Speculation: Dion Phaneuf: where is he?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I admittedly haven't seen a lot of him since he left Toronto so I'm not fully able to say "he's done" but... that does seem to be a general consensus.

Not the greatest player but a pretty solid dude overall. If this is it for him then he had a solid career. Enjoy having his health, his money and a beautiful family.
Last Spring Dion also bought every meal for a PEI Junior hockey Tier 2 club for all their road games in the playoffs....maybe a drop in the bucket for him.....but still a great donation by him to the junior club in Summerside PEI . His grandparents are from PEI and he also has a Summer residence on the island .

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Surprised he hasn't got a PTO. Guy's had a pretty good career. In the right environment he could be productive again.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Surprised he hasn't got a PTO. Guy's had a pretty good career. In the right environment he could be productive again.

define productive. I do not think he will ever produce offense but I think in the right situation and motivation could be a depth veteran shut down type.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I know. But he's really not even remembered for what he was now. Which was a pretty good... what? #3? I just hope we remember more than the trade, and the buyout, and the ugly way we got to this point. He was a solid player through his prime. Not a HOFer or anything, but he's kind of become a joke, and that's not really fair either.

He was never actually that good. He was just a battering ram of a defenseman who drove people through the glass and made highlight reels for his hits, so he was held up by a certain variety of fan (and by certain dinosaur Leafs GMs) as the greatest thing ever because the rest of the league is too damn soft, blah blah blah. In reality, he was never a great skater, had the hockey IQ of a cucumber, routinely took himself out of the play to make big hits in a way that cost his team goals. If you wanted highlight reel hits, he was your guy. If you wanted to stop the other team from scoring goals, he really wasn't.

And now he's slowed down and is even worse. You can't bring him in to be physical, because he's too slow to hit people. His positional defensive awareness is that of a peanut, and he can't react in time anyway. He hasn't been a useful player in the NHL for years now, but thanks to that dumbass contract the Leafs gave him, no team has been able to afford to dump him off the ice until the Kings finally bit the bullet.

Reactions: Guitpik and Slyfox

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
He was never actually that good. He was just a battering ram of a defenseman who drove people through the glass and made highlight reels for his hits, so he was held up by a certain variety of fan (and by certain dinosaur Leafs GMs) as the greatest thing ever because the rest of the league is too damn soft, blah blah blah. In reality, he was never a great skater, had the hockey IQ of a cucumber, routinely took himself out of the play to make big hits in a way that cost his team goals. If you wanted highlight reel hits, he was your guy. If you wanted to stop the other team from scoring goals, he really wasn't.

And now he's slowed down and is even worse. You can't bring him in to be physical, because he's too slow to hit people. His positional defensive awareness is that of a peanut, and he can't react in time anyway. He hasn't been a useful player in the NHL for years now, but thanks to that dumbass contract the Leafs gave him, no team has been able to afford to dump him off the ice until the Kings finally bit the bullet.
So is a cucumber smarter than a peanut? Asking for a friend.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wheres Dion? is he asking for too much money? or does no one want him?

NHL has changed significantly in recent years to rely heavily on speed; his legs and his hockey brain cannot keep up with the NHL speed IMO so he is pretty much done.

if any team does get him it would be for a lot less money (probably close to a league minimum).

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well the Leafs still need a captain

source.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Still skating to the bench probably.

I'm sure he's disappointed with his options, not sure if he accepts a PTO, but he'd surely receive offers.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
define productive. I do not think he will ever produce offense but I think in the right situation and motivation could be a depth veteran shut down type.

He has never been defensively competent in his entire career and now, after barely being able to hold on to an NHL job last season he's going to be come a shut down blue liner?

How on earth do you figure he could do that?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Phaneuf will have made 89 million dollars when teams are finally done paying him so wherever he is I bet he is pretty happy.

He will announce his retirement around mid-season is my guess.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Phaneuf will have made 89 million dollars when teams are finally done paying him so wherever he is I bet he is pretty happy.

He will announce his retirement around mid-season is my guess.
Agreed... I dont see him going to europe to keep playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad