..T.A.L.E.N.T That's a whole rotation and they all have high end potential. #1's and #2's

I'd be pumped with a Hoffman toussaint draft. That would be a great haul. Looks like the belief Hoffman was going to slip a good way down May have changed

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I can't believe what happened in Boston last night. First, Farrell was ejected. Then Torey Lovullo got thrown out, the first acting manager. Then Brian Butterfield got ejeted, the second acting manager. They were down to their hitting coach as the acting manager. They had 4 different managers during the game.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Hate on former Toronto Blue Jay day apparently

Yea that's normal, fans don't understand that he is well within his right to look after his own interest as I am sure they would all be doing in his shoes. I mean the replacement pick we got for him is starting his first major league game today, I would say that's a pretty good trade off when you consider the bust rate of prospects in the baseball...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA